T140 Bonneville street tracker-kind of mix project ODDISEY - Page 13 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 12-09-2016, 05:12 AM   #241
Goldy

Default Re: T140 Bonneville street tracker-kind of mix project ODDISEY

This is going to be one heck of a nice machine...keep it coming!
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2016, 05:14 AM   #242
jhays79

Looking really nice man!

https://www.instagram.com/gypsy_nightmare/
jhays79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 08:12 AM   #243
richbob

Yes looking very good

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

"Ultimately were all dead men"(Oliver Reed.Gladiator)
richbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2017, 08:33 AM   #244
reverb

...hello, thank you. Regarding updates happened two things: last year I had a very bad year talking about work (and many more stuff), so now appeared and need to put my mind on it.
Then I m losing (my religion) the attitude to complete the bike.
Anyway, I have been doing many silly stuff again; the problem is that now I have the frame painted etc so re weld cut etc is not so good.
I rebuilt the forks; to do that I dismantled it around 6 times; but I do not have a jack (still looking for a really small one that fits under the frame)
so was very difficult to hang the bike and work with the forks (I have the shoulder damaged to have a surgery so I damaged even more)
Then I decided to put the metal covers but somehow the forks does not fit right in the bike so I needed to make a distant piece¿? then weld another piece for the lock key in the painted frame.
Now, I do not know why the chain touch the adapted swing arm...it will need a cut and weld too but to put that swing arm was almost impossible and I did it with only the frame and up in my bed.
Always wanted a speedometer but I have an HD rim so never found the right answer about the possible speed ratio etc; then I found an expensive German unit that comes with a sensor for a rotating mass so do you not need any of these Smiths devices, but it needs a battery...but I modified the frame so not space for one...then seems that it needs resistor plugs...but I have a magneto so normal plugs here. The dilemma is to put or not resistor plugs; may be not so much spark power for kicking the motor¿?
To prevent long time ago I bought an universal clutch cable kit from Venhill but is a crap (never opened until few weeks ago) so I needed to make a complete one by myself, but I did not find a thicker lining, hence I made some adapters. Finally to mock up I used a cylinder nut with screw like the VW bugs have it but may be was not the right model because it cannot hold the pressure of the handle bar lever and felt inside the gbox so I need to open the box to fish the fucker

I really wants to finish this bike at least get it on the streets. I need a bit more focus and willpower to do it.

Last edited by reverb; 02-14-2017 at 10:14 AM.
reverb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 06:36 PM   #245
reverb

...hi,
so to leave all this stuff and after market spares that do not want to cooperate, I put my hands on the tank.
This is other tank that came from US too; had a big dent under the bondo, of course in the front. I do not remember if I commented this in previous post but long time ago I let it with a Ford A "restorer" to get rid of that dent so I do not need to use bondo...months later and the guy (that do not know shit about CURVED surfaces or lines) still did not do anything, I decided to go to his wshop and see what happened; the guy shows me the tank and say "its almost done"; not curved surface ALL the area straight...(remember Ford A s and like that; they are all rounded)

Alright fast forward to this week and I painted it.
Several months with ideas that fit better in a Cadillac than in a street tracker with a slim tank so I discarded them and decided with this motive.
You know the concept behind mainly is to use this slim factory tank (that I think is the best stock tank ever included all the marques and with second place for the Sporty king)
Second that I modified the rear frame to suit visually that slimness etc.
Third, that I m building a Triumph, a modified one, but not a chopper with a Triumph engine. Frame, tank, forks, silhouette and stance would be Triumph or very similar.
Triumph always used two tones and pinlines with scallops and sometimes competition stripes. Many times with White.
It will be a daily driver so I do not wanted the flashy way, with too hot colors; also sportive but with a classy touch.
Based and all that I decided for this color combo and pattern.

-The White is a tri coat paint and looks like "mother of pearl".
-Black, is candy and have a Blue shadow and a bit of blue pearls, then I sprinkled over, Silver. You only see that under the Sun if not you see Black only.
-Grey is PU opaque. I will try to let it matte. Still unsure about what procedure to use to obtain it.

--There are couple of imperfection, mainly due to I do not have a stand and a proper way to rotate it, so no options but handling and eyeballing the masking tapes, too much time between coats etc.

Here I am now. Next step is to sand the ridges and sand it all over.
They say that this special clear is very difficult to sand if I let too much time...I hope to have that necessary time tomorrow.

Old 04-20-2017, 01:49 AM   #246
richbob

Nice Good job
looks Flashy to me.

"Ultimately were all dead men"(Oliver Reed.Gladiator)
richbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:33 AM   #247
CookieMonster

That looks fantastic, can't wait to see it on the bike...
Old 04-20-2017, 11:15 AM   #248
vorhese

man looking great
Old 04-20-2017, 11:34 AM   #249
Ratso

Yes. Looks real good. Sorry you're having difficulties in other areas.
Ratso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:25 AM   #250
reverb

...thank you guys.

That is the less flashy that I thought, so I am debating myself about to do or not to do pinlines to separate the colors. Would be better in the finish department but even more flashy and not so sporty..I need to decide it in the next hours

-I am open to suggestions to what to do with the oil tank and the rear mudguard.
Triumphs oil tanks are Black but they have a cover to prevent the direct sunlight. This tank is too thin and if I painted black could be a problem in the Summer time.
But if I paint all with the same pattern the bike will look to thin and light.
May be to paint the rear fender mostly Black with accents in White?
May be to paint the tank mostly White?

After removed the underside tapes I found some spots stained with Black (on the white) so I need to retouch somehow that area. Is difficult due to that tri coat stuff. I know that nobody see that area but better do it right.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:41 PM   #251
KCgran

I think you HAVE to put trim lines to separate the colors, I would go for a medium blue like on a WD40 can. But super thin like a 1/16"( 1.6 mm). If something more subtle is desire I would use a dark burgundy color.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:58 PM   #252
reverb

...that burgundy color is what I was thinking if I do them. Or silver mixed with white.

By the way, what s exactly what appears in that photo?
Old 04-21-2017, 02:16 PM   #253
image1

i like it a lot!!

pinstripes will really make it pop!

Quote:
This tank is too thin and if I painted black could be a problem in the Summer time.
worried about heat? paint color is not going to make a difference...

Random Chopper Goodness at the link below....
http://r4yl.blogspot.com/
image1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:45 PM   #254
reverb

...I touched the black part and the white part in that photos under the Sun and the difference was relevant...
Old 04-21-2017, 05:23 PM   #255
CookieMonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverb View Post
...I touched the black part and the white part in that photos under the Sun and the difference was relevant...

Different story with air cooling it while riding.

I like the tank as it is, but Joel's judgement is waaaay better than mine. Could you put strips of thin blue tape between the colours to see what it looks like?
Old 04-21-2017, 06:47 PM   #256
Ratso

Stripe it. It'll look homemade and cheap if you don't.
Ratso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 03:03 PM   #257
KCgran

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverb View Post
...that burgundy color is what I was thinking if I do them. Or silver mixed with white.

By the way, what s exactly what appears in that photo?
The picture posted upside down, heck, I'm not even sure how it got there. But I have some stones just off my front porch that I balance on top of each other and call them my weather/ earthquake rocks. If they're wet, it's raining. If they're white, it's snowing. If they're dry it's clear. If they aren't stacked anymore, we had an earthquake... or a stray cat knocked them over.
Old 04-23-2017, 03:59 PM   #258
reverb

...I saw only one stone or a ball of bondo or surf wax or something welded.

-still I did not do the pinlines due to a bad gasoline in my other (Triumph daily rider) bike, so I had to dismantled the carburetor and stuff twice and throw away 10 liters. Among other stuff.

So I painted with a brush cheater pinlines to see what s going on but still unsure.
I tell you that I always do pinlines in the surfboards but normally is a two tone separation or to delimit different areas of crazyness resin swirls or over a given color like pin stripping but 3 colors back to back with gloss/matte finish still looks more racy to me.

-I am thinking if I do the pinlines I should apply another clear coat to sand it flat again before last coat

Last edited by reverb; 04-23-2017 at 04:31 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:25 PM   #259
CookieMonster

What, no pics?!
Old 04-30-2017, 04:58 PM   #260
reverb

...hi;
not so many photos and not so much to show. Anyway today I had the time to do the last coat of clear. Initially, I taped and did a light coat with blue pearls over Black then started with the final coat but suddenly the gun play me a trick and sprayed pretty bad so to try to save the coat I applied it too thick the solvent also dried wrong so now I am finished with a very bad coat with plenty of pinholes trapped between the coats etc. I do not know what to do now; if were only 1 color I would sand it out all but these scheme took me time and sand it down is a real downer.

I decided to go without the pinlines, as the grey thick scallop act as one, in my opinion; if were only two colors probably I would do them. Also I checked some Guzzis, Triumphs and BMWs that have stripes back to back and variations an all are without pinlines and look good.

-I still do not decide with the rear mudguard; I taped similar scheme but is like too much for me; the other way is to paint it all Black; but I never liked an all Black bike...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4706.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	234930   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4705.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	192.6 KB
ID:	234938