Jockey Journal Forum banner

triumph first start up after rebuild need help

6K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  RidingHood 
#1 ·
Ok so what im working with here is a 64 t120 bottom end completly rebuilt by myself (first time ever rebuilding a motor) and a 71 top end twenty over with the head rebilt by wes new pistons and pushrods stock cams. So here is the problem im trying to fire her up and have it wired with a boyar eletronic ign and a mighty max blabla ya know the usuall stuff to run with just a battery or a condencer (sp) any way im getting tons of spark to the spark plugs just rebulit the carbs and still getting a pop bang !! almost wanting to start and then the next few kicks nothing. I set the timing played with that a bit and set the gaps in the valves about a thousand over 2 and 4 for the break in. so where do i go from here my gusess is check the timing again for the 5 time any other ideas thanks

#9 ·
I don't think switching plug leads will do that much because it is a dual fire system. Try switching the leads on the ignition plate. I did this on one of my bikes (switch the wires when I was wiring it), and it changes the timing just a bit (don't remember how much), but once i had them properly hooked up, it fired right up.

#12 ·
Depends on the degree wheel. This one screws onto the cam. I don't think a 64 will have the TDC plug thingy So use a depth gauge or some sort of measuring device to find TDC in the spark plug hole. Does your boyer plate have two holes? Make sure your using the correct one. Check for air leaks. In all the excitement of your first build, it's easy to overlook the smallest of things. It's a process of elimination but eliminate one thing at a time or you can run yourself in circles.

#13 ·
the thats the wheel i have and the tdc thingy on the crank is not there. so a nother day to check it out im figureing things out as I go thanks for the help ill keep ya posted. Is there any way to test the black box to see if it works the way its suposto. Oh and my boyar did not come with any instructions so i was using the hole that says cw timing thats the correct hole ?? mitch

#16 ·
I am having the same problem with my triumph 650 motor. I have just finished rebuilding from the sludge trap up and I spent 5 hours in the garage today trying to fire the engine and mess with the timing. honkytonking, when you say that you are getting tons of spark to the plug do you mean that you are getting an excessive amount? I'm getting 3 sparks on the downstroke of the pistons and another 3 sparks on the upstroke. It's really throwing me for a loop. Any tips or tricks would be appreciated.

#17 ·
A Boyer goes into full advance when the supply voltage goes below 10 volts and completely malfunctions below that. the voltage on a non running bike with a Mity-Max is too low when you kicking it over. Boyer's don't work well on a "no battery" bike.

in the alternator, Did you ever replace the rotor (magnet wheel) ?

Hook up a good 12 volt battery to in a try it again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.