T140 Bonneville street tracker-kind of mix project ODDISEY - Page 11 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 02-16-2016, 07:01 PM   #201
reverb

Default Re: T140 Bonneville street tracker-kind of mix project ODDISEY

...the other day I worked on the brake action. After tried with a rod then thought about mini master cylinders, slaves pistons ratios etc I m trying this cable thingy; is not the coolest stuff but may be it can work in an easy way...
Is based loosely in Nortons brake.
All is SS; of course the nuts are not those; only for the mock up.

reverb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2016, 08:21 AM   #202
Mike Britton

What effect will the movement of the swing arm have on the cable? Any?
Logic dictates that since the wheel and the swing arm move in unison all will be good, but sometimes the real world surprises us....I really like the fab work.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:18 PM   #203
reverb

...hello Mike; well, hope that do not have any but this is trail and error...
The "fork" there seems to help with that.
Still not sure if it really brakes.
Will be another spring in the brake plate, similar to the stock one.

Old 03-15-2016, 07:49 PM   #204
reverb

...hello; the other day I made the seat pan; is for the me and a possible passenger.
Still I do not know how to hold to the frame; mainly the rear part. Well, I would not put anything there if not I lose the lines so Im thinking to put any kind of grab where the "flat" part meets that fender cover part.
Im open to ideas if you want to throw away them.

Here s some pictures:
Thanks

Old 03-19-2016, 01:25 AM   #205
70Bonnie

Regarding the rear brake...

Here are some photos of the right brake conversion on the '65. I've taken them in series from "big picture" to details. The last one is blurry, but is really there just to show the location of the brake pedal on the right. The picture from underneath showing the brake pedal spindle (shaft) following just under the front of the swing arm is VERY similar to some of the pictures you've posted and shows the curved lever discussed below.

I think you're on the right track with the brake lever welded to the brake pedal spindle set up, and as you can see in the pictures, it looks like the key to this is a curved or angled lever pointing up rather than down and uses the standard brake rod (or something close to it). It looks like the lever is curved to clear the swing arm bolt but it actually moves in between the bolt and the engine mount plate. This set up will require the lever on the drum to point up in stead of down too (as the stock setup is). The clearance is very tight, but you may be able to pull it off (sorry I don't know how your late model engine mates geometrically with your older frame), but it looks like you have about as much clearance as I do between the swing arm bolt and the left rear engine mount plate (practically nothing!). If your swing arm bolt is closer to the plate than mine is and you have no clearance at all, then maybe you can fabricate a lever with more of a curve to clear the bolt?

As far as the curved brake lever throw is concerned, with the brake rod adjusted properly to the brake drum lever, it only moves forward about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch when the brake pedal is fully depressed. Didn't actually measure it, but probably closer to 1/2". Not much movement at all!

Hope this helps!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0130.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	937.8 KB
ID:	210553   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0131.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	906.0 KB
ID:	210561   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0132.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	899.9 KB
ID:	210569  

Name:	IMG_0133.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	903.8 KB
ID:	210577   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0134.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	883.7 KB
ID:	210585   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0135.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	859.4 KB
ID:	210609  

Name:	IMG_0136.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	883.6 KB
ID:	210617  
70Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 06:32 AM   #206
Mike Britton

Always wanted to try this, never did because it looked too complicated. Looking at these pictures it's more simple than I expected.
Old 03-19-2016, 12:29 PM   #207
reverb

...hello 70bonnie, thank you for your time. It really helps to have a person who actually use that system.
Do not get it two things:
1- how that piece between the swingarm and the engine mount plate is hold.
2-what type of movement does there? up I think; so did you made a bush or bearing to pivot it?
Old 03-20-2016, 12:30 AM   #208
70Bonnie

No problem!

1. The piece between the swing arm and engine mount is welded to the brake spindle (bar) just to the inside of the engine mount. The bar then goes into the hole in the mount. In my case it's the existing boss where the stock left hand brake pedal goes. Have a look at the two attached photos of my 1970 Bonnie (sorry about the quality!), and you'll see the standard left hand brake setup from the outside (for reference) and the lever for the standard set up with the unpainted steel brake rod going into the lever just behind the swing arm bolt. What you can't see is that the lever is not straight up and down, it's actually at more of an angle toward the rear of the bike, and when the pedal is depressed, the end of the lever that connects to the brake rod rotates forward and up, but doesn't rotate between the engine mount and the swing arm bolt, but there is room if it needed to (but not much).

2. The end of the lever that connects to the brake rod rotates forward when the brake pedal is depressed. On the left side where the brake lever spindle goes into the boss, there is no bushing or bearing, just grease because there is plenty of bearing surface for the spindle. The right side does not have the boss and is mounted the same way... just grease. If I were to keep it this way, I'd put in a bushing because the plate is thin and sooner or later it could get worn to an oval or a groove could be worn into the spindle on that side. If you put a boss similar to what you did here http://s557.photobucket.com/user/the...ypjam.jpg.html on both sides I'd say you'd be OK.

I should have the assembly removed tomorrow and I'll post some pictures of it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0138.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	577.7 KB
ID:	210641   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0139.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	630.0 KB
ID:	210649  

Last edited by 70Bonnie; 03-20-2016 at 12:59 AM.
Old 03-20-2016, 12:58 PM   #209
reverb

...I think that the main difference is that in the 67 frame you do not have the swing arm spindle passing through the engine mount; so I cannot make a hole in that lever to have enough space (due to the spindle nut) so my action (there are pictures in previous pages) with that system is backwards (that lever point to the ground) so the brake long rod does not pull...

-I wait for those pictures.

Thanks
Old 03-22-2016, 12:37 AM   #210
70Bonnie

Here you go!

Yes, the on the '67 the swing arm does not pass through the engine mount. I don't remember seeing that in your pictures though. On your bike, at least the right side has clearance and there is a hole in the mount that looks like you can tighten the swing arm through, and going off of memory, I don't think the left side has this hole. Nevertheless, if clearance is an issue, I think you could make that lever piece more of an extreme backwards "C" shape so that when it's activated in "pull" with the lever pointing up, it rocks forward, but it never comes in contact with the swing arm pivot bolt.

In the first picture, I'm holding the pivot and lever piece in the approximate location that the engine mount holds it. On the '70 in an earlier picture that same piece is holding the brake rod is a little further back, but the pivot is in the same place (it's basically if not exactly the same mount). So, the lever doesn't have to be straight up and down, it just has to be able to move forward.

The remainder of the pictures show how the brake spindle assembly is mounted to the engine mounts and how the spindle is configured. For orientation, note that as the mounts sit on the bench, the front of the mount (that attaches to the engine with the three bolts) are facing up and the rear of the mount is down (on the bench).

If you do operate the brake with a "push," you'll have to use something stronger than the flimsy stock brake rod, maybe a piece of angle aluminum or angle steel to reduce flex in the rod. I don't know how well that will work or how effective the brake would be in that configuration (be cautious with that!). When the brake is in pull, you have a whole lot more leverage.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0140.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	904.6 KB
ID:	210833   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0146.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	915.1 KB
ID:	210849   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0149.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	588.4 KB
ID:	210865  

Name:	IMG_0150.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	997.8 KB
ID:	210873  
Old 03-22-2016, 11:21 AM   #211
reverb

...hello man, this time very clearly; very informative photos; specially the first one.
I very similar to what I did; check page number 9 for a bit of explanation and photos.
The different thing is that I did not found that space regarding the plates and mainly with the chain; but seems that is possible...
So, that lever does not touch the swing arm nut? and with that minimum movement is effective?

Thank you again.
Old 03-23-2016, 12:25 AM   #212
70Bonnie

Hey reverb. Any time. Glad those gave you a better idea of my setup. Yes! it's VERY similar. If the lever is right on the inside of the engine mount, you'll clear the chain by about an inch (the rod will be to the left of the chain on a stock setup as it connects to the brake shoe actuation arm on the drum). You'll need about 1/4" minimum between the lever and the engine plate so you can fit the brake rod through the lever. In the pictures above you can see a joggle in the lever where the brake rod attaches to get this clearance. Lever does not touch the swing arm nut and the movement (1/2" - 3/4") is enough to stop the back wheel completely.

Judging from this picture, http://s557.photobucket.com/user/the...13532.jpg.html from page 9, you may not have as much room as I do between the swing arm nut and engine plate, so as an alternative, I've sketched out the setup I mentioned earlier with the backward "C" (see attached photo). Your setup with the existing straight lever welded to the brake spindle is shaded, the alternate method (if little to no clearance) is shown as a dashed line (---). You may be able to get away with what you already made if you adjust it so it's positioned at more of a 2 o'clock position rather than straight up and down or 1 o'clock position.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0157.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	958.0 KB
ID:	210929  

Last edited by 70Bonnie; 03-23-2016 at 12:38 AM.
Old 03-23-2016, 04:34 PM   #213
reverb

...hello, yes previously you d mentioned that C lever and I understood.
I remember that I discarded all the "up" levers possibilities due to the chain, but I will check again. That will be next week due to I have the bike in other town.
As you see I went with the cable route but a rod always looks, so if I found that there s enough space like you have in your model and this cable thingy is not so incredible, I ll detach everything and start again with what you propose.

No doubt that the picture showing the lever and swing arm pivot without the mounting plate shows the light that I needed before, but still I think that I do not have enough space for the chain.

Thanks
Old 03-25-2016, 10:03 AM   #214
70Bonnie

Look forward to hearing what you find out! Now that I have most everything out of the way, I'll post a picture this weekend that shows the engine/swingarm/chain/brake rod install on the '65, and as assembled (with the chain guard) on the '67 so you can get an idea of the chain clearance.
Old 03-25-2016, 11:51 AM   #215
supercrouton

Nice work on the fiberglass seat pan! Since you are a maker of surf boards, I would expect you are quite experienced at laying up 'glass.

Angry Monkey Motorcycles official website
supercrouton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 09:21 PM   #216
reverb

...in first instance I wanted to not put anything plastic in the bike; so in this case I had a nice SS sheet but then I saw that I do not have the right tools to try a curvy shape like that with a metal sheet. The idea of the SS pan was due to the seat pan would have couple of parts visible so the mix of the "leather" and SS is good in my opinion.
In this other version I ll paint it Black, I think.

Thanks
Old 07-18-2016, 06:56 PM   #217
reverb

...hello, two months ago I had a flood in my house and still I do not have a functional bathroom, bedroom, etc; then my daily driver Triumph broke a shell bearing...so not too much time;
Basically I have been doing or re doing some parts again; also, the welding changed a bit some measurements; many wasted time.
In this case for the seat pan, I wanted a simple yet functional fit, so I used 3 screws with 2 nuts in each one; in that way, I can make the upholstery work but still you can detach the seat with the other nut.

--Remember that I have the rear brake on the other side so I put the Lucas type brake switch on the right side behind the pillion foot tab; the switch and cables are hidden there.

Old 07-30-2016, 10:57 AM   #218
reverb

...do not know what happened but I had a big gap there between the spacer and the hub; so now I have this one made from SS that have and edge to fit inside the chromed one and a protrude to the bearing.

-I had the old 4 screws rocker boxes, time ago I found a 76 with the 6 screws and then a proper ex 79; so I dismantled the rockers and sent them to polish. It s very easy to pull out the spindle with a press.

Last edited by reverb; 07-31-2016 at 01:10 PM.
Old 07-30-2016, 02:48 PM   #219
Lester

looking good !
'75 BMW R90 stock
'83 BMW R100 commuter
'72 Triumph Bonneville Nothing special
'70s Jawa speedway DT500
'80 couple og Jap bikes too
Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 05:59 PM   #220