Vintage Fuel Drag Bikes - Page 5 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 05-28-2010, 07:00 AM   #81
frank spittle

Default Re: Vintage Fuel Drag Bikes

You are right. John Dixon not only starting building Fuel Bikes at the age of 15 but riding them too. I know he has viewed this thread but it is hard to get him to post. He was, in my opinion, one of the top ten all time best Fuel Bike builders and riders. He built the frame for "the Freight Train". I REALLY hope he will join us in posting here.
frank spittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2010, 07:46 AM   #82
Joe Smith

You want to see something John Dixon has be working on, here's a link to it...

He could use some new customers...

http://www.classictopfuel.com/

GRANDDADDY JOE SMITH
INDY WORLD CHAMP
1971,74 & 75
http://www.granddaddyjoesmith.com
Copyright 2007-2015. Joe Smith. All rights reserved

Last edited by Joe Smith; 05-28-2010 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Add word
Joe Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:06 AM   #83
glorydays

I need someone to help with an old magnacharger magnuson blower setup on my harley... Anybody have references?
glorydays is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-28-2010, 10:19 AM   #84
kurtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank spittle View Post
You are right. John Dixon not only starting building Fuel Bikes at the age of 15 but riding them too. I know he has viewed this thread but it is hard to get him to post. He was, in my opinion, one of the top ten all time best Fuel Bike builders and riders. He built the frame for "the Freight Train". I REALLY hope he will join us in posting here.
I really couldn't think of any other teenager who straddled a fuel bike.

I didn't know Mr. Dixon built your frame. Hopefully he can join us and share his knowledge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Smith View Post
You want to see something John Dixon has be working on, here's a link to it...

He could use some new customers...

http://www.classictopfuel.com/

Joe, thanks for the link. I hadn't seen that before.

His first bike give's me the shiver's just looking at it.

BTW, how's the paltry prize money on offer back in the day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1970 irwindale.jpg
Views:	567
Size:	251.5 KB
ID:	50222  
kurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:24 AM   #85
kurtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by glorydays View Post
I need someone to help with an old magnacharger magnuson blower setup on my harley... Anybody have references?
You need to be a little more specific. How old is old and will it be shaft or belt driven?

Here's their link ... www.magnacharger.us/
kurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 03:17 PM   #86
Joe Smith

Check it out...Santa Pod Raceway..UK

http://www.eurodragster.com/live/webcam/default.htm

GRANDDADDY JOE SMITH
INDY WORLD CHAMP
1971,74 & 75
http://www.granddaddyjoesmith.com
Copyright 2007-2015. Joe Smith. All rights reserved
Joe Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 06:03 PM   #87
glorydays

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtis View Post
You need to be a little more specific. How old is old and will it be shaft or belt driven?

Here's their link ... www.magnacharger.us/
thanks for the reply..
belt driven mp80 with the universal snout and shovelhead adaptor crank pulley... snout has to be machined to be setup... i guess early 80's...
glorydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 07:57 PM   #88
frank spittle

These are 40 year old memories so please excuse me if I have some facts wrong but I am telling it as I remember it. It is the spring of 1970 and my friend Danny Johnson has become one of the Fuel Bike stars. Roy Strawn, the founder of the American Motorcycle Drag Racing Association has been promoting an all motorcycle drag race at the Atco New Jersey drag strip and it was close to Johnson's Maryland home. It was one of a few all motorcycle drag races. Strawn had also put together an all Fuel Bike touring circuit and they were coming to Charlotte. It was in early June of 1970 and it was an eight bike show including Larry Welch on Sonny Routt's twin engine Triumph, Danny Johnson, Dick Prime, Al Charlier, John Dixon (I think) and three others I can't remember. Danny was the only one I knew very well and I was very happy to see him again. He introduced me to most of the others and told them how great I was (I'm lying) but I am sure they greeted me out of courtesy to Johnson. It was the first time I had seen most of them because I had only raced locally in '69. I was really appreciative that Roy Strawn had done what he had done for bike racers, especially Fuel Bike racers. The finals came down to Welch and Johnson. I was in the staging lanes with Johnson just before they ran. Johnson told Welch he was going to save his equipment for the big race coming up and he would red light. I was really surprised to hear him say that. I was REALLY disappointed because Johnson had been the quickest bike there. It was pitch dark by then with only minimal lights. When the tree counted down Johnson red lighted and Welch proceeded to put down the most beautiful pass I ever saw him make. He had engineer boots with metal heels. When he popped the clutch he went into billowing tire smoke that covered him and he dragged his boots all the way to the clocks with sparks flying from the metal heels. It was one of those still nights and it took a full minute for the smoke to clear. It impressed the hell out of me and still is etched in my memory 40 years later. I went over to Danny's pit pissed off and wanting to know why he did it. "There is a new Motorcycle Record Meet next week in Bowling Green Kentucky and I was just testing here. I want the record so I was saving my stuff. It was the first I had heard of Bowling Green.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:28 PM   #89
frank spittle

Yeah Joe it did. He could probably have beat Welch.

I did not go to Bowling Green that year but did not miss another one until they ended in 1978. I don't remember Danny coming home with the record in A/F (Joe, do you remember who did? Boris won it so it probably was him) but one of Danny's team members did. Ray Price set a record in one of the Street Classes with his 55 cubic inch Harley. By the following year Price would be inventing the Funny Bike Class.

Last edited by frank spittle; 06-02-2010 at 04:53 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:30 PM   #90
VAsteven

Quote:
Originally Posted by glorydays View Post

Danny Grinde knows a thing or two about blowers on Harleys. Give his shop a call...540-885-1194
VAsteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:56 PM   #91
Larry T

Ray Price a few years ago.
Larry T
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	priceof0.jpg
Views:	574
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	50225  

My old Panhead build: http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=9455

Occasionally updated Knucklehead project: http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/a...p?albumid=3625
Larry T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 03:26 AM   #92
Keith Lee

Just came across this great thread via a link from Granddaddy Joe, and have really enjoyed reading though it. It is always nice to see different pictures of racers you remember from way back, and get to hear some more of their background. Especially enjoyed Frank's memories of his early encounters with Danny Johnson.

I met Danny a few times in the mid 70s, and I still have a small lump of one of his crankcases in my garage after he grenaded a motor at Santa Pod. He put on a good show on his visits, and made a lot of friends over here.

I will try and post a few pictures of him once I have mastered the system.
Look forward to reading more in this thread.

Regards,
Keith Lee
Keith Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 03:39 AM   #93
Keith Lee

It was easier to post pictures than I thought, so have posted this one of Danny on Goliath, which was twice the engine capacity of any bike running in Britain at that time.

Name:	KL_Johnson_burnout_2.jpg
Views:	681
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	50234
Keith Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 01:11 PM   #94
frank spittle

That is a beautiful picture of Danny and Goliath II. I own that bike today. I will get into a story about Goliath I later. As I said in the opening post I will recall good memories and not so good memories. This is one of the later and one that most of you do not know about Danny. As I have said before he lived in Maryland when I met him at Daytona in '67. He lived there in '68 when I traded my street bike for the dragster. By then he had made friends with another North Carolinian from Yadkinville. His name is Wilbur Beaty. His family owned a major tire store there. I believe Danny and Wilbur met at the '67 Fall Rally in Asheville North Carolina I mentioned in an earlier post. That is where Johnson used 15% nitro. Anyway, Wilbur became a customer of Dannys and would later become one of his best friends and a business partner. Wilbur Beaty is the guy who owned the dragster I traded my street bike for. I went to his place in Yadkinville and picked it up before traveling to Maryland where Danny met me for my first runs on it. The time line gets fuzzy here for me but I believe it was in late '70 when I called Danny to see how things were going and his wife answered the phone as usual. We talked a minute or so as usual and then I asked if Danny was home. There was silence on the other end. I thought she didn't hear me and asked again. Finally she said "you haven't heard?". I went silent thinking there had been an accident. She started in detail how he had been caught with a concealed weapon and it was an automatic prison sentence where it happened and he was about halfway through his 90 days time. It was then she told me they would be moving to Yadkinville when he got out. It wasn't illegal to carry a gun for protection in North Carolina. Wilbur had done most of the arranging.

When Danny got out he and Wilbur became partners at Farmington Dragway near their homes and created the track's first motorcycle races. I never talked to Danny about his unjust felony sentence. His partnership at the track only lasted a few years but he spent the rest of his life there in the home he moved into. I would spend alot of time there in the years to come.

Wilbur was at Danny's funeral a few years ago. It was the first time I had seen him in years.

Last edited by frank spittle; 05-29-2010 at 02:31 PM.
Old 05-29-2010, 01:46 PM   #95
Tortolabob

I had posted these under "Met a personal Hero this weekend" thread, but they clearly belong here..Super Stock reunion. Piedmont Dragstrip May 2010. I don't know how to make them smaller though..

(
(
(
(
(
(
(
(
(
(
(
(
Tortolabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 02:04 PM   #96
frank spittle

Those are some great pictures of Pete and Jackie Hill and Ray Price's original Funny Bike and it's start-up a few weeks ago. Thanks.
Old 05-29-2010, 02:15 PM   #97
Tortolabob

I spoke with Pete and Jackie for over 2 hrs at the dragstrip, I was hoping several more drag bikes had showed up..I was in Sturgis the yr he did the burn out on main street on the Knucklehead! No helmet either. He emptied every bar in Sturgis in 3 seconds! Loudest bike I have ever heard!
Old 05-29-2010, 03:04 PM   #98
frank spittle

Pete and I remininced at the Reunion about that downtown burnout, one of the most famous photos ever taken. I was not there so this was a first hand account about how it took place. Pete and Jackie were there for the drag races and had parked the bike outside a bar downtown to promote the race. He always went the extra mile to help the promoters. He had agreed to start the bike to gather a crowd for the bar. Before the startup the bar owner asked Pete if he would do a burnout on the street in front of the bar. Pete said "sure, if you bail me out of jail" just kidding of course. Much to Pete's surprise the owner agreed to do that. Pete Hill does not go back on his word so Jackie got her camera out and snapped the historic photo. After doing the burnout Pete said he coasted into a side street and had the bike hid before the law came.
Old 05-29-2010, 07:54 PM   #99
Tortolabob

post the photo for everyone to enjoy Frank.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:44 PM   #100
frank spittle

It will take me several days to do that because I will have to find it plus I have to get a friend to help me post pictures. If no one else does I will.