Jockey Journal Forum banner

got laid off today

4K views 25 replies 22 participants last post by  jahluv 
#1 ·
with the new rules i am not sure if this is the correct place to post this so if it must be deleted or moved then i apologize. i have met a few of you on here and did some work for Joel at imageoneart.com so i figured i'd post.

i got the word today that i was let go. course it was nice of em to let me build out a website for em post-haste to meet a deadline someone else effed up, and THEN tell me i was no longer needed. also great that they chose to keep my ass-kissing do nothing "supervisor" who hasn't worked a 40-hour week in about 1.5 years, literally and is the laughing stock of the company. i was told I don't conform to their needs - which basically meant they hated that i stood up for myself and my team. I told em they could go to hell and take my supervisor with them.
anyway, sporty is on egay now. xs will be soon. if anyone needs an honest worker i am available. new eng/florida/north or south carolina. maybe denver again.
i build websites, bikes, can do sales, mop floors, lug shit around, whatever.
not tryin to beg but we got an 8 week old baby so I aint too proud to ask around if anyone needs someone.
oh well - more time for garage now i guess...............

#4 ·
Man, I'm really sorry to read about you being laid off. I'm going through the same thing with my girlfriend right now. She worked her can off for a company that laid her off, after 6 yrs. I really suck at encouraging people, but at times like this, I wish I were better at it. Keep your head up!

#5 · (Edited)
Dude...

Sorry to hear about the lay off. Soulless bastards! I worked at a company for 22 years and after it went public, I couldn't handle "the rules", so I bailed. On the day I was packing up the shit in my desk, i got to thinking about the next poor son of a bitch that was gonna be sitting in my chair. I remembered something I had read about six years before. I don't know why I remembered it and I remembered it word for facking word. Here it is:

"My Shining Wad of Hate"

"There used to be a time, long ago, when killing yourself for the company
was worth it. I believed that you could eat shit and say it was porridge
for a few years and come out of it with a huge number of neurons fried, but
with enough filthy lucre in the bank that you could spend the rest of your
life working it out in a hillside bunker.........But that doesn't happen
anymore. Kill yourself now and the only thing you are is dead."

I typed it out, printed it, folded it neatly and left in the top drawer of my desk.

#7 ·
thanks everyone, if it was just me i would still be pissed but not so financially worried. with baby Olivia it makes things much more "real". i try to be a pretty standup guy. certyainly not 100% successful but i do try. i have a HUGE problem with 2 things:
1 - people stepping on another just to make a buck, get there faster, whatever
2 - people compromising their beliefs because a dollar is a stake

i just never got that mentality, or the gene for "gotta be a rich man to be happy". i like simple things, honesty, and courteousness. i dont feel shame i feel sorrow for the people i worked with who will now get more shit. anyway sorry for venting and i wont kep posting to bump the thread. but thank you all for your thoughts, it helps.

- jason

#8 ·
Sorry to hear that. I got laid off 4 weeks ago but I'm fortunate in the fact that the house is paid for so i can handle it. Hope to be back in another four weeks. Hope you get something sorted fast.

#9 · (Edited)
Where I work should be posting external jobs in my area in the next month or so...it is in the bakersfield california area.

starting pay is 20ish and after the training period you end up at 30 bucks an hour.

If you are interested in getting a link to the site PM me.

PS...we are a recession proof industry too...

EDIT: We also have tons of job postings all over the US/world too.

#10 ·
Do the unemployment thing for as long as you can and get paid under the table somewhere. Hell, we pay taxes all of our lives I would rather mine go to a hard working "joe" who got shit on than some dead beat s-o-b- that says his leg hurts and because he got a hang nail and pulls disability forever. Back to bikes, hate that you are selling the rides but that shoes how much of a stand up guy/father/husband you are. More fuck ups need to follow your example. Material shit can always be replaced in time. Hope it goes well.

#14 ·
Lotus speaks the truth, it is the new goldrush. ANY job that is out there has a home in the oil industry. Compters,mechanics,laborers etc.........amazing. I talked with a guy today that starts their grunts out at $25 an hour. Many oil companies pay 50K the first year for an 8mo work time.....hard sell 8mo on 4 off. One will even fly you to the job and put you up for those months. With a toddler, I cant do that stuff anymore. Carla and I did for a few months at a time in 02 and 03.

#15 ·
When one door closes another opens up. Keep your head up. I went through that same shit 7 years ago. I worked in the steel industry in Ohio for 6 years after I got out of the military. Laid off three times. Longest period was 6 months. It wasn't nice. My kids were babies at the time and I had a mortgage. But my wife and I got through it. Finally got fed up with the steel industry and we moved back to my hometown here in San Diego, a couple of career changes and the lay off's are just a memory now. There are alot of opportunities out there, you just have to make adjustments and get out of your comfort zone if you have to. Best of luck to you and your family. It will get better, trust me. You'll have a new gig and building the bike of your dreams in no time.

Jose

#16 ·
My last job used to lay me off short term every year. the last time was 6-7 weeks before my first son was born... scary! A bro of mine just got laid off last week, sucks, his boss was a prick tho. anyhow chin up, like they say, things happen for a reason. good things are just around the corner, and good luck to ya.

#17 ·
anyway, sporty is on egay now. xs will be soon. if anyone needs an honest worker i am available. new eng/florida/north or south carolina. maybe denver again.
i build websites, bikes, can do sales, mop floors, lug shit around, whatever. not tryin to beg but we got an 8 week old baby so I aint too proud to ask around if anyone needs someone.
oh well - more time for garage now i guess...............
I was in the same position after retuning from Iraq
spent 4 months sweating it out looking for work
with your attitude something better is around the corner
can't keep a good man down

#18 ·
Shit sorry to hear that,I was laid off two weeks before christmas last year after 7yrs in the job and was crapping myself as we had just brought a new house,I managed to through my lawyer screw 18 grand out of the prick a week later, and when I arrived home that morning the wife tells me the owner of the the local harley shop was trying to get a hold of me urgently so I go to see him and he gives me a job better money and perks so sometimes things happen for a reason and by the way that 18k is going to pay for my trip to canada,sturgis and bonniville next year and every beer I drink I'll think off that prick NOT! SO CHIN UP.

#19 ·
Been there with the office internet design ****! I just don't think my heart could ever go back to that hand softening affirmative action no soul drama. I don't think you will ever find a business in your field you could retire with. Most small design houses are flaky and income seems to be hardwired to the worst of the economy.

I've never been shit on more than in the web design/development jobs i've had. I'd love to go back to every ex employer and deliver a old fashion drop kick to the chest.

#20 ·
If you're a certified welder you could go to any shipyard or especially any place that's recently been hit by flooding or bad weather, sadly there are many this year. Those places need welders. If you are certified on aluminum, you can almost name your price. Welders apparently don't like moving I guess. A few years ago when I was in shipbuilding, we were seriously delayed in part because the contracting companies couldn't get enough welders, esp. alum. Don't know if it's exactly the same now, but I don't see why not. When times are tough, smart companies dig deep to spend instead of save and start building/updating infrastructure so when the economy does improve so they can outpace the companies that battened down and let things degrade.

#21 · (Edited)
jacobs.com

a government contractor that is always looking for mechanics- the money is unreal

https://www.cytiva.com/jacobs/ext/detail.asp?jacobs6753

that job specifically; my x made 90 g's his first year with them.

cpol.army.mil

government jobs, you can never go wrong with the benefits

trick to that website is- you need to copy and paste the job description into your resume because the key words are pick up by a computer. If you don't have enough key words a human will never see your resume and you'll never get a government job.

Good luck, spent 5 years in the Army, got out and couldn't find work...

Finally snagged sumthin good

#23 ·
Sorry to here that. We are sitting around here waiting for our company to go under. Layoffs for 80 to 19 in the last three months, contractors checks are bouncing, CEO is getting court papers, and we get weekly emails telling us we will still get paid, keep working...keep you chin up, the economy will come back soon.

Babies are happy as long as Mom and Dad are happy.

#24 ·
Sorry to here that. We are sitting around here waiting for our company to go under. Layoffs for 80 to 19 in the last three months, contractors checks are bouncing, CEO is getting court papers, and we get weekly emails telling us we will still get paid, keep working...keep you chin up, the economy will come back soon.

Babies are happy as long as Mom and Dad are happy.
Sounds like when I was a programer in the dot com era...jumping to big oil was the best thing I did.

#25 ·
sorry to hear that man. i know how stupid the web/graphic design field can be. you get one person at the top who is a mouthpiece, and really doesnt do shit. then you have a few workhorses who turn out the man hours and meet deadlines, only to be sweat shop employees who never get a raise.

good luck. if i had a lead i would help you out, but i am in Houston.

#26 ·
Sorry to read about your gig not working out. I posted this on a similar thread awhile back - it's in Los Angeles though. For the money it pays - you might want to check it out...
It's not a motorcycle industry job, but it is one of the last blue collar gigs in LA that pays high 5, low 6 figure (working OT) annual paychecks... Disadvantages, working with live electricty - little margin for error. However this job is always open because it's so difficult and most people don't get through the apprenticeship process. Advantages, big cash, lots of overtime. Tattoo friendly. You will pray for bad weather and earthquakes.

City of Los Angeles Department of Water and Power...
Weblink... https://personline.lacity.org/job_list/index.cfm?FuseAction=Showspec&CC=3878

The training course you'll need is here at LA Trade Tech College...
http://www.lattc.edu/dept/tcot/eleclnm/index.htm
JOB TITLEELECTRIC DISTRIBUTION MECHANIC

SALARY$88,343 - $101,998/ Annually

DUTIESAn Electric Distribution Mechanic performs skilled mechanical and electrical work in connection with the construction, maintenance, and repair of overhead and underground electric transmission, subtransmission, distribution, communication, and utilitarian street light lines, cables, and equipment; and may work as lead over a group of skilled craft workers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.