Project: NorField - Page 2 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 10-26-2010, 04:58 PM   #21
worn

Default Re: Project: NorField

Here's a pic of a Trident Triton (not mine) showing the headsteady. You can make it out of 1/4" aluminum or steel tubing, doesn't have to be fancy, I've made them out of both. Hope this helps.
worn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2010, 05:01 PM   #22
worn

Oops, forgot the damn picture....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	headsteady.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	595.2 KB
ID:	55496  
worn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:15 PM   #23
bon

have you run the engine yet ? royal enfields were the only british make to dynamically balance the crankshaft assy ,
bon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-2010, 06:34 PM   #24
thegreasepit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bon View Post
have you run the engine yet ? royal enfields were the only british make to dynamically balance the crankshaft assy ,

Yeah! In the process of slowly breaking the engine in so I can't really tell how much vibration they are supposed to have. Most Enfield twin owners talk a lot about vibrations above 65-75mph, but I'm not sure if it's engine or frame/wheel related.
thegreasepit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:36 PM   #25
thegreasepit

Quote:
Originally Posted by worn View Post
Oops, forgot the damn picture....
Sexy fucking bike and thanks for the picture. Gonna look around the garage for some 1/4" aluminum plate...if I have any left over because there is no way in hell I'm making it out of steel!
Old 10-26-2010, 06:44 PM   #26
redasphalt3

Send a message via AIM to redasphalt3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreasepit View Post
Thanks! I used one of these basic set-ups: JD2 Tube Bender
We had the non-hydraulic version, so the machine used a long bar for leverage. Check YouTube for how-to videos which is what I did before starting the frame. The best advice I can give is "measure twice, bend once."

TIG welding is fun after you get the hang of it. I despise my MIG welder after learning TIG. I will eventually step up to one at home, but those welders are fucking 'spensive. There's also write ups and how-to videos but the best way is screwin' around with scrap metal, then step up to bigger things. It was extremely intimidating before I'd start welding on a show bike since everything had to be perfect and the welds were visible. I'd spend 10 minutes "warming up" on scrap then move over to the big stuff. After 6-8 months I would be able to start welding without warming up, but it was still intimidating.

First, how does it feel to kick ass and actually take names after? What ever that means(first thing semi funny that came to mind).. this bike rules..
now. does the tube flatten out a bit in the bends? when you use that bender?
redasphalt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:01 PM   #27
thegreasepit

Quote:
Originally Posted by redasphalt3 View Post
First, how does it feel to kick ass and actually take names after? What ever that means(first thing semi funny that came to mind).. this bike rules..
now. does the tube flatten out a bit in the bends? when you use that bender?
Thanks man!

Flatten out? Not really. The bends are super nice, and not like bender that uses a a shop press.

I found this video that bends a tube 180", the end result is how my tubes looked - smooth. God damn do I wish our bender had the nice degree wheel!

When the bend flattens out with when the tube isn't long enough for the bender and all the pressure from bending ends up on the edge and flattens that. I've gotten tubes stuck in the bender before... not a fun fix, especially when my boss walked by and --->
Old 10-27-2010, 12:35 PM   #28
thegreasepit

More updates on the build...

Found this cool Lucas knock-off headlight which gives 'the look' that the bike needs.

Here's it mounted with some cool aluminum headlight mounts.

I made a kickstand out of some parts laying around the shop. Mitch had the weld-on bracket that he had stashed for the last 6-7 years hoping to use it on his own project one day, but was kind enough to give it to me. What a pal.

More glamour

Still amidst a battle of the leaky transmission. After a good ride the gear oil drips from the seal/spacer between the sprocket and bearing. I've torn the primary down several times and put in new seals/spacer but alas, the bastard still leaks.

To get this thing on the road, this bike still needs some fenders (I get a nice stripe of mud going through water right down my back), taillight, chain guard to keep all the oil from slingin' on the engine and my pant leg, and registration. Not too sure about the last one. This bike, stock, never came with blinkers and I'm hoping the CHP will let that slide going through inspection.

Here's a video of the first time getting it started. The constant popping was from the idle circuit clogged and idle speed not adjusted right

http://www.youtube.com/user/max16v#p/u/3/DzwTSeuHGzY

http://www.youtube.com/user/max16v#p/u/0/JveBqOqlPdk

That took me FOREVER to figure out. Amals have that tiny jet between the air and fuel passages that was clogged that took some modifying of the carb to allow cleaning of said jet from either side. This site helped immensely.

This is the most recent, with a set of baffles added to keep the noise down. Via Facebook FYI. I'll get it uploaded to YouTube sometime tonight.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:25 AM   #29
VanillaGorilla

Let us know what the CHP says about the turn signals....im interested to know if they would let it slide because it didn't come stock on the bike...if they tell you that you must have them i think their was a thread on here about how to whip some up real quick that you could rip off as soon as the inspection was done..
VanillaGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:45 AM   #30
hatchethairy

with a custom frame how are you going to convince them that it is old as it is other than the engine vin? what are you doing for neck numbers? i assume since you worked with Mitch that you know what needs to be done, but curious what that is exactly.

hatchethairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:51 AM   #31
speedfiend

^^^ Thats my bike! though its changed a bit since that pic. I need to post a current pic. The pipes were NOS but I don't know exactly what make. I think maybe Rickman.

Anyway, great looking project. Nice choices Keep Rockin!
speedfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 01:22 PM   #32
thegreasepit

I'll let you guys know about inspection, just keep those fingers crossed.

I have the original frame and was going to stamp that frame number onto my new one and pass that off as the original... unless the CHP inspector knows all about vintage brit iron (I doubt it).

speedfiend: That was one of my inspirations to build my bike. If I was a chick, i'd be ringin' my panties out everytime I look at the picture. Seriously a bad ass lookin' bike!

I need fenders on mine.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:43 PM   #33
hatchethairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreasepit View Post
I'll let you guys know about inspection, just keep those fingers crossed.

I have the original frame and was going to stamp that frame number onto my new one and pass that off as the original... unless the CHP inspector knows all about vintage brit iron (I doubt it).
you may want to reconsider that. if they find out that you stamped the numbers you will probably lose every bit of work put into it. sounds like you may have to go special construction. i'm sure there are quite a few people on this board with the knowledge needed to get that taken care of properly AND legally.

hatchethairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 03:04 PM   #34
thegreasepit

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchethairy View Post
you may want to reconsider that. if they find out that you stamped the numbers you will probably lose every bit of work put into it. sounds like you may have to go special construction. i'm sure there are quite a few people on this board with the knowledge needed to get that taken care of properly AND legally.

Yeah, all the bikes that my boss built went through as special construction. I hate the idea of doing that to mine.

They probably wouldn't "grandfather" my bike in even if the motor/trans is mid 50's, but I would need a new frame number, blinkers, mirrors...etc, right? If I don't need all the modern accessories, than I wouldn't throw much of a fit over getting a new modern title.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:17 PM   #35
1332bobber

Send a message via Yahoo to 1332bobber

Vid of this beautiful machine on the street please. Love seeing something different, and THIS thing is the tits.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:36 PM   #36
thegreasepit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1332bobber View Post
Vid of this beautiful machine on the street please. Love seeing something different, and THIS thing is the tits.
Thanks! Can't wait to get this fucker legal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ad9yCW2fao

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JveBq...eature=related

Nothing decent of me riding besides these.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:32 PM   #37
danisdead

that is awesome.. Man that looks like a lot of fun, sounds great also.
Old 10-30-2010, 03:26 AM   #38
Dommi7

Just caught up with your project - nice job turning a real piece of shit into something so sweet.
Dommi7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 06:26 PM   #39
Dignan

Nice! Every single piece. Sounds real good, too.
Dignan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 08:39 PM   #40
strangedaze39

So hows the performance? Incredible build.
strangedaze39 is offline   Reply With Quote