'62 Chop, 4th Rebuild in 42 years..... - Page 8 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 02-12-2015, 02:10 PM   #141
JAWS

Default Re: '62 Chop, 4th Rebuild in 42 years.....

Hey!

That looks like color on the bike I have in my lanai!

ROLLING DEATH

"In short, if you have engineering experience and are cautious and sensible they're fun and look great, if you're lazy and stupid, throw them on the bike and go for a ride you'll be dead the same day." -=JL=

Last edited by JAWS; 02-12-2015 at 09:48 PM.
JAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2015, 02:28 PM   #142
Lester

Hetooy Willy,

Your brake set-up blows me away.... s sweet and all for a good old star hub too. CB750 MC.... the all aluminium one looks like its got enought meat on there to make it fit a 1" bar... After seeing your fab capabilities this shouldn't be a problem,
Dones the CB750 MC have a brake lite witch built in like alot of jap MC do???
I hate square brake fluid containers.

Cheers
Lester
'75 BMW R90 stock
'83 BMW R100 commuter
'72 Triumph Bonneville Nothing special
'70s Jawa speedway DT500
'80 couple og Jap bikes too
Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 03:55 PM   #143
little d

Willy,
I wonder if ya couldnt cut off part of the handle bar, slug it and reduce it to 7/8th's?

Old 02-12-2015, 08:15 PM   #144
gasketscraper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
Hetooy Willy,

Your brake set-up blows me away.... s sweet and all for a good old star hub too. CB750 MC.... the all aluminium one looks like its got enought meat on there to make it fit a 1" bar... After seeing your fab capabilities this shouldn't be a problem,
Dones the CB750 MC have a brake lite witch built in like alot of jap MC do???
I hate square brake fluid containers.

Cheers
Lester
I think Lester has the right idea. Just ream it out a total of .125 At a .0625 radius that's not a whole lot. Unless the pinch screws are too close together.
Old 02-13-2015, 12:06 PM   #145
2Loose

been considering both options, think I'm going to get one, and just check out how much metal is there. If the alloy is weldable, I can built up the outside of the clamp with aluminum weld with my tig, and smooth it out, but cutting and welding in a 7/8" slug at the right point might just be a good way to go, done correctly I doubt you'd even see it when the MC is clamped in place.

Reaming the clamp to 1/2", I wouldn't have to take any metal out of the "belly" of each side of the clamp, start there and radius it from zero out to where the two sides of the clamp come together, leafing full metal thickness at the MC and opposite it, and use longer clamping screws.

OK, that's it, I'm gonna order one. Deal with it when it arrives.
Willy

PS, Lester, I don't know, will check that out when it gets here.

Last edited by 2Loose; 02-13-2015 at 12:12 PM.
2Loose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 12:28 PM   #146
2Loose

Here's the posted desc. on that, it's a 5/8" bore, perfect for a single caliper, and does not have the brake lite switch:

Front Brake Master Cylinder Assembly.

Black body with silver lever. We had these manufactured with a piston size of 5/8", this will give your bike improved and more sensitive braking. These do not have a brake light switch similar to the OEM type. They are designed to look similar to the original CB750 master cylinders listed below.

Fits: Honda CB750K (1969-76)
CB750F (1975-76) Supersport,
CB750A (1976) Hondamatic

will also work on all other (1969-78) CB750 bikes but may look slightly different from the original stock type.
Part #: 08-0253

Old 02-13-2015, 01:03 PM   #147
Just Passin' Thru...

looking forward to see pics of the front end back on... dig that color!
Just Passin' Thru... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:23 PM   #148
2Loose

These nice handlebar controls for the Suzuki disk brake I put on the front wheel showed up today.
Found this pair of early Honda cb750 controls, 5/8" piston bore, perfect for a single caliper disk setup....

I like the round style brake fluid reservoir better than the rectangular ones seen around lately,
and this set included the matching clutch lever....

The only problem is that these are for a 7/8" handlebar, I can modify the handlebars to have a short section
of 7/8" plug on each side where these will be mounted, or looking at them it looks like there is
enough meat in the side of the clamp next to the levers to do an offset bore, so that most of the
1/8" of metal removed would be against the side where the levers are.
It doesn't look like it would weaken it at all....
I might not be able to do that on the master cylinder though, it depends on how close an 1/8"
cut might get to the internal fluid channels. Need to check that out. There's a lot of "meat' here
though, maybe just take a 1/16" all around.
I'll fit it to a piece of 7/8" bar first to see how the gap at the screws looks...

Aloha,
Willy
Old 02-20-2015, 02:25 AM   #149
Zeeman

The one in my pic I bored out to 1", no problems at all. It's only 1/16" either side. I shortened the levers too, they welded quite nicely with a TIG set for aluminium.
Zeeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 01:55 PM   #150
2Loose

Somebody once told me my rear brake looked a little newer than a '62, possibly an early shovelhead rear brake.

When I was fitting it to the "new" frame I had Denver's weld up for me many years ago, after pulling it off my '62 homemade hardtail conversion, it needed some work to get it to fit.

Can anyone tell me if this is a '62, or is it possibly a little later??

More Pix Here...

Willy
Old 02-23-2015, 04:01 PM   #151
jbfrmca

that's a 63 to 72 backing plate
jbfrmca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 05:16 PM   #152
old.wrench

Willy,
I don't know if you use this little trick or not, but it might help someone out -

If you end up opening up the holes in the brake and clutch lever assemblies to fit your 1" bars, it helps to put some spacers (washers with a small O.D. work good) between the two halves of the clamp before you snug them up prior to milling or drilling. It will hold the concentric spacing correctly and help ensure that you don't remove anymore metal than you need to. If you can find a right sized uni-bit it makes for a real clean looking hole. I've done it this way a few times so I could use 7/8" hand controls or risers with 1" bars.
That set of hand controls that you've got (the H*nda ones ) look pretty good!

Geo.

"hony swacky mally asbestos"

old.wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 06:50 PM   #153
JAWS

I'll trade ya. Yours was on my bike. Mine is newish and is 58-62, made for starhub. Is your rear wheel a starhub like the front? If not then you will have to keep what you have.....and get the stuff for 67-72 Mid star hub

Go take mine apart and take what you want. I'm not in a hurry to get mine back together and I can get more parts later. What's mine is yours.

ROLLING DEATH

"In short, if you have engineering experience and are cautious and sensible they're fun and look great, if you're lazy and stupid, throw them on the bike and go for a ride you'll be dead the same day." -=JL=

Last edited by JAWS; 02-23-2015 at 07:38 PM.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:00 PM   #154
2Loose

Quote:
Originally Posted by old.wrench View Post
...... it helps to put some spacers (washers with a small O.D. work good) between the two halves of the clamp before you snug them up prior to milling or drilling. It will hold the concentric spacing correctly.....
Thanks George, that's a great idea. Thinking further on that same idea, what if I spaced it even more so it was 1" front to back, and 7/8" wide at the clamp lines, and only took out the additional 1/8" at the clamp lines, leaving a little extra meat in the clamp?
Or would it look odd?
Hmmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAWS View Post
I'll trade ya. Yours was on my bike. Mine is newish and is 58-62, made for starhub. Is your rear wheel a starhub like the front? If not then you will have to keep what you have.....and get the stuff for 67-72 Mid star hub

Go take mine apart and take what you want. I'm not in a hurry to get mine back together and I can get more parts later. What's mine is yours.
Yeah, it's the original '62 star hub back there, I had to modify the left side axle plate on the Denver's frame to take that backing plate, will check the '62 you have and see if it will work with my mods to the frame. I also drilled and tapped the rear boss on the wheel cylinder and plugged the front inlet hole as it was hitting the frame, you can see it here and compare to the pix above:

I had to elongate that brake anchor bolt hole so the bolt could move up and down slightly as the brake and wheel moved forward and back to adjust for the chain wear.

Also the front top of the backing plate, that ridge on it, was hitting the frame, so had to add some "clearance" to the frame....

Gotta run,
Willy

Last edited by 2Loose; 02-24-2015 at 01:14 PM.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:06 PM   #155
Elffors

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Loose View Post
Or would it look odd?
Hmmmm...
Yup!
You got talent and retirement.
Take the time to do it right, just like old wrench said it.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:03 PM   #156
JAWS

I know what you did. You opted for the wider brakes from 63-66 so you could keep your 62 starhub. After all, the stock front drum was not worth a shit for stopping. And you like to over engineer. Plus you were a dealer for aftermarket stuffs.

ROLLING DEATH

Old 02-24-2015, 02:28 PM   #157
old.wrench

Willy,
On boring out the handlebar holes in the controls - sure, you can space them a bit further apart if you want to. When you do that, it will really help if you can use a uni-bit in a drill press. The uni-bit will start it's self concentrically and cut true even though the hole that you are attempting to "open up" might be elliptical or not round, and it won't grab like a twist drill bit will. A nice vertical mill set up with a 1" cutter would be ideal for the operation, but most of us aren't fortunate enough to own one .

Geo.

"hony swacky mally asbestos"

old.wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 12:22 AM   #158
2Loose

Found some time to work on this bike a little, have a different clutch control I like better than the first one I had, and it's for a 1" bar:

It's got an electrical switch built in, not sure what that's supposed to be for....

Got a 1" unibit, so I still need to bore out the Honda master cylinder bar mount, but there's a lot of "meat" there, it will be no problem....

Am also thinking of changing out the handle on the Honda master cylinder using this one, if I can get it to fit....

Not a very good pic, but this pressure actuated switch fits into the hydraulic fitting on the master cylinder to activate the brake light...

Meanwhile I still have not gotten the frame ready to paint. Weather's been horrible here, high winds and lots of rain, and my paint booth needs good weather, as it is partially open to the weather....

Aloha,
Willy

More Pix Here

Last edited by 2Loose; 03-12-2015 at 12:40 PM.
Old 03-12-2015, 12:41 PM   #159
2Loose

Anybody know what that switch is for on the clutch control in the second pix from the top, above ??

As I'm gonna paint that part of the lever setup black anyway, maybe I can just cut that off, weld it up, grind it smooth, then paint it....
Willy
Old 03-12-2015, 01:39 PM   #160
Elffors

I don't know, but theres some safety features that my jap bike had.
The engine died if you tried to take off with the stand folded out.
I belive that you could have it running in gear with stand out if the clutch was pulled but it died when you let the clutch out.