'62 Chop, 4th Rebuild in 42 years..... - Page 2 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 07-06-2010, 05:30 PM   #21
2Loose

Default Re: '62 Chop, 4th Rebuild in 42 years.....

My wife sez I have too many projects! Probably that's 'cause she never sees me unless she comes out to the shop. I tried to put her to work on one of my projects, but she'd rather cook and poke around in the garden, that's fine by me!

I started pulling parts off of the "old" bike, decided to just do a few at a time and get them mounted properly on the "new" frame. Now that I have that rear wheel and brake setup the way I want, time for the rear fender and sissy bar. Like I said, I am keeping this one "old style", using the parts I started with 40+ years ago and just "upgrading" the frame.

I also pulled my old "narrowed" 18 over wide glide and 21 incher off the front of the old bike and put them on the new frame. An interesting fact I just noticed is that my old glide and the old springer are exactly the same length from the bottom of the frame neck to the axle! What are the chances of that happening? Guess it was meant to be! I can run either front end once I get the rest of it setup the way I want!

Here's my old bike after those parts were pulled off:

Here's what the new setup looks like with those parts on. The fender and sissy bar are just "propped" up on there, I need to make some brackets for this setup:

Link to more pix on "page two"
2Loose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2010, 10:27 AM   #22
Tattoo
Banned

That frame and springer front end looks just like my first bike back in 1975. Very cool. Tattoo
Tattoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:39 PM   #23
2Loose

My buddy, the guy I got the springer from, just got back from his travels, so I should be able to pickup the rest of the parts to mount that springer on this frame. The top pieces (triple clamp?) are missing, but he knows where they are....

I need to pull the oil tank off the old bike and use it as well when fitting the fender on the new frame, as the back end of the oil tank hangs on the fender....
Aloha,
Willy

Old 07-07-2010, 12:56 PM   #24
thegreasepit

I'm excited to see what the finished product looks like on the new frame!
Personally, I dig the extended fork tube look... don't change it!
thegreasepit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:57 PM   #25
2Loose

I had originally set the front end up with the original '62 triple trees, just added the18 over tubes, and was running the old original drum front brake, which was nearly useless, a "hill holder" was about it!

Ran across these narrowed trees, which came with a narrowed axle to match, and really liked the result! I'm getting too old to run without a front brake though, so I think I can fit in a disk and caliper up there, measured it and there enough room, I'd have to do some custom fitting though to make it work. Keeping the old style star wheel hubs too.

I also wanted this frame to be slightly "up" in front, as I want to run the front exhaust pipe down under the frame rather than through it, a way better setup!

Gotta go setup the throttle linkage, clutch linkage and fuel system for my 55 chevy gasser project, so will be away from the bike for awhile....
(well, I might sneak over and work on it a little here and there....)

Aloha,
Willy
Old 07-14-2010, 02:27 PM   #26
2Loose

Got some more work done on this.
Got all the brackets welded in for the rear fender and it's all mounted good and solid now. Put the trans and oil tank in place, that's all done, set the seat on and now need to fab up the mounts for the seat. A buddy back in the 60's with an old Indian Scout had the original steel seat pan, and we made a fiberglass mold off of it. I made this seat from that mold and ran it on my original bike for over twenty years (see top pix page two). It fits my butt perfectly, did over 6,000 miles on that seat the June/July of 1975 along the West Coast, across Canada, down the Great Lakes, visited the HD factory in Milwaukee, then had to hit Nashville, then back across the midwest to Calif. to ship the bike back home to Maui. That was a great trip! Went solo all the way, but kept running into really great folks everywhere, so we'd ride, camp, party awhile, then go our own ways. Probably the best trip I've ever been on!
Bike is looking like this now:

Link to new pix, Page Three
Aloha All,
Willy
Old 07-19-2010, 04:15 PM   #27
2Loose

Got the seat mounts welded in place, got the correct spacers machined for the oil tank and it is bolted in place correctly, got a new steel Sporty tank and moved the filler to match my old bike tank (it is fiberglass and is in poor shape, needed to replace it....)
now I need to mount the tank. Getting close to moving the motor over.

Will be gone on a trip for awhile, family stuff, will move the motor over when I get back....
Aloha,
Willy
Old 07-19-2010, 09:43 PM   #28
flatman

I like the indian verrtical seat on there, looks good.
flatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:04 PM   #29
Ken Cormier

cool I like it
Ken Cormier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:26 AM   #30
2Loose

That seat is totally adjustable, holes in the support for forward and back, and that link to the pivot is adjustable (bend it!) to put the front in the best position, too high and it hits the pelvis with numbing effects I don't like !!, too low and I slide forward too much when i brake hard...
When I did my long tour in '75 I adjusted that seat many times before I got it right, I see that happening again here....
Aloha,
Willy
Old 07-20-2010, 07:43 AM   #31
mr haney
Banned

Very cool ! Funnny how I am building an old knuck on a denver frame, got a 55 gasser going together same time too !! MY wife also puts in garden, cooks, and I got three young boys ages 1-18 .....stay focused man !!!!!! I know it's tough sometimes !! LOL
mr haney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 05:22 PM   #32
2Loose

I think there's more of us around than most people realize. I know of at least three guys just here on this little island involved in old bikes and gasser style cars, but trying to get them involved in the internet is like pulling teeth! They won't even let me put up pix of their projects on the 'net....

I came close to buying a local knuck couple of years ago, but it ended up going to Alaska for far more money than I was willing to pay. Too bad, I love the old knucks, but ended up with pans most of my life, also very cool bikes...

Have you posted any pix of your projects anywhere?
W.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:00 PM   #33
mr haney
Banned

Talking Re: '62 Chop, 4th Rebuild in 42 years.....

got some pics over next door.....my handle is the same mr haney

going to the drag strip sat for rock and race ! historical dragway 42

wish my 55 was ready.............takin an evo out there to beat up on !
thats all they really good for
mr haney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:15 PM   #34
2Loose

Just got back from the mainland. Visiting family.
My rebuilt '62 FL lower legs were here (new bushings), and a pair of new 16" over tubes, so started setting up the front forks the way I wanted, which is to duplicate the same way I did it 40 years ago.
I used two sets of springs in each fork, and a lighter oil, to get them to ride nicely in the extended and raked configuration.
Link to story and pix on my front fork setup
Aloha,
Willy
Old 08-07-2010, 01:54 PM   #35
2Loose

A buddy of mine was telling me I should run this two-spring setup in my forks with a flat washer between the two springs in each fork. He says the two springs twist as they compress and expand, and that they can bind against each other. I can sort of see that, but I ran this setup for 20 years and they did not look bad at all when I took them out of the old tubes. There are shiny areas along the outside of all four springs where I can see that they were rubbing on the inside of the fork tubes, but i didn't see any evidence of wear between the two springs where they were touching each other. My buddy runs an old school chopper shop, and says that certain suppliers of extended forks always supply those washers to put between the springs. I can certainly do that, I don't see where it would hurt anything to do that, I just didn't see any evidence of that happening in my particular setup.

The new fork legs I got from Frank's, came with a spacer to run with the stock springs, with a washer to put on top of the springs, between the springs and the spacer. Guess I could put that washer in my setup between the springs.

Any comments from you guys on this?
Aloha,
Willy
Old 08-08-2010, 01:57 AM   #36
danisdead

Hey Willy,
Glad you had a good trip. I got nothing for you on the washer issue, Ive never had to deal with that. It can't hurt though, better safe than sorry.
-Dan
Old 08-09-2010, 02:22 AM   #37
2Loose

Only thing is, I've learned a long time ago that any old bike is a "flyin' formation of lock-tite" (of course this was only after lock tight came out, before that we tightened bolts at every stop!)

Try a '63 BSA twin carb Lightning, my second bike in this world, ran great, as long as I kept it tight and tuned!
In 1967 here on Maui, in the middle of this quiet little island, a couple of us guys (I was 25) used to do the run from Kahului over the cliff road (the Pali) to Lahaina and back, running hard and fast.
Glad I survived that....

These days (daze?), Harleys are better for us old Dudes, go slow, don't get in trouble any more, ride in comfort, but remember the past !!!
Old 08-09-2010, 02:17 PM   #38
weishaarkc

very cool
weishaarkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:19 PM   #39
dirtyhippy

bitchin thread man.
dirtyhippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:03 AM   #40
2Loose

Travelin' with family right now, will get back to the bike in another week...
Need to weld in some steel plugs into the top tube, threaded, to mount the tank on.
Then put the motor in and setup the primary drive (an old Primo belt drive), the mousetrap and clutch setup, the kickstand, front footpegs/brakes/shifter, then pull it all apart and paint everything....

Looking for a front disk brake I can run on that harrowed wide glide setup I have with the star hub I have on that 21 incher. Might have to carve me a custom adapter on the lathe to mount a disk on there. Gettin' too old to run a bike without a front brake anymore....
Too many idiots out on the road with the windows rolled up and yakin' on their cell phones, a rolling death squad!

Much Aloha to all.....
Willy