Project: NorField - Page 4 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 06-13-2011, 01:56 PM   #61
shades34

Default Re: Project: NorField

Glad the legal stuff is done, keep tuning and riding, it's sweet.
shades34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2011, 11:13 PM   #62
Tony the torch

Send a message via Yahoo to Tony the torch

Glad you got it on the road,
DMV is so much fun when you get someone that doesn't know what to do. sometimes when they start that shit you just grab all you paperwork and tell them you don't feel well and must leave, then get back in line and get a different clerk.
really wish AAA was still able to initiate DMV titles they were so much easier to deal with.

Last edited by Tony the torch; 06-13-2011 at 11:18 PM.
Tony the torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:56 AM   #63
thegreasepit

Been getting up an hour early before work and cruising around town before it gets hot outside. It's a pretty good feeling getting lots of looks and thumbs-up on a morning cruise.

Tony, here's a joke:

What do Amals get before leaving the factory?

Test tickles.

BAAZING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverbikes View Post
"Of the 2000 originally manufactured, only 4700 are known to survive."
thegreasepit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2011, 06:02 PM   #64
thegreasepit

Been riding everyday to work hoping to get the engine broken in already, but am getting really tired of wiping down the frame after the gearbox pukes grease all over it, my shoe, the rim, fender, seat, FUCKING EVERYWHERE.
So, I bought a case from an Interceptor this morning and put a parts inquiry to Hitchcock's of England for some neato parts, including a sealed gearbox bearing! I swear that box will be fucking sealed this time around.

Some higher compression (8.5-9.0:1) pistons, smaller rear sprocket, clutch plates, new Amal needle jets, and a rear brake cam were also inquired about. This shit adds up quick, monetarily speaking.

To replace the box, the engine's gotta come out, so I'll pretty much be re-doing damn near everything on the bike that I didn't get to do the first assembly being rushed. The frame will be re-painted (all the scratches from the rear sets and adding on the kickstand) along with the tank, fender/bracket, and get some better looking hardware than the allen head bolts everywhere.
I have a chain guard to go on that still needs a bit of modifying, and will need paint too.

Wish me luck.

Quote:
Old 06-22-2011, 01:46 AM   #65
Iron Alley

great project really enjoyed reading this all, came out great.
Iron Alley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:34 AM   #66
Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreasepit View Post
The NorField is finally on the road. Got the tags, license plate, and registration on the 7th, after several trips to the DMV.

The first DMV worker had me fill out a new title form, a written statement on how I acquired the motorcycle, and some other BS form asking for the previous owner to fill out. I kept pointing at the Bill of Sale telling them they are nuts and that THEY track him down.
The second visit, I got a seasoned employee, who didn't even look at any of the paperwork, just Bill of Sale and the DMV slip that Classic Cycles had the CHP fill out. She got my shit together and was out of there in 10 minutes.

Spent Saturday fabbing up some fender mounts and got the taillight mounted and wired up. Called up my insurance and added my bike to my policy on the 11th, and took it out for an early ride yesterday. So far everything is running great, and did some adjustments here and there during my cruise. The only real issue is my leaky gearbox. I replaced the gear oil with 00grease, only to have it squeezed out of every possible orifice after a long ride.

Eventually I'll get a newer Bullet 4sp to replace the shit box on bike now. Also I will be repainting the gas tank, frame, fenders/mounts, and headlight bucket to all match a nice glossy black. Oh, also gotta fix the oil seepage coming from the RE badge on the timing cover.

This project never ends....

Bloody nice bike! If you twisted my arm I'd take it for a ride
Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:31 AM   #67
hatchethairy

Bummer you have to tear it apart after just getting it on the road.

Did you ever make a head steady for it or did it ride fine without?

hatchethairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:38 AM   #68
Loffer

Great build, Nice work!
Loffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 10:07 AM   #69
thegreasepit

Thank you gents for the kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchethairy View Post
Bummer you have to tear it apart after just getting it on the road.

Did you ever make a head steady for it or did it ride fine without?
Haven't made one yet, but that is on the list when I tear the bike apart again. The bike feels extremely solid without one, but it's good to have one just-in-case.

I'm not too worried about pulling it apart again, as I've taken things off and on so many damn times it doesn't really phase me. While the engine is out, I'll be upgrading the 7.25:1 (possibly less with the thicker composite head gasket) compression to 8.5:1. The rear hub will get a smaller sprocket, so all this work will pay off when it's back on the road again.

Quote:
Old 08-14-2011, 04:00 PM   #70
thegreasepit

Lots of stuff going on lately. l rode around a while with a 46t sprocket on the rear, which really helped out. Been getting really tired of the leaky gearbox and decided to pull the bike apart, and get those new pistons in while I had the chance.

purdy. Any suggestions on modifying pistons before installation? I usually chamfer the holes that feed oil to the gudgeon pins. The old set of pistons, that came with the bike, had holes drilled in the groove for the oil ring.

Finished up 99% of the fabrication that was left over after my old shop packed up and left.

Modified chain guard from a H*onda

Lower fender mount

Had some down time last night...so I pulled the engine. My balls are in a sling right now. For a cute little two cylinder, it's fucking heavy.

Endless source of frustration: leaky gearbox

New problem:

I have a feeling this bike will destroy me, but I love her so.

Quote:
Old 10-08-2011, 04:04 PM   #71
thegreasepit

Brief update:

New hi-compression pistons are in, heavily modified the breather system, did more polishing, swapped the guts from my old gearbox to a newer, Interceptor gearbox and fitted a sealed bearing. Also made some new seat mounts, got 'em welded on and re-painted the frame.

Tank needs repainting, but this bike should kick ass now.

Quote:
Old 10-09-2011, 01:23 AM   #72
dukerollo

The bike looks great. Those Enfield engines are so massive looking compared to other Brit twins, it gives the bike a real presence.
dukerollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:06 AM   #73
thegreasepit

Lots of work's been done since my last post and have put on some good miles taking this to the Born Free 4 and lots of around town cruising.

First off, I made mount for my repop Smiths speedometer out of some 12g steel.

Also made some new mounts for the rear-sets and a place to hang the exhausts from using an old mount I cut off an aftermarket Harley frame:

The upper rear-fender mount I had made broke from the vibration, so I took the original frame loop that came with my Enfield and modified it a bit to work on my new frame. I added gussets that use the shock bolts for support.

I decided to put the original pipes on. Looks better than the high pipes I made, plus they sound mean as a junkyard dog! I relocated the rear-sets just to get the pipes to fit and not interfere with shift/brake arms.

Ran into this problem over the weekend: after flipping the shift arm, the kicker would hit it on the way down.

After welding in a middle section that cleared the shift arm:

Modified the taillight to fit around the fender loop.

I installed a Sparx reg/rec/cap battery eliminator and I ordered a new 12v stator/rotor from an Indian Royal Enfield parts distributor. I got tired of riding home in the dark.

Quote:
Old 08-21-2012, 09:24 PM   #74
shades34

Hey!! That taillight set up looks familiar. I need to get on my Triton hard this fall/winter. I had/have a BSA beating me up all summer. Bike looks great. I like the low pipes and the gauge looks good on there. Hope you get all the bugs sorted. My riding season will end to soon, yours is just begining as far as tolerable weather goes huh.
shades34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 12:45 PM   #75
thegreasepit

Welp it's been a few years since any updates, a lot of life has happened since '12, different projects, and the bike has gone through countless modifications and changes...

now I'm starting over.

Ditching the Norton Manx influence as parts and spares never fit right or were impossible to find, so working with factory Enfield / Indian parts seemed like the best idea. Royal Enfield had very few racing bikes during the 50's & 60's, photos and info is incredibly hard to find, so to keep with the cafe or road race style I've chosen something a bit easier to mimic, the Matchless G45/50.

Intention is to keep a very traditional 50's style found on race bikes of that era using purpose, lightweight pieces, and since this will be a street bike it'll be equipped with some modern amenities like carbs (dual 932 amals, gonna miss the single Mikuni), and solid state batteryless charging system that will be well hidden.

Started with an inexpensive India "cafe" tank that seemed like a good platform to modify, and used G50 seat found on Ebay.

I eventually want to go with an aluminum tank though lack the skill, steel for now. This is how she looks after 4 months of late night and odd hours.

Front hub is a newer India unit, took days of stripping the paint, polishing, and lightening. Laced an aluminum Excel rim and Buchanan's stainless spokes up. Made some headlight mounts using 6061 aluminum and 1-3/8 exhaust clamps on the fork tubes. Keeping with the 50's style chose the blade style Doherty levers.
Lots of small things here and there that didn't make the photos...like the forks. Another ebay score, the legs were chrome, spend weeks stripping, sanding, and polishing. Internals were gunked with who knows what.

Bob Newby belt drive. The exchange rate right now for British goods is quite favorable, this unit delivered was hundreds less than a QPD. Planning on running an open drive with an sheet aluminum cover like the old days. Took a bit of my soul cutting up the inner primary cover (been cracked, welded and repaired so many times so I didn't feel that bad), but I still need the front half to mount the alternator.

Enfields are dry sump with an internal tank though most race bikes had an external, I needed something to hide the electrical components, registration/insurance, probably some tools, spares so I made an "oil tank" from 5052. The hose fittings will be for the crankcase breather and routes straight through and out the back. Still need to make a cover...

Hope to find some decent time between two jobs to get serious work done on this and get her running again.

Quote:
Old 02-14-2017, 08:12 PM   #76
tomsoftail

The clip-ons look good. Do you actually have more control over the bike with that position? It forces you to hunch over the tank and get a freaky real street view, no?
tomsoftail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 05:09 PM   #77
Ratso

I hadn't seen this thread until a day or two ago. Went back and read it all, although the images seem no longer to be available. When did you abandon the Featherbed-style frame and go back to the Enfield one, and why?

Great project and writeup, thanks.
Ratso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:02 PM   #78
thegreasepit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratso View Post
I hadn't seen this thread until a day or two ago. Went back and read it all, although the images seem no longer to be available. When did you abandon the Featherbed-style frame and go back to the Enfield one, and why?

Great project and writeup, thanks.
Not sure what happened to all the photos, must have been shuffled around sometime and broke the links, it's been 4 years.

As with non-factory stuff things would never fit right or took modifications, using the original frame has made this new project far easier. Full restoration had been considered for a while, stocked up on a ton of parts with the expectation, but nothing beats the look and feel of a cafe / GP bike.

Revamped the project about 4 months ago with the goal of entering it into the huge annual car show last weekend but ran out of time, that's about when I ditched the Norton theme.

Quote:
Old 02-16-2017, 09:48 AM   #79
Ratso

It's going to look real fine as a pseudo-G50/7R.
Ratso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 02:47 PM   #80
thegreasepit

Spent a bit more time on the bike throughout the week(end) getting a few things crossed off the list.

Swapped the tire from the 'zuki 4LS to the new rim, she finally was standing on two wheels.

Started on the front brake plate vents. The large holes will have a scoop covering them for the inlet, cut out a section for the air outlet and trimmed some 16g perforated sheet to cover. Will be painting the brake plate black to match the rear, and will have a polished aluminum scoop; undecided about the outlet cover.

Bent some 3/4" .095 T6 tube to make a brake lever. Tried to mimic the G50 style. Squished the tube in the press to give it an elliptical shape to prevent any flexing during heavy use, feels pretty dang solid.

Trying to figure out a good cable mount for both ends. I'm open to help and advice!

The Matchless seat fits over a G50 frame and screws directly into it from the sides, the Enfield frames are a bit different and use a tubular subframe to mount both seat and fender. Started on a tubular subframe from aluminum that follows the shape of the seat and bolts to the factory Enfield mounting points. Needs a few more mounting tabs, screw bosses for the sides of the seat and it'll be done.

New triangular upper engine mounts, identical to the Interceptor, will be made along with a new mounting point on the frame. The factory engine mount was repurposed to hold the top of the battery box, also G50 inspired.
1/2" tubing and threaded standoff from the McMaster site works pretty well.

Getting close to finishing all the fab work to the frame, then it'll be off for powder coating.

Quote: