Project: NorField - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 10-22-2010, 06:52 PM   #1
thegreasepit

Default Project: NorField

I've had several requests to do a build thread on this bike, but this project is pretty much finished after a year and a half of bustin' my ass during my lunch breaks and long nights on the weekend, it's running and been slowly breaking the motor in when I have the time.
Quick history on this build:
This is a super budget build in the $5-6k range which I only happened to go over about $500 bucks. Not bad. A local old machinist has a small horde of brit bikes in Indio, CA (yeah, Indio of all places) and met him while working for Mitch Bergeron. I finally talked him down to $600 after 4 months of negotiating.

This was my first time ground up build, cutting my teeth learning TIG and machining. Lots of trial and error, or trial and FUCK THIS, I'm not looking at this damn thing for a week.

What the basket case looked like picking it up.

Mitch demanding a pose on the newly acquired project.

Quickly stripping the bike down to asses the amount of work ahead of me. I was WAY off.

First order of business was tearing the engine down, and getting it cleaned and rebuilt with fresh internals.

Standard size bore that had been rebuilt , then probably stuffed away in the corner where I found it. Everything looked pretty good. I tore the crank down to find the sludge-trap clean as a whistle.

After a case of carb/brake cleaner and a scrub brush... and a massive chemical high, I saw the light, then blacked out.

Got the heads (and cylinders) looking from shit to shiny with a quick blast in the booth and lots of elbow grease hand polishing the heads.

After that was finished, I got the cylinders bored and honed, then set the ring gap. Then shot them with 4 coats of hi-temp gloss black.

Every single thing on that bike needed a good clean and polish. The timing cover was cracked and got that welded, sanded, then polished. Some before/ after pics, all done the hard way, by hand. Wish I had a decent bench polisher handy.

I have a feeling this will take me a while to post all the pics and procedure, so I'll do it in steps over a couple days.

Leavin' work so I'll continue this tomorrow.
thegreasepit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2010, 08:56 PM   #2
hatchethairy

Default Re: Project: NorField

motor looks tough. anxiously awaiting updates.

hatchethairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 02:12 PM   #3
thegreasepit

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchethairy View Post
motor looks tough. anxiously awaiting updates.
Here ya go.

I originally wanted to run the stock 376 Amal carb that came with the bike, since it would save some cash and be more period correct, but I found a damn good deal on a set of 930 carbs and couldn't pass 'em up. I've wanted to keep this thing late 50's early 60's period correct, but I also wanted this bike to be quick. Knowing RE's aren't widely known for their speed, this bike needed some serious upgrades starting with the carburetors.
Before finding the 930's, I got the original carb cleaned up after years of collecting dust.

I let this bastard sit in carb cleaner for about 3 days and then gave it a good cleaning.

I still have this carb sitting in a box and not sure what to do with it.
Here was my next project that took months of cleaning and tracking down parts - most was from Hitchcock's Motorcycles in England. All was well except for the thing wouldn't fire. All it took was a good re-magnetization done by Wes at Four Aces.

A 'before' pic

Everything was stripped off this. Looked like the previous owner was stuck with this as the last thing to get the bike running (the engine had a fresh rebuild) but was stuck finding parts. Hitchcock's has a vast supply of original Lucas parts including points and cover. It was pretty rad seeing all this vintage stuff come in the mail.

Turned out pretty sweet. I had to use some #10 machine screws to keep the cover on and 1/4" set screws to keep the coil in, but it works fine.

I should get back to the engine assembly and modifications.

Like I said before, REs aren't known for their speed...with the exception with the Constellation, which boasted a top speed of 105+mph back in '58. Anyway, I knew to make good power is with good cams and good carbs. I started with getting a fresh +40 bore with new pistons and along with new cams. The Constellation had bigger cams than the Super Meteor, but I came across MegaCycle as an alternative.

I sent them my original cams to be welded and re-ground and was suggested to contact R/D for some good valve springs. After getting my cams back, I sent R/D the spec sheet and got a set of hi-po springs about 2 weeks later.

I really wanted race-spec cams. I got them.

After nearly shitting myself out of excitement, I decided to use the upcoming Saturday to put the bottom end and cases together.

Saturday came around and ran into a BIG PROBLEM....the cam lobes were too big to fit inside the case!!! Holy Fuck this bike's gonna scream, I was thinking to myself as I used a carbide bit to enlarge the cam openings in the case. After 3 hours and lots of cleaning, the cams finally fit and the case was sealed together.

Here's to trying to set the timing, which is a major pain in the dick. I hate it, but it's one step closer to running time.

I wanted this motor to breathe well so I did some modifications here and there.

more continued in a minute.

Old 10-24-2010, 03:12 PM   #4
thegreasepit

During my engine build and waiting for parts, I got working on the frame. There were several options: buying a real Norton featherbed, buying an aftermarket featherbed, or making my own. Being on a budget, spending 500-2000 on a frame was out of the question. I had experience modifying frames, but never built one from scratch. Since I could not find blueprints or dimensions of a featherbed, I utilized google and printed tons of pictures and settled on making a slimline as I heard the widelines were less comfortable to ride on.

I made a frame jig using the stock Enfield frame and set the neck, swing arm, and engine mounts.

I brought Mitch a bunch of pictures, as he has 15 years of frame building under his belt, but though I was fucking crazy to make this type of frame. He kept telling me to 'just buy a frame' because making one would be a PITA. He was right.
My obsession with building this bike was all about weight - the lighter the bike, the faster it goes. He suggested using chromoly and special ordered two 12' lengths of 1.25x.90 tubing. This fucker will be LIGHT just how I wanted.

The original triple trees off the Super Meteor was out of the question as they used screw in fork tubes and I wanted trees with pinch bolts to use any 35mm front end that I wanted. I found a set of aluminum triple trees from an Ossa and had a neck machined by the gent I bought the bike from.

Yeah, I'm this guy.

The coolest thing about getting custom parts machined is handing the machinist a slip of paper and getting a part in-hand a couple days later

There is a Kaman Bearings store two doors down from the machinist. All I needed was to pick up the part, and walk down to the bearing place.

Now the fun (actually, the hard part) begins.

Brought to you by a cheap, but decent beer.

The 'T' section behind the transmission locates the swing-arm plates which is approximately stock location.
This frame took so much trial and error getting the tube bends to line up, making sure the engine is square, and trying to keep the right dimensions using only pictures of frames/complete motorcycles I printed off google.

This could easily have been left a 'wideline' frame with adding the two loops and calling it a day, but that would have been too easy - I'm a glutton for punishment... I needed a slimline.

Templates were made from heavy paperboard and transferred to 1/4" chromoly plates (Mitch had leftover scrap from some custom experimental aircraft parts he made - lucky me).

Plasma cutters kick ass.

The original swing arm.

I made the mistake of setting the neck too high and had the top tube curve up to meet the neck. I noticed my error after buying a FG Manx 'sprint' tank and have it not fit.

The light sanded area on the right loop in the center, and on the left loop below the main, rear bend is where I needed to sleeve the frame when the tubes were a little off or didn't line up right. PITA frame.

More on the next post.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:47 PM   #5
thegreasepit

Guess I'm limited to 20 pics a post...

All I really had left was to make the rear loops for the shocks. Some Norton frames has the loop that holds the fender with straight supports, but I like the two loops better.

Here's me thinking this bike would be wayyyy to tiny for me to ride. I'm 6' 2' and this frame feels like it should have pedals.

The picture sitting on the frame with pretty much all I had to work with. What I'd give for some simple dimensions...

Shock mounts were the last thing I fabbed for this bike, and being slightly intimidated that I would fuck something up, I procrastinated. To tell you the truth, it was pretty damn easy. More templates, plasma cutting, and hammer-with-vice bending, and a bit of welding was all it took.

The left upper shock mount had to be moved 1/4" outside as the shocks interfered with the chain/sprocket. The two tabs under the main loops hold the mufflers in place and the short tubes on the shock loops hold the seat in place. The seat has two short tubes on that. When the seat is lowered on the frame, the tubes line up and a pin slides through the tubes. It works, but I wish I made something easier.

Now on to the transmission mounts.

Not sure why I completely forgot to re-use the stock transmission mounts as I want to kick my own ass for doing so. These mounts work fine.

A Manx seat I picked up from Clubman Racing. These guys are cool and a breeze to deal with. Surprisingly, the seat fit the frame perfectly. Shit, what a stressful time thinking nothing was gonna fit right.

Some aluminum intake manifolds I fabbed up and used that opportunity to learn aluminum with the TIG. Mitch wasn't much help, he just watched me till I screwed something up. Tough love.

A year and some change after picking up the basket case, the engine was finally finished.

Only after getting the bike running, I realized what a stupid idea tilting the carbs up was, spending hours getting the floats to not flood or lean out. It looks cool though.

After my engine was done, I had a short list of thing left to finish. Wheels and brakes were next on my list.

After two months debating wheel/tire size, Mitch flipped a coin deciding between 18/18" or 19/19"s. I bought 18"s. Buchanan provided me with some shouldered Excel rims and stainless spokes after draining my wallet. Definitely worth the purchase, but I can be a real cheap ass sometimes and cringe remembering how much building a bike actually costs.

Knowing this bike will like seriously go, like, way fucking fast, reliable braking (while maintaining my budget) was paramount. The best alternative to a real Manx or Fontanta/ Grimeca 4LS was the Suzuki 750 hub. Found this gem on eBay for about $300 and spent another $60 getting the controls and brake cables. I got the hub laced and trued in record time!

Working on the rear hub was the real pain. Had a massive fit after Buchanan took weeks to get the spokes back and sending ones that were too long, even after 5+ phone calls confirming hub dimensions. After having them trim down the spokes, the wheel laced together in about 15 minutes.

The rear hub:

To

After tons of polishing and crap, both wheels with tires. God damn that's secksee.

More updates tomorrow.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:01 PM   #6
kickstarts

What a great thread.

Now I have to wait til tomorrow...
kickstarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:40 PM   #7
English Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstarts View Post
What a great thread.

Now I have to wait til tomorrow...
Agreed. More please!
English Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 05:02 PM   #8
Dr. Benway
Mod Squad

Homebuilt Featherbed. Nice.
Dr. Benway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 05:55 PM   #9
bon

lovely work , keep it up .
bon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 06:21 PM   #10
Necron99

You should've left the Indian badges on it. It would really fuck people up.
Paint it red with a huge Indian script on the tank.
Necron99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 06:29 PM   #11
1332bobber

Send a message via Yahoo to 1332bobber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Benway View Post
Homebuilt Featherbed. Nice.
Agreed. Every time I see someone doing this it makes me want to learn to bend tube and TIG weld. I really like the OIF frames, but nothing says awesome like the featherbed frame. Home built to boot. Nice man. Nice!
Old 10-24-2010, 06:31 PM   #12
Nottso

I'm convinced you're a maniac.

That's not a bad thing.

For small, extremely clean, remote oil filters please see my new Jock Shop.
Nottso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:17 AM   #13
boondocker
Banned

I'm glad you're writing this up. That's a really nice build there. I'm rockin' the Indian badges on mine though.

boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:20 PM   #14
thegreasepit

You guys are great. I really appreciate the comments. I did have the original Indian badge, but Mitch begged me for him to keep it... so I taped it to the timing cover of his EVO. I've been waiting two weeks to hear back from the REOC of England to tell me what the hell I own - year and exact model (assuming it's a Trailblazer going off the tiny cams and lower compression motor) but they haven't been shit for help yet.

After getting most of the frame finished, I needed a tank. I've always wanted an aluminum Manx tank, but I was really budgeted on money and time. I had no experience making a tank from scratch and would rather not have this project be my first one, so I searched eBay for a while and scored a 'sprint' Manx tank for $250. Surprising to me, it fit...well, except for the front of the frame that meets the neck. The bottom of the tank needed cut outs and I spent a couple days laying down fiberglass. It took about 3 months to track down every little leak and get those fixed.

Some mock up shots:

I took a sheet of aluminum and welded some strips together to make a tank strap. Keeping with the racer mentality, this tank had to come off quick if needed, so I visited the local Ace hardware and found some brass clasps for a couple bucks.

The opposite end of the strap has a pin which makes the strap completely removable in seconds.

Now on to painting the tank. I spent a week sanding the gel-coat, laying 3 layers of primer, sanding that, and sprayed 4 coats of Rustoleum Professional Aluminum paint, that damn near looks like aluminum.

Here's what it looked like (I'll tell you more about the exhaust later on) before it got fucked up. Yeah, the paint was drying outside on a stand when some dickless piece of shit pulls up to pick up some bike parts I finished. He gets in with his buddy and some ditsy chick and KNOCKS THE TANK OFF THE STAND completely ruining my fresh paint. "OH BRO, SO SORRY. DAMN BRO. SHIT." He gave me about $32 and I told him to piss up a rope. The paint still is fucked but I'll paint it when I have some time.

After that incident passed, I still needed some forks. Once again, I jumped on ebay and found some complete forks off an early-mid 70's Honda XL 350 for $35 bucks. I spent another $15 on fork seals and oil. Not bad condition either!

I had to heavily modify the axle to fit with the hub and fork tubes (took weeks!) and completed the braking with some aluminum brackets.

This bike wouldn't go anywhere unless I had some bars. Once again, eBay to the rescue with a set of clip-ons from Canada for $50 and a twin Amal throttle lever for about $12. Seriously some great deals on there if you know where to look!

And the steering stop after adjusting the bars to fit without hitting the tank.

I found this tach from Westach after contacting several british suppliers that could sell me something to work with my magneto. I was suggested to contact these guys and made this just for my specs. They stopped making this style for mags and didn't have anything higher than 4k. Took two weeks and cost about $150. I made the bracket from 1/4 aluminum plate, a hole saw and messaging with a grinder.

I'll stop here since my lunch break is over and I gotta search my computer for more pictures.

It's good hearing feedback from you guys after getting burned out with this thing for a while.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:55 PM   #15
1332bobber

This bike is coming along nicely. I'm diggin it. Just goes to show you what you can do with a budget and some determination.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:54 PM   #16
thegreasepit

Alright, where was I...

Guess I'll give some information on the exhaust. I bought a pair of pipes for a Triumph from a fellow JJer, but keeping my fingers crossed hoping they would fit just didn't work out. The pipes interfered with the rear sets so I set those aside as decided to make the pipes myself.

I found this picture looking for Tritons and Norton road racing bikes and the high-pipes stuck with me. I knew those were custom, so I tried going a different route...no dice.

I had a set of 1.25" U-bends that were set aside for my H*nd@, but I didn't feel like spending anymore than I had to. This project was priority as the boss decided to pack up and go back to Canada.

Fabricating these pipes were wayyy easier than I thought. The U bends fit nice and snug in the heads and I cut the inside pipe to keep the bend close to the head.

I marked the pipe in relation to a mark on the head with a sharpie so fitting the pipes on and off will get a perfect line up.

Then cut the other end of the U bend to stop just at the end of the head so the pipe doesn't interfere with the velocity stack on the carb.

I stepped the 1.25 pipe to a 1.75" pipe. Mitch called this his "anti-reversion" which keeps back pressure up with high flowing pipes. I told him that he was full of shit and that the lip of the smaller pipe works THAT efficiently.

Don't ask me why I still decided to make the pipes that way...I don't really know.

The thing that is clamped in the vice was made to slip the pipe over and bend the ends in to meet the smaller pipe, with a hammer of course. (Mitch didn't want me giving away 'secrets', but if you are reading this, SUE ME. That's what you get for moving out of California!)

Ok, I used the 1.75 pipe because the mufflers I got with the triumph pipes fits well.... and I kinda believe the anti-reversion shit after some of the wild pipes I've seen the boss-man make.

Laugh all you want, but before I wrapped the pipes, I burned the LIVING FUCK out of my thigh. It also doubles as a heat shield for the heads. Yeah, I don't like the look or the black paint either, but It's a budget build.

Victory is close.

Now, down to paint and final assembly. I'll post that later. I'll be fucked if the boss finds me screwin' on the computer...again.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:33 PM   #17
thegreasepit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1332bobber View Post
Agreed. Every time I see someone doing this it makes me want to learn to bend tube and TIG weld. I really like the OIF frames, but nothing says awesome like the featherbed frame. Home built to boot. Nice man. Nice!

Thanks! I used one of these basic set-ups: JD2 Tube Bender
We had the non-hydraulic version, so the machine used a long bar for leverage. Check YouTube for how-to videos which is what I did before starting the frame. The best advice I can give is "measure twice, bend once."

TIG welding is fun after you get the hang of it. I despise my MIG welder after learning TIG. I will eventually step up to one at home, but those welders are fucking 'spensive. There's also write ups and how-to videos but the best way is screwin' around with scrap metal, then step up to bigger things. It was extremely intimidating before I'd start welding on a show bike since everything had to be perfect and the welds were visible. I'd spend 10 minutes "warming up" on scrap then move over to the big stuff. After 6-8 months I would be able to start welding without warming up, but it was still intimidating.

Last edited by thegreasepit; 10-26-2010 at 02:42 PM. Reason: fixes
Old 10-26-2010, 03:09 PM   #18
thegreasepit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nottso View Post
I'm convinced you're a maniac.

That's not a bad thing.
It's hard to be humble with compliments like this. I thank you, sir.

So, I left off with the exhaust... now I'll move onto the rear-sets.

I started off with a set of Harley passenger pegs that I bought 2 sets of off eBay for 4 or 5 bucks. Spent $15 on peg clevis mounts from Drag Specialties and went to work shaping the pedals and linkage.

I used shock bushings as spacers/bushings and shaped the pedals out of 1 1/4x 1/4 aluminum. The linkage is a modified Sportster forward control linkage. I tossed them in a vice and bent them to fit around the transmission. The shifter pedal is crude but works damn well and super smooth.

I'm bummed that I cannot find any pictures of the process making the rear-sets. Fuck, I KNOW I took tons of pictures.

Guess I can start posting pics of the paint, assembly.

Here's after 3 coats of Rustoleum Professional Primer. I don't use any other paint than the Professional series from Rustoleum as it is nearly bulletproof. Expensive, yes, but it holds up better than any thing.

After the 4th coat of gloss black Professional paint. After the paint was cured, I sanded it down with 1k and 2k grit, then polished with some rubbing compound. After a tally of cost, I spent about $20 for this:

I wont show you detail, but my girlfriend-at-the-time was excited to see this bike come together and wanted to help. She must have zoned out and let my frame slip off the lifts and put some chips on the paint.
Our breakup was not related to this incident, but if I was in any other state, I would be grounds for murder. I did throw quite a fit though. You would too!!!

For those with a strong stomach, click here

More assembly

Engine in. For a brit twin, that damn thing is HEAVY. I nuts dropped 3 feet picking that bastard up.

Good timing... my box of chrome came in after 4 MONTHS. I wanted to keep all the original stuff and I hated to just paint it. Looks good!

The only parts on this bike that I have not touched, modified, painted, polished, and just kept original are the exhaust clamps. They are exactly the same way as I pulled them off the basket case.

More photos and video later.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:21 PM   #19
worn

I might have missed it, but the featherbeds use a head steady from the back of head tube, to the frame, then to the engine to tie it all together. Without it, featherbeds will flex.
Looks good, very nice work, but without diagrams, measurements or a frame to copy to get the geometry right, will it handle like a featherbed?
If I was going to build a featherbed from scratch, I would have built a wideline, but the slimlines are actually more comfortable
worn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:09 PM   #20
thegreasepit

Quote:
Originally Posted by worn View Post
I might have missed it, but the featherbeds use a head steady from the back of head tube, to the frame, then to the engine to tie it all together. Without it, featherbeds will flex.
Looks good, very nice work, but without diagrams, measurements or a frame to copy to get the geometry right, will it handle like a featherbed?
If I was going to build a featherbed from scratch, I would have built a wideline, but the slimlines are actually more comfortable
Mmmm. Do you have any pictures of the head-steady?

Surprisingly this bike is very, very nimble and very steady, but having never ridden on a featherbed, there is nothing to compare it to. I originally planned to have this frame powdercoated, but decided to rattle can it in the event that the frame needs mending or modifying.

Clubman Racing sells them but has no pictures
Google showed no pictures but this one

Keep in mind, I've never seen this part before and the pictures I found to copy my frame from never had it. I had no idea, but thanks for the heads-up anyway.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:58 PM   #21
worn

Here's a pic of a Trident Triton (not mine) showing the headsteady. You can make it out of 1/4" aluminum or steel tubing, doesn't have to be fancy, I've made them out of both. Hope this helps.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:01 PM   #22
worn

Oops, forgot the damn picture....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	headsteady.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	595.2 KB
ID:	55496  
Old 10-26-2010, 06:15 PM   #23
bon

have you run the engine yet ? royal enfields were the only british make to dynamically balance the crankshaft assy ,
Old 10-26-2010, 06:34 PM   #24
thegreasepit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bon View Post
have you run the engine yet ? royal enfields were the only british make to dynamically balance the crankshaft assy ,

Yeah! In the process of slowly breaking the engine in so I can't really tell how much vibration they are supposed to have. Most Enfield twin owners talk a lot about vibrations above 65-75mph, but I'm not sure if it's engine or frame/wheel related.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:36 PM   #25
thegreasepit

Quote:
Originally Posted by worn View Post
Oops, forgot the damn picture....
Sexy fucking bike and thanks for the picture. Gonna look around the garage for some 1/4" aluminum plate...if I have any left over because there is no way in hell I'm making it out of steel!
Old 10-26-2010, 06:44 PM   #26
redasphalt3

Send a message via AIM to redasphalt3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreasepit View Post
Thanks! I used one of these basic set-ups: JD2 Tube Bender
We had the non-hydraulic version, so the machine used a long bar for leverage. Check YouTube for how-to videos which is what I did before starting the frame. The best advice I can give is "measure twice, bend once."

TIG welding is fun after you get the hang of it. I despise my MIG welder after learning TIG. I will eventually step up to one at home, but those welders are fucking 'spensive. There's also write ups and how-to videos but the best way is screwin' around with scrap metal, then step up to bigger things. It was extremely intimidating before I'd start welding on a show bike since everything had to be perfect and the welds were visible. I'd spend 10 minutes "warming up" on scrap then move over to the big stuff. After 6-8 months I would be able to start welding without warming up, but it was still intimidating.

First, how does it feel to kick ass and actually take names after? What ever that means(first thing semi funny that came to mind).. this bike rules..
now. does the tube flatten out a bit in the bends? when you use that bender?
redasphalt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:01 PM   #27
thegreasepit

Quote:
Originally Posted by redasphalt3 View Post
First, how does it feel to kick ass and actually take names after? What ever that means(first thing semi funny that came to mind).. this bike rules..
now. does the tube flatten out a bit in the bends? when you use that bender?
Thanks man!

Flatten out? Not really. The bends are super nice, and not like bender that uses a a shop press.

I found this video that bends a tube 180", the end result is how my tubes looked - smooth. God damn do I wish our bender had the nice degree wheel!

When the bend flattens out with when the tube isn't long enough for the bender and all the pressure from bending ends up on the edge and flattens that. I've gotten tubes stuck in the bender before... not a fun fix, especially when my boss walked by and --->
Old 10-27-2010, 12:35 PM   #28
thegreasepit

More updates on the build...

Found this cool Lucas knock-off headlight which gives 'the look' that the bike needs.

Here's it mounted with some cool aluminum headlight mounts.

I made a kickstand out of some parts laying around the shop. Mitch had the weld-on bracket that he had stashed for the last 6-7 years hoping to use it on his own project one day, but was kind enough to give it to me. What a pal.

More glamour

Still amidst a battle of the leaky transmission. After a good ride the gear oil drips from the seal/spacer between the sprocket and bearing. I've torn the primary down several times and put in new seals/spacer but alas, the bastard still leaks.

To get this thing on the road, this bike still needs some fenders (I get a nice stripe of mud going through water right down my back), taillight, chain guard to keep all the oil from slingin' on the engine and my pant leg, and registration. Not too sure about the last one. This bike, stock, never came with blinkers and I'm hoping the CHP will let that slide going through inspection.

Here's a video of the first time getting it started. The constant popping was from the idle circuit clogged and idle speed not adjusted right

http://www.youtube.com/user/max16v#p/u/3/DzwTSeuHGzY

http://www.youtube.com/user/max16v#p/u/0/JveBqOqlPdk

That took me FOREVER to figure out. Amals have that tiny jet between the air and fuel passages that was clogged that took some modifying of the carb to allow cleaning of said jet from either side. This site helped immensely.

This is the most recent, with a set of baffles added to keep the noise down. Via Facebook FYI. I'll get it uploaded to YouTube sometime tonight.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:25 AM   #29
VanillaGorilla

Let us know what the CHP says about the turn signals....im interested to know if they would let it slide because it didn't come stock on the bike...if they tell you that you must have them i think their was a thread on here about how to whip some up real quick that you could rip off as soon as the inspection was done..
VanillaGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:45 AM   #30
hatchethairy

with a custom frame how are you going to convince them that it is old as it is other than the engine vin? what are you doing for neck numbers? i assume since you worked with Mitch that you know what needs to be done, but curious what that is exactly.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:51 AM   #31
speedfiend

^^^ Thats my bike! though its changed a bit since that pic. I need to post a current pic. The pipes were NOS but I don't know exactly what make. I think maybe Rickman.

Anyway, great looking project. Nice choices Keep Rockin!
speedfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 01:22 PM   #32
thegreasepit

I'll let you guys know about inspection, just keep those fingers crossed.

I have the original frame and was going to stamp that frame number onto my new one and pass that off as the original... unless the CHP inspector knows all about vintage brit iron (I doubt it).

speedfiend: That was one of my inspirations to build my bike. If I was a chick, i'd be ringin' my panties out everytime I look at the picture. Seriously a bad ass lookin' bike!

I need fenders on mine.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:43 PM   #33
hatchethairy

Quote:
I'll let you guys know about inspection, just keep those fingers crossed.

I have the original frame and was going to stamp that frame number onto my new one and pass that off as the original... unless the CHP inspector knows all about vintage brit iron (I doubt it).
you may want to reconsider that. if they find out that you stamped the numbers you will probably lose every bit of work put into it. sounds like you may have to go special construction. i'm sure there are quite a few people on this board with the knowledge needed to get that taken care of properly AND legally.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:04 PM   #34
thegreasepit

Quote:
you may want to reconsider that. if they find out that you stamped the numbers you will probably lose every bit of work put into it. sounds like you may have to go special construction. i'm sure there are quite a few people on this board with the knowledge needed to get that taken care of properly AND legally.

Yeah, all the bikes that my boss built went through as special construction. I hate the idea of doing that to mine.

They probably wouldn't "grandfather" my bike in even if the motor/trans is mid 50's, but I would need a new frame number, blinkers, mirrors...etc, right? If I don't need all the modern accessories, than I wouldn't throw much of a fit over getting a new modern title.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:17 PM   #35
1332bobber

Vid of this beautiful machine on the street please. Love seeing something different, and THIS thing is the tits.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:36 PM   #36
thegreasepit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1332bobber View Post
Vid of this beautiful machine on the street please. Love seeing something different, and THIS thing is the tits.
Thanks! Can't wait to get this fucker legal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ad9yCW2fao

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JveBq...eature=related

Nothing decent of me riding besides these.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:32 PM   #37
danisdead

that is awesome.. Man that looks like a lot of fun, sounds great also.
Old 10-30-2010, 03:26 AM   #38
Dommi7

Just caught up with your project - nice job turning a real piece of shit into something so sweet.
Dommi7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 06:26 PM   #39
Dignan

Nice! Every single piece. Sounds real good, too.
Dignan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:39 PM   #40
strangedaze39

So hows the performance? Incredible build.
strangedaze39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:24 PM   #41
SwedeBobb

Send a message via MSN to SwedeBobb

Great job man! Really nice bike
SwedeBobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:29 AM   #42
Lyngbye

Holy Guacamole Batman! That's a nice bike. Hats off for the work you're putting into this.
Lyngbye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:40 AM   #43
Scorcher
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Scorcher Send a message via Yahoo to Scorcher

Nice build.

-Jason
Scorcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 04:02 PM   #44
steven666

mmmmmmm, lookin good
steven666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:03 PM   #45
godie666

Thumbs up Re: Project: NorField

looks great good workmanship!!
Old 01-31-2011, 10:56 AM   #46
thegreasepit

Well, I appreciate all the good comments on this build, things like that keep me from wanting to sell it.

I took it around the block yesterday after having the bike sitting for a couple months under a blanket. I haven't had anytime to tinker with it since it seems I'm working on everyone else's bikes and not my own. I finally got rid of my CB750, which gives me more room in the garage and some extra cash to throw at this thing for a horn, fenders, and a taillight.

My biggest issue so far is the very leaky gearbox. It will have a steady drip when the bike is just idling. When I take it for a ride, the whole bottom frame and rear wheel get splashed with gear oil. It has all new seals and a new spacer from England. I keep thinking I missed a seal or a felt ring somewhere.

The exploded diagrams from Hitchcocks's are helpful, but I can't figure this thing out. I bought brand new parts# 11 & 28.

If anyone can offer assistance, It'd be appreciated.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:39 PM   #47
belltown

very nice!
belltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:56 PM   #48
thegreasepit

Been tinkering with this thing on and off for a while.
I might have fixed the gearbox leak by replacing the 80/90w gear oil with a couple tubes of 00grease.

Finished the wiring harness and got lights, horn, brake light, switches all working today. All I have left are a rear fender, mounting the taillight and it should be ready to roll.

Some of you asked about how I will get this registered by the CHP and guidelines about what parts I need to have so they will issue me tags.

1. Needs blinkers. I'm going to zip tie them on and run some temporary wires to pass inspection, then rippin' those bastards off. The stock Enfield never had blinkers, just pilot lights on the sides of the headlight that could be rewired for blinkers.

2. Mirror. Just one, that's all you need.

3. Fenders, not sure, but I'm running them anyway. I like the look.

4. Horn. I'll never do without a horn. Too important to give up.

5. Hi/Low headlights. Apparently just a low will not do, plus, I like seeing at night.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:08 PM   #49
Glider

"If anyone can offer assistance, It'd be appreciated."

Contact the folks on Britbike.com They've got an Enfield Board.

Impressive work!
Old 04-17-2011, 10:09 PM   #50
Glider

There's also an Enfield club where they everything there is to know about them.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:07 PM   #51
worn

Excellent work! That bike turned out beautiful, very nice.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:00 AM   #52
Tony the torch

Send a message via Yahoo to Tony the torch

Fantastic build, way to think out of the box.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:08 AM   #53
bon

How do you find the gt750 front brake as a stopper ? I have one on my project and wonder are they as good as the hype.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:40 AM   #54
thegreasepit

Hey, I appreciate the response and comments. Lately I've had a new found interest in my bike, instead of that constant mental nagging about wanting to sell the fucking thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bon View Post
How do you find the gt750 front brake as a stopper ? I have one on my project and wonder are they as good as the hype.
Brake works very well and has great, solid feel. I chose this after reading lots of articles on them with availability, and most important: affordable.
I found the unit off eBay for about $300, then I bought cables/lever, and shoes for an additional $150. The adjusting rods and springs were rusty and had those re-chromed.

After searching google, I found a gent that raced vintage Suzukis, who was kind enough to share his knowledge on setting up, and tuning the 4LS, with many years of racing experience under his belt. I have the email from him, archived and will forward it to anyone who want the info.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:50 AM   #55
Chris300s

Outstanding job! I don't know how I missed this build before.

If you're still looking for Manx pictures I have a few from the National Motorcycle Museum in the UK.

Chris
Old 04-18-2011, 01:56 PM   #56
slntj8

Very impressive!
slntj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 02:06 PM   #57
hogster

Location: find the nicest trailer in the park,I live under it

you earned all the good comments,you are a patient person
Old 04-18-2011, 09:41 PM   #58
bobscogin

Refreshing to see a handcrafted frame that's NOT your ordinary "me too" hardtail frame. Nice work.

Bob
bobscogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:52 PM   #59
thegreasepit

Wanted to give Tony the Torch at Classic Cycles a round of applause for his help and patience with getting my bike inspected, and damn near legal.

FYI, that shop is haunted though. Makes a 1 kick bike into a 10, 11, 15 kick bike.

If anyone needs work done, help with their CHP inspection, or want to waste time by looking at some sweet, sweet machines in their shop, drop by Classic Cycles. Cool guys and was kind enough to offer help and get a massive burden off my shoulders.

All the NorField needs now is tags, license plate, fenders, and the taillight mounted and she'll be ready to ride on the street. Eventually she'll get some fresh paint and some more polish before calling the bike officially done.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:23 PM   #60
thegreasepit

The NorField is finally on the road. Got the tags, license plate, and registration on the 7th, after several trips to the DMV.

The first DMV worker had me fill out a new title form, a written statement on how I acquired the motorcycle, and some other BS form asking for the previous owner to fill out. I kept pointing at the Bill of Sale telling them they are nuts and that THEY track him down.
The second visit, I got a seasoned employee, who didn't even look at any of the paperwork, just Bill of Sale and the DMV slip that Classic Cycles had the CHP fill out. She got my shit together and was out of there in 10 minutes.

Spent Saturday fabbing up some fender mounts and got the taillight mounted and wired up. Called up my insurance and added my bike to my policy on the 11th, and took it out for an early ride yesterday. So far everything is running great, and did some adjustments here and there during my cruise. The only real issue is my leaky gearbox. I replaced the gear oil with 00grease, only to have it squeezed out of every possible orifice after a long ride.

Eventually I'll get a newer Bullet 4sp to replace the shit box on bike now. Also I will be repainting the gas tank, frame, fenders/mounts, and headlight bucket to all match a nice glossy black. Oh, also gotta fix the oil seepage coming from the RE badge on the timing cover.

This project never ends....

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverbikes View Post
"Of the 2000 originally manufactured, only 4700 are known to survive."
Old 06-13-2011, 01:56 PM   #61
shades34

Glad the legal stuff is done, keep tuning and riding, it's sweet.
shades34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 11:13 PM   #62
Tony the torch

Send a message via Yahoo to Tony the torch

Glad you got it on the road,
DMV is so much fun when you get someone that doesn't know what to do. sometimes when they start that shit you just grab all you paperwork and tell them you don't feel well and must leave, then get back in line and get a different clerk.
really wish AAA was still able to initiate DMV titles they were so much easier to deal with.

Last edited by Tony the torch; 06-13-2011 at 11:18 PM.
Tony the torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:56 AM   #63
thegreasepit

Been getting up an hour early before work and cruising around town before it gets hot outside. It's a pretty good feeling getting lots of looks and thumbs-up on a morning cruise.

Tony, here's a joke:

What do Amals get before leaving the factory?

Test tickles.

BAAZING!

Quote:
Old 06-21-2011, 06:02 PM   #64
thegreasepit

Been riding everyday to work hoping to get the engine broken in already, but am getting really tired of wiping down the frame after the gearbox pukes grease all over it, my shoe, the rim, fender, seat, FUCKING EVERYWHERE.
So, I bought a case from an Interceptor this morning and put a parts inquiry to Hitchcock's of England for some neato parts, including a sealed gearbox bearing! I swear that box will be fucking sealed this time around.

Some higher compression (8.5-9.0:1) pistons, smaller rear sprocket, clutch plates, new Amal needle jets, and a rear brake cam were also inquired about. This shit adds up quick, monetarily speaking.

To replace the box, the engine's gotta come out, so I'll pretty much be re-doing damn near everything on the bike that I didn't get to do the first assembly being rushed. The frame will be re-painted (all the scratches from the rear sets and adding on the kickstand) along with the tank, fender/bracket, and get some better looking hardware than the allen head bolts everywhere.
I have a chain guard to go on that still needs a bit of modifying, and will need paint too.

Wish me luck.

Quote:
Old 06-22-2011, 01:46 AM   #65
Iron Alley

great project really enjoyed reading this all, came out great.
Iron Alley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:34 AM   #66
Dog

Quote:
The NorField is finally on the road. Got the tags, license plate, and registration on the 7th, after several trips to the DMV.

The first DMV worker had me fill out a new title form, a written statement on how I acquired the motorcycle, and some other BS form asking for the previous owner to fill out. I kept pointing at the Bill of Sale telling them they are nuts and that THEY track him down.
The second visit, I got a seasoned employee, who didn't even look at any of the paperwork, just Bill of Sale and the DMV slip that Classic Cycles had the CHP fill out. She got my shit together and was out of there in 10 minutes.

Spent Saturday fabbing up some fender mounts and got the taillight mounted and wired up. Called up my insurance and added my bike to my policy on the 11th, and took it out for an early ride yesterday. So far everything is running great, and did some adjustments here and there during my cruise. The only real issue is my leaky gearbox. I replaced the gear oil with 00grease, only to have it squeezed out of every possible orifice after a long ride.

Eventually I'll get a newer Bullet 4sp to replace the shit box on bike now. Also I will be repainting the gas tank, frame, fenders/mounts, and headlight bucket to all match a nice glossy black. Oh, also gotta fix the oil seepage coming from the RE badge on the timing cover.

This project never ends....

Bloody nice bike! If you twisted my arm I'd take it for a ride
Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:31 AM   #67
hatchethairy

Bummer you have to tear it apart after just getting it on the road.

Did you ever make a head steady for it or did it ride fine without?

Old 06-22-2011, 09:38 AM   #68
Loffer

Great build, Nice work!
Loffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:07 AM   #69
thegreasepit

Thank you gents for the kind words.

Quote:
Bummer you have to tear it apart after just getting it on the road.

Did you ever make a head steady for it or did it ride fine without?
Haven't made one yet, but that is on the list when I tear the bike apart again. The bike feels extremely solid without one, but it's good to have one just-in-case.

I'm not too worried about pulling it apart again, as I've taken things off and on so many damn times it doesn't really phase me. While the engine is out, I'll be upgrading the 7.25:1 (possibly less with the thicker composite head gasket) compression to 8.5:1. The rear hub will get a smaller sprocket, so all this work will pay off when it's back on the road again.

Quote:
Old 08-14-2011, 04:00 PM   #70
thegreasepit

Lots of stuff going on lately. l rode around a while with a 46t sprocket on the rear, which really helped out. Been getting really tired of the leaky gearbox and decided to pull the bike apart, and get those new pistons in while I had the chance.

purdy. Any suggestions on modifying pistons before installation? I usually chamfer the holes that feed oil to the gudgeon pins. The old set of pistons, that came with the bike, had holes drilled in the groove for the oil ring.

Finished up 99% of the fabrication that was left over after my old shop packed up and left.

Modified chain guard from a H*onda

Lower fender mount

Had some down time last night...so I pulled the engine. My balls are in a sling right now. For a cute little two cylinder, it's fucking heavy.

Endless source of frustration: leaky gearbox

New problem:

I have a feeling this bike will destroy me, but I love her so.

Quote:
Old 10-08-2011, 04:04 PM   #71
thegreasepit

Brief update:

New hi-compression pistons are in, heavily modified the breather system, did more polishing, swapped the guts from my old gearbox to a newer, Interceptor gearbox and fitted a sealed bearing. Also made some new seat mounts, got 'em welded on and re-painted the frame.

Tank needs repainting, but this bike should kick ass now.

Quote:
Old 10-09-2011, 01:23 AM   #72
dukerollo

The bike looks great. Those Enfield engines are so massive looking compared to other Brit twins, it gives the bike a real presence.
dukerollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:06 AM   #73
thegreasepit

Lots of work's been done since my last post and have put on some good miles taking this to the Born Free 4 and lots of around town cruising.

First off, I made mount for my repop Smiths speedometer out of some 12g steel.

Also made some new mounts for the rear-sets and a place to hang the exhausts from using an old mount I cut off an aftermarket Harley frame:

The upper rear-fender mount I had made broke from the vibration, so I took the original frame loop that came with my Enfield and modified it a bit to work on my new frame. I added gussets that use the shock bolts for support.

I decided to put the original pipes on. Looks better than the high pipes I made, plus they sound mean as a junkyard dog! I relocated the rear-sets just to get the pipes to fit and not interfere with shift/brake arms.

Ran into this problem over the weekend: after flipping the shift arm, the kicker would hit it on the way down.

After welding in a middle section that cleared the shift arm:

Modified the taillight to fit around the fender loop.

I installed a Sparx reg/rec/cap battery eliminator and I ordered a new 12v stator/rotor from an Indian Royal Enfield parts distributor. I got tired of riding home in the dark.

Quote:
Old 08-21-2012, 09:24 PM   #74
shades34

Hey!! That taillight set up looks familiar. I need to get on my Triton hard this fall/winter. I had/have a BSA beating me up all summer. Bike looks great. I like the low pipes and the gauge looks good on there. Hope you get all the bugs sorted. My riding season will end to soon, yours is just begining as far as tolerable weather goes huh.
shades34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 12:45 PM   #75
thegreasepit

Welp it's been a few years since any updates, a lot of life has happened since '12, different projects, and the bike has gone through countless modifications and changes...

now I'm starting over.

Ditching the Norton Manx influence as parts and spares never fit right or were impossible to find, so working with factory Enfield / Indian parts seemed like the best idea. Royal Enfield had very few racing bikes during the 50's & 60's, photos and info is incredibly hard to find, so to keep with the cafe or road race style I've chosen something a bit easier to mimic, the Matchless G45/50.

Intention is to keep a very traditional 50's style found on race bikes of that era using purpose, lightweight pieces, and since this will be a street bike it'll be equipped with some modern amenities like carbs (dual 932 amals, gonna miss the single Mikuni), and solid state batteryless charging system that will be well hidden.

Started with an inexpensive India "cafe" tank that seemed like a good platform to modify, and used G50 seat found on Ebay.

I eventually want to go with an aluminum tank though lack the skill, steel for now. This is how she looks after 4 months of late night and odd hours.

Front hub is a newer India unit, took days of stripping the paint, polishing, and lightening. Laced an aluminum Excel rim and Buchanan's stainless spokes up. Made some headlight mounts using 6061 aluminum and 1-3/8 exhaust clamps on the fork tubes. Keeping with the 50's style chose the blade style Doherty levers.
Lots of small things here and there that didn't make the photos...like the forks. Another ebay score, the legs were chrome, spend weeks stripping, sanding, and polishing. Internals were gunked with who knows what.

Bob Newby belt drive. The exchange rate right now for British goods is quite favorable, this unit delivered was hundreds less than a QPD. Planning on running an open drive with an sheet aluminum cover like the old days. Took a bit of my soul cutting up the inner primary cover (been cracked, welded and repaired so many times so I didn't feel that bad), but I still need the front half to mount the alternator.

Enfields are dry sump with an internal tank though most race bikes had an external, I needed something to hide the electrical components, registration/insurance, probably some tools, spares so I made an "oil tank" from 5052. The hose fittings will be for the crankcase breather and routes straight through and out the back. Still need to make a cover...

Hope to find some decent time between two jobs to get serious work done on this and get her running again.

Quote:
Old 02-14-2017, 08:12 PM   #76
tomsoftail

The clip-ons look good. Do you actually have more control over the bike with that position? It forces you to hunch over the tank and get a freaky real street view, no?
tomsoftail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 05:09 PM   #77
Ratso

I hadn't seen this thread until a day or two ago. Went back and read it all, although the images seem no longer to be available. When did you abandon the Featherbed-style frame and go back to the Enfield one, and why?

Great project and writeup, thanks.
Ratso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:02 PM   #78
thegreasepit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratso View Post
I hadn't seen this thread until a day or two ago. Went back and read it all, although the images seem no longer to be available. When did you abandon the Featherbed-style frame and go back to the Enfield one, and why?

Great project and writeup, thanks.
Not sure what happened to all the photos, must have been shuffled around sometime and broke the links, it's been 4 years.

As with non-factory stuff things would never fit right or took modifications, using the original frame has made this new project far easier. Full restoration had been considered for a while, stocked up on a ton of parts with the expectation, but nothing beats the look and feel of a cafe / GP bike.

Revamped the project about 4 months ago with the goal of entering it into the huge annual car show last weekend but ran out of time, that's about when I ditched the Norton theme.

Quote:
Old 02-16-2017, 09:48 AM   #79
Ratso

It's going to look real fine as a pseudo-G50/7R.
Old 02-20-2017, 02:47 PM   #80
thegreasepit

Spent a bit more time on the bike throughout the week(end) getting a few things crossed off the list.

Swapped the tire from the 'zuki 4LS to the new rim, she finally was standing on two wheels.

Started on the front brake plate vents. The large holes will have a scoop covering them for the inlet, cut out a section for the air outlet and trimmed some 16g perforated sheet to cover. Will be painting the brake plate black to match the rear, and will have a polished aluminum scoop; undecided about the outlet cover.

Bent some 3/4" .095 T6 tube to make a brake lever. Tried to mimic the G50 style. Squished the tube in the press to give it an elliptical shape to prevent any flexing during heavy use, feels pretty dang solid.

Trying to figure out a good cable mount for both ends. I'm open to help and advice!

The Matchless seat fits over a G50 frame and screws directly into it from the sides, the Enfield frames are a bit different and use a tubular subframe to mount both seat and fender. Started on a tubular subframe from aluminum that follows the shape of the seat and bolts to the factory Enfield mounting points. Needs a few more mounting tabs, screw bosses for the sides of the seat and it'll be done.

New triangular upper engine mounts, identical to the Interceptor, will be made along with a new mounting point on the frame. The factory engine mount was repurposed to hold the top of the battery box, also G50 inspired.
1/2" tubing and threaded standoff from the McMaster site works pretty well.

Getting close to finishing all the fab work to the frame, then it'll be off for powder coating.

Quote:
Old 02-20-2017, 03:28 PM   #81
Lester

I have missed this one first time around. I'm thrilled to have found it. I am really in to home shop fab work and what a great thread this is.
Just looking at your brake I was wondering if it is possible to mount the perforated plate on the back side and maybe just have a small trimming on the front side. I'm not sure how the back side looks.
'75 BMW R90 stocker
'72 Triumph Bonneville Nothing special
'70s Jawa speedway DT500
'80 couple og Jap bikes too
Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 03:53 PM   #82
thegreasepit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
I have missed this one first time around. I'm thrilled to have found it. I am really in to home shop fab work and what a great thread this is.
Just looking at your brake I was wondering if it is possible to mount the perforated plate on the back side and maybe just have a small trimming on the front side. I'm not sure how the back side looks.
Thanks for the suggestion. The rear of the brake is a mess of ribbing with no real place to mount the plate, perhaps it can be trimmed down and a "frame" added to give it a finished look like this:

Quote:
Old 03-23-2017, 08:05 PM   #83
thegreasepit

Haven't had much time around work to tinker with the bike but managed to squeeze in an evening and day.

First time doing any kind of upholstery work and didn't realize what a task it is, much respect from those who do this professionally and make it look easy. Wanted white piping with black to mimic Royal Enfield's and other British style seats from the 50's. A yard of vinyl from Joann's, piping from eBay, and foam from an old chair.

After several failed attempts and hours of youtube videos (thanks Sailrite)....

Hope to finish the rear brake cable so the exhaust can be started. Ditching the 1-1/5" factory pipes and will be making up a set of 1-5/8 swept backs.

More updates soon(ish).

Quote:
Old 04-13-2017, 11:19 PM   #84
thegreasepit

Been getting a little bit done here and there around jobs, and had to wait on parts, now time for a quick update.

Finished up the front brake scoop, drilled mounting holes and got it polished up.

Had to put in yet another order to Hitchcocks in the UK, this time for small bits including a new brake lever adjuster. The piece that came with the brake was crossthreaded and ultimately snapped in two when forcing it off. I should have just bought a damn Triumph and had parts readily available in the U.S.
Once the adjuster was in I could position the scoop and have room for movement.
A set of slotted screws gives it a good period look.

The rear brake housing and cover was painted black from the factory, front was polished but thought it would look better painted to match the rear.
After a few coats:

The G50 Matchless seat doubles as a rear fender, with nothing to bolt the Lucas taillight to, and instead of having a odd looking vertical license plate hanging off the side I came across an idea from a converted road bike

Looks a bit funky but it has grown on me, so an Indian made Model G license plate bracket was ordered, after a few weeks it finally shows in its primer and rusted glory. Sanding the rust and smoothing gave it a good foundation for paint. After a few coats...

A quick mockup of how it would look in place:

Purchased a set of reverse cone straight pipes to give it that GP look and sound. Also a quick mock up of the pipes too.

Pipe from the head has a small CLR and wont clear the alternator, instead of putting a few bends, I wanted the traditional swept look and ordered a set of U pipes with nearly double the radius. They should be on my doorstep tomorrow and hopefully there will be some time in the evening to start on them.

Ditching the newer Enfield 4 wire alternator and ordered a slimmer 3 phase Lucas unit, it's over a 1/2" thinner and will give the pipes more room.

That's it for tonight.

Quote:
Old 04-16-2017, 10:24 PM   #85
thegreasepit

Squeezed in a bit more garage time this weekend, main goal was the exhaust pipes...but as usual I got a bit sidetracked with other tasks.

Assembled front brake plate after the paint cured for a bit.

Factory front tire for Enfields are 19", installed is an 18" leaving enough room between the fender to be annoying. Took out 1-1/8" from the fender stays. Much easier on the eyes.

The exhaust was one hell of a chore, only managed to get one side finished before throwing in the towel. Mocked up the new bends with the larger radius which looked cartoonish and out of place, so I went with the original plans and used the 2.5" radius bends.

Stator has just shy of 1/2" spacing from pipe, will be adding an aluminum belt / pulley cover to help shield the heat.

Turned out alright.

Now on to the second pipe.

More updates soon.

Quote:
Old 04-17-2017, 06:02 AM   #86
Goldy

Great to see someone breathe new life back into an old thread. Nice work! Please keep us posted.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:37 PM   #87
Lester

Keep it comming!!!!!
'75 BMW R90 stocker
'70s Jawa speedway DT500
Old 04-20-2017, 11:49 PM   #88
thegreasepit

Thanks guys.

Not a whole lot to update on but there are a few things.

Since factory top engine mount is being used to support the toolbox, I wanted to fit Interceptor style brackets that utilize a tube welded to the frame, these were designed to withstand the higher horsepower engines.
Found the mounts on ebay, purchased a length of 3/4" tubing, drilled it out 7/16" and used trimmed down 1/4" plate for a spacer between tube and frame.

Will do all the final welding once the frame is stripped prior to paint.

Started the right side exhaust pipe, will finish it hopefully this weekend. Smoothed out the welds and finished the left pipe. Looks alright.

Got a few other side projects going on at the moment.
Will be making a new stator mount out of some 1/4" 6061. The inner primary cover was sliced, diced to be used just to hold the stator, but the factory Lucas alternator was far larger in diameter. An adapter was used for the newer 4 wire alt but was far too wide, hence the slimmer 3 phase unit.

Awaiting an odd size hole saw and some specialty hardware before cutting this up, but it's marked and ready.

More updates soonish.

Quote:
Old 04-21-2017, 12:34 AM   #89
Ratso

I'm glad you were able to use the smaller-radius pipe. It looks right. The pipes, etc., look great.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:26 PM   #90
thegreasepit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratso View Post
I'm glad you were able to use the smaller-radius pipe. It looks right. The pipes, etc., look great.
Thanks dude. Turns out it the larger radius tube did come in handy, the bend around the alternator fit perfectly.

It's coming together pretty well, though the more I stare at it the more I think the pipes should have swept back a bit more, or gone up and over the alternator. Royal Enfield had very few racing bikes, most were in the 60's (twins used the 2 into 1"siamese" pipes that came on the late 50's Connies/Meteors) and have no idea how it would have looked back then.

How she looks right now:

Quote:

Last edited by thegreasepit; 04-21-2017 at 05:34 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:10 PM   #91
thegreasepit

Got a bit more tinkering done today...

Exhaust

Continued work on the stator mount, turns out no matter how many times it's measured things still refuse to line up.

Will be ordering some threaded standoffs from McMaster, then tapping one end to 5/16 BSF to work with the factory stator studs.

Having clearance issues with stator wires, they protrude out and interfere with the crank pulley (red arrow). Instead of flipping the stator and having the wiring point towards the exhaust, will there be any issue removing some of the stator epoxy, repositioning the wiring and using some gasket sealer (green spot)?

Ideas?

Quote:
Old 04-24-2017, 04:13 AM   #92
richbob

Yea turn it round the other way Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMO Free1493025206.774744.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	234690

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Rush Rush to the Yayo. Blondie

"Ultimately were all dead men"(Oliver Reed.Gladiator)
richbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 10:55 AM   #93
thegreasepit

Ok, thanks.
You'd think the Lucas logo would face out like on the Sparx in the photo...

Quote:
Old Today, 12:27 AM   #94
thegreasepit

Tonight was spent on the belt cover. I don't do a whole lot of step by step bits but tonight there will be with a bunch of photos.

Box from McMaster showed, in it was some aluminum standoffs, was able to get the stator mounted and spaced properly. Not much work required except for a bit of countersinking some screws. On to the belt cover...

Started with a sheet of .05" 5052 and scribed the areas that will be trimmed out.

Rough cut with the angle grinder, removed the rest of excess like pulling teeth.

A flap wheel that's used for grinding down tubing has been worn down with a deep groove....it just so happens to work perfectly smoothing out the hole and putting on a light chamfer to the edge.

Trimmed the final shape and smoothed the edges. Test fit.

The aluminum sheet had enough material to cut a 2.5" strip.

Just happens a tube bending die fits the radius pretty dang well. Used that for the alt. side.

A few cruddy tack welds to hold its shape.

More shit welds.

Protruded a bit too far, trimmed off 5/16" (after photo was taken), it's a bit more streamlined and fits a bit better around the brake pedal but might take off another 1/4". Will be opening the clutch hole about another inch in diameter, might take out some material from the center like this.

Quote:
Old Today, 12:40 AM   #95
Lester

Great job! I like the idea of taking out the middel bit... you don't have to take out that much but eliminating some of the flat "shapeless" bit will help over all design and it wount look so big either.
What a great build thread! Thanks for sharing keep going at it

Lester
'75 BMW R90 stocker
'70s Jawa speedway DT500