T140 Bonneville street tracker-kind of mix project ODDISEY - Page 8 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 10-29-2012, 10:25 PM   #141
ourmaninshanghai

Default Re: T140 Bonneville street tracker-kind of mix project ODDISEY

^^ That's creative thinking. Looks great!
ourmaninshanghai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 01:42 PM   #142
reverb

...hello Drainsurgeon, well is not a milling machine or a CNC one, so no perfection there, but I do not have other option; very rough finish, but will be right before paint.

Hello Ourmaninshanghai, I think it s the way to go if you do not want to spend a small fortune in every step outsourcing all the work.
I m not cheap, I put around 10 000 Dollars in this project...

Here photos from a lever, etc that I m trying to design to operate the rear brake by cable:

reverb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:40 PM   #143
crawler07

its awesome man! i like everthing you have done to this point and im sure each post from hear on out will be just as cool!
crawler07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2013, 08:32 AM   #144
reverb

...Crawler07; well, I ll try; thanks.

-couple of months passed and I had not time to go to the town that I have the project to continue with the build. Yesterday, with some help, I did some things.
May be some of you still interested, so I decided to take some photos.

-I had a problem with the swing arm, due to the welding, so I was in need to make some clearance between the arms.
Then I saw that the down tube of the rear frame had some kind of tweak in the middle.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:34 PM   #145
reverb

...by the way, may be any of you have opinions about to reinforce the swing arm. I mean, I stretched it about 2"...
Regarding taking curves on the road, etc.
Also, it have 2 thick washers in each side but place for only one(?). How s that?
67 frame.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:38 AM   #146
vintagespeed

love this project! might add larger gussets top & bottom of the swingarm to strengthen it and fill in the front before the tire.

that's JunkBitch to you.
vintagespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:50 PM   #147
reverb

...hello, Vintagespeed,
yes, but I do not know if should I go with flat ones, top and bottom like you say or make others like the originals and welded in the same way (inside) not top and bottom...

Also, I read somewhere that the swing arms should have some lateral flex...is that right?
so, if that s correct what s would be the right length or thickness (if its flat) for those gussets?

I checked some pictures of guys who in the past stretched the s arms but I could not see if they made gussets or some kind of inserts to strengthen its

thanks
Old 01-29-2013, 08:06 PM   #148
ourmaninshanghai

Reverb - this should provide some answers: http://victorylibrary.com/brit/chassis-2a.htm
ourmaninshanghai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:44 PM   #149
reverb

Hello Ourmaninshanghai, time ago I read that page but I forget about it; thanks to reminds me and I ll weld something similar but smaller.

-Now I have a big problem with the rear frame that I do not know how to fix it.
I do not have a photo right now, but the thing is that I have the rear wheel aligned regarding main loop and sprocket, however, the right side is too close from the shock; so the wheel is not equidistant to the sides (to the shocks)
I have checked the frame but the down tubes do not look twisted anymore.
It s around 5/8" more closer to the right side (but the wheel remains aligned)
I do not how to fix it at this point and this thing do not let me to continue further.
Its not a problem for the spindle spacers, etc; the problem is in the rear frame itself.
That 5/8 is on top, where the downtubes meet the side tubes in the mount for the top eyebolt of the shocks.
I do not know why the frame is in that condition, because you look at it and seems straight.
Also I was thinking in different ways to bring it (push it) to the other side to achieve symmetry but all are kind of butchering stuff...
I m a bit frustrated with the frame thingy, many hours wasted and still plenty of problems.

Hope some of you can put a bit of light on this subject or may be know that these things were somewhat normal in the past...

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:38 PM   #150
drumrooster

Keep posting brother...I got a 76 t140 that i"m gonna build as a keeper..thanks for the pics and time to post them..
Old 04-09-2013, 09:55 PM   #151
reverb

...well, long time, I managed to make those kms to the garage where I have the bike; here s an update Drumrooster and to the other guys that are interested.

So finally I massaged all the rear frame, heated the tubes, heated the swinging arm again and finished with an acceptable symmetry. Also pulled out (by heating the weld not by cut) the top rear part, that by the way was an add for the previous owner.
However, there s no room for the chain...the sprocket is centered straight with the rear sprocket . The chain will be in contact with the wheel and that s plain crap. I just have about 1/8 to that side on the hub, but seems not enough with a 130/90.

-I designed this spacer that act as dust cover too and have the same style that what I did for the front hub. I ll chrome it like the other.
Here some photos:
EDIT to fix the photo problem

Last edited by reverb; 04-10-2013 at 10:34 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:36 AM   #152
crawler07

so your tire sidewall sticks out past the sprocket?
crawler07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:30 PM   #153
bp131

Some of your pics say "moved or deleted". I was never good at reading comprehension...can you adjust the spokes on one side to move it over. Also, I extended the swingarm on my TR6 about 1 1/2" and it handles really nice on windy roads and is for fun for fishtails in the dirt.
bp131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:39 PM   #154
reverb

...both sprockets are aligned and the middle of the wheel is aligned to the center of the main loop...
so if I move the hub more will I have a not so straight chain?

-I extended this about 2"; I ll see how handle it..

I dunno what happened with the photos, I put em again
Old 04-13-2013, 09:04 AM   #155
bobbydeville

This is by far one of the best build threads I have read. Awesome work your doing to that Trump! Keep up the good work!
bobbydeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:34 PM   #156
reverb

...Bobbydeville, thanks for your kind words; I guess, is because I post all the problems that I have been found on building from scratch and trying to sort them out someway or another.

- it was raining so I decided to let the Triumph in the bike port and grab the vespa style scooter and ride those 25 kms to where I have the project. Not so incredible to drive under bad weather (there s too many arseholes in the road+ low visibility) but a friend was going to be there to help me a bit with the rear frame so I just went.

-I m not very happy with the wideness of the frame there, so these photos are kind of a mock up of that tail not really welded.
The small fender goes ON the frame, so cover it, hence will be too wide in my opinion. Like have too much light between the tire and the side of the fender. So the wheel will looks like a thinner thing losing "visual power". Will be different if the tire is just thin.
The frame on the shocks part have around 10 inches wide.
In my rigid Triumph I did an 8 inch fender that can hold another guy seated there. I need to weld that tube there with a strut inside of course, due to have a tail that can hold and support a person...so I do not know how to thinned out a bit that tail.
The other thing, but I dunno about the look, is make a fender strut similar to the sportsters ones.
It s very difficult to visualize all these from scratch.
I accept suggestions.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:12 AM   #157
Daddy Boy
Banned

G'day there Reverb, 130 tyre is too big, 120 will work as far as chain is concerned.
I had to go back to find out how ya welded the swingarm, I was a bit concerned, I extended mine by re fabbing the fork that holds the axle 'longer', but I only went 1 1/2".
Mate, I'm not trying to be a smart arse but get rid of the paint and rust with a flapdisc before you weld oil tank,and chamfer the pipe joints so you have a 'vee' for weld to fill and fully penetrate so when you grind it back flat....well you get the picture?

Hey the bike sits nice, the work is authentic and classy, keep rollin man!!
Browny

Last edited by Daddy Boy; 04-16-2013 at 02:52 AM.
Daddy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:57 AM   #158
Dash47331

Even after all the problems getting the right parts you are building an awesome bike!
I like the way you are going about things to make your dream come true. That's art!
Dash47331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:46 PM   #159
reverb

...hello Daddyboy, sorry for the delay with the response; I have a 120/80/16 low profile on the 500 rigid and looks somewhat lost on the bike and more with the swinging arm.
I see that lot of people use the 130s...
Regarding the extension, I went around 2 inches, so not too far from you; and looks strong; I used a solid rod and butted both sides then did couple of holes to penetrate with the Bronze...hope all it s strong.
I do not see the problem in the oil tank that you describe; please put more light on it.
But I have the tank welded and do not have leaks...

-hello Dash47331, thanks man.

I just trying to figure out the tail however I do not like it, too wide.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:56 PM   #160
reverb

...hello, for now I decided to get rid of the cable idea for the brakes and did this thing.
I have little space regarding chain clearance (by side)
I do not have good photos but I welded couple of bushes on the motor mounts where the rod pivots when you push the brake pedal, then an L shaped thing where the brake rod is attached.