Jockey Journal Forum banner

ironhead right side shifter

4K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  FeHd 
#1 ·
Need a splined shift lever for a 66xl. Needs to have nice splines and be steel. Other then that it can be junk.

#3 ·
Spined shaft shifters were not in production (OEM) until 75-76 for the Sportster. You can use a 76 w/some modification. Never have I seen in my 35 yrs w/the Ironhead a aftermarket 1 that was sold to the public. Not that there isn't 1 :eek:).

#5 ·
54 K was the last splined shaft until 75......If you don't know WTF your talking about...You will tend to confuse people......

Ah ha..........The power of the internet, bet you love this place LMFAO..

#7 · (Edited)
54 K was the last splined shaft until 75......If you don't know WTF your talking about...You will tend to confuse people......

Ah ha..........The power of the internet, bet you love this place LMFAO..
Hey Thump, If People do not discuss, How would they Know?, Racers have added the SpLine part for a better set up esp when adding Air Shifters,
Write a Sportster Book when time allows so we can all be as smart..

#6 ·
I guess at some point in the life of my motor someone changed the shifter shaft and replaced it with one that is splined. Just trying to find a female splined piece that will work with it. I dont really care if its a right or left side shifter or a shift arm setup for a linkage. As long as it will clamp on to the shaft and not slide anymore. I will make it work for my needs.

Thumper I dont know my shit so is a 76 when they made sportsters left side shift? Do you think that the splines on a 76 shifter will mate to my current shift shaft?
thanks
Luke

#9 ·
I guess at some point in the life of my motor someone changed the shifter shaft and replaced it with one that is splined. Just trying to find a female splined piece that will work with it. I dont really care if its a right or left side shifter or a shift arm setup for a linkage. As long as it will clamp on to the shaft and not slide anymore. I will make it work for my needs.

Thumper I dont know my shit so is a 76 when they made sportsters left side shift? Do you think that the splines on a 76 shifter will mate to my current shift shaft?
thanks
Luke
Hey Luke, I know this is an old post, but 74 was the last year for right shift, and yes there are replacement shafts availible with splines. You can probally get a shifter with splines from V Twin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.