Vintage Fuel Drag Bikes - Page 15 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 08-22-2010, 07:34 PM   #281
frank spittle

Default Re: Vintage Fuel Drag Bikes

To everyone,

In keeping with the VINTAGE title of this thread I feel it is necessary to limit the lists of British multi-engine Fuel Bikes to ones powered by British motorcycle manufacturers....Triumph, Norton, BSA, Matchless etc and raced at least 25 years ago. This year that is 1985 and back to the '50s when nitro was first used in motorcycle drag racing. Each year it will move up a year. With that in mind I will update the list as new information is confirmed. This is in no way excluding the aftermarket engine powered Fuel Bikes. With your help I will compile a separate list for them after British, Harley and I-4 lists are completed. There were dozens of Harleys built but the I-4 multi-engine Fuel Bike list will be short. Collins, Ahlfeldt and Davis are all that come to mind.

Ridinghood, I can't believe I did not think about Alan Mavor's bike. I guess since it did not have two engines threw me off. Did you know T.C. was also working on a triple engine Norton when more than two engines were banned? I should ask him if that played a part in him retiring.
frank spittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2010, 08:14 PM   #282
cabana dan

I have a double from the Twin Cities run by a guy named John Becker... Still collecting parts for it's restoration..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PB050001.JPG
Views:	783
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	52739  
cabana dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:02 AM   #283
frank spittle

Before I start the list of multi-engine Harleys I am going to list the names of the ones I remember in about the order they were built:

Danny Johnson---Goliath One and Two
Jim Preisler
Dave Campos
Joe Smith
Al Charlier
Carl Ahlfeldt
Marion Owens---At least three bikes
Dick Prime
Joe Thronson
Danny Cooper
Dave Caldwell
Warren Plating
Elmer Trett---At least two bikes
Bonnie Truett
Mike/Jack Romine
Steve Ruggiero
John Mancuso
Tater Gilmore---At least two bikes

There are other bikes I remember but can not pull up the owner/riders names from my memory and some of their bikes changed owners and are remembered that way. I would like to document the bikes built with the original owners/builders and who they were sold to. I am sure some of you can add to this list. Roland Stuart had a Gas double but I can't remember if he switched it to nitro before he built the "Sayonara" T/F Bike.

Last edited by frank spittle; 08-27-2010 at 07:52 AM.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:27 PM   #284
Joe Smith

Did Dave Campos build a Double...???

GRANDDADDY JOE SMITH
INDY WORLD CHAMP
1971,74 & 75
http://www.granddaddyjoesmith.com
Copyright 2007-2015. Joe Smith. All rights reserved
Joe Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 05:07 PM   #285
frank spittle

Yes Joe, he told me he was trying to get it back together to bring to Bowling Green with the Single and the Bonneville Streamliner back in '06. I don't know how much he raced it before he quit drag racing.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:43 PM   #286
frank spittle

I have come up with several more Harley multi-engine Fuel Bikes and have added to the list. Danny Cooper was the last Bowling Green winner on a multi-engine Fuel Bike. The year was 1977. Some time later Cooper was testing his new fuel injection system on his Harley and the throttle stuck wide open. He is the only double Harley rider I know of who lost his life on one.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:23 PM   #287
frank spittle

When we had Pete and Jackie Hill as honorees at the drag racer reunion back in May I found out that Jackie was scheduled for hip replacement surgery in July and Pete for knee replacement in August. I am pleased to report that Jackie is recouperating nicely. I talked with Pete yesterday and he had DOUBLE knee replacement (really gruesome) two weeks ago and is going through theraphy but doing good. He should be home next week. He missed his annual ride to Bonneville this year but hopes to go back in '11. I hope I can get out there next year too. These are two of the nicest motorcyclist in the world.
Old 08-28-2010, 01:45 AM   #288
RidingHood

Hi Frank,
TC had (on loan?) the triple engine Norton that Mavor built . Sure would be interesting to know what happened to it (a video clip of it running would be awesome).
Cheers R
RidingHood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 03:24 AM   #289
chucky

I'll see If my buddy will let me take some shots of his twin engined Nitro Triumph. It came from the US recently (to Australia) It's a "side by side" supercharged twin engine setup. It is an absolute work of art!

There is a sad story in that Donny finally got in touch with the guy who built it, I think his name was Arno....I can't quite remember and he spoke to his wife; she said "Oh he'll be so excited to know his old machine is being used it'll make his day". The next day he died before the two could talk.....sad
chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 08:32 PM   #290
frank spittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingHood View Post
Hi Frank,
TC had (on loan?) the triple engine Norton that Mavor built . Sure would be interesting to know what happened to it (a video clip of it running would be awesome).
Cheers R
RidingHood,

I have not asked TC if he bought it but do know he would not agree to sell "The Hog Slayer" until he had a contract to purchase the triple so I personally believe he now owns it. To the best of my knowledge TC has not had it running since acquiring it.

Last edited by frank spittle; 08-28-2010 at 08:57 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:59 PM   #291
Joe Smith

This is my old Friend Sonny Razlaski (RIP) better know as "The World's Quickest and Fastest Pollack"...This is back in "The Day" at Irwindale Raceway...Left to right is the Manager of Irwindale Mel Reck, Sonny and Gordon Kateley...

He getting a congrat from Mel for Winning AA/Fuel Bike on this Saturday Night...

GRANDDADDY JOE SMITH
INDY WORLD CHAMP
1971,74 & 75
Old 08-30-2010, 05:58 PM   #292
ironwigwam

Yes, Arno St James
ironwigwam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:46 PM   #293
Yags

Granddaddy Joe,

I see a few "strange" hoses on Sonny's bike. Injection?

That bike to the left, behind Mel, looks to be yours?

Mike
Yags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:03 PM   #294
thecarfarmer

I'm hoping I don't come out as one of those 'internet tough guys', but I got to call Frank out on this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank spittle View Post
This was my first dragster. Not much, huh. I was 6'1 and only weighed 150 lbs. It had a Triumph Cub front end with NO front brake. It used an Avon 4" slick. The fuel tank is the bullett looking piece where the headlight should be. It had an 83 inch Sportster engine. It only weighed a little over 200 lbs. (snip)
Quote:
Switch to Nitro part two

As stated before about switching to nitro the only change to the motor was the carb. However, I was able to lose a few pounds in the transmission. On gasoline, I started off in second and shifted to third and fourth. Nitro increased the horsepower so much that I was able to take the second and third gears out of the trans and start off in fourth..or direct drive. It was a little tricky getting the slick broke loose. I had to stand on the starting line with hardly no body weight on the bike and rev the engine only slightly. When I got the last yellow (all racers got a full tree back then) I would pop the clutch and sit down at the exact same time. That allowed the slick to break loose and start smoking. That was before slipper clutches. Part three next.
Uh, there's no way you only weighed 150 pounds, unless you had your girlfriend holding up the seventy-five or more pounds of testicles that racing that bike called for!

Only got to page 2, but am going to go thru the rest of the thread; thanks for starting a good one!

-Bill
thecarfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:24 PM   #295
Joe Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yags View Post
Granddaddy Joe,

I see a few "strange" hoses on Sonny's bike. Injection?

That bike to the left, behind Mel, looks to be yours?

Mike
Yea Mike, Sonny was one of the first to play around with a Hilborn Injection set up and yea that's early King Rat setting there...

GRANDDADDY JOE SMITH
INDY WORLD CHAMP
1971,74 & 75
Old 08-31-2010, 10:42 AM   #296
frank spittle

chucky,

I look forward to seeing you post pictures of that side by side double Triumph.

thecarfarmer,

Thanks, I hope you enjoy the other 15 pages.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:49 AM   #297
frank spittle

Here is the short list of 4 cylinder multi-engine Fuel Bikes that I remember. This does not include the gas doubles. The next list will be for aftermarket motored multi-engines:

"The Atchison, Topeka & Sante Fe" Triple Honda. Russ Collins
"The Sorcerer" Double Honda Russ Collins
"Orange Crush" Double Kawasaki Carl Ahlfeldt
Bob Davis Triple Kawasaki
Old 09-01-2010, 07:53 AM   #298
gearheadchoppers

He was one of the brave men to ride "THE FREIGHT TRAIN". A twin harley engine NITRO bike at over 190 mph. Ride free Randy !!!

BELMONT - Randy Kent Milling, 59, died Aug. 30, 2010, at home after a lengthy battle with cancer.

He was a native of Charlotte, son of Melvin Craig and Viola Ferguson Milling of Belmont.

Randy was a member of First Wesleyan Church, a U.S. Army veteran having served in Germany and a member of Gastonia Masonic Lodge #369. He was the former owner of Lowell Marine Service and later employed at New Hope Marine in Gastonia and most recently at Carolina Performance Marine in Charlotte. Not only was Randy an avid hunter, outdoorsman and motorcycle enthusiast, he was a loving husband, father, grandfather, son and brother who will be greatly missed.

In addition to his parents, he is survived by his wife, Linda McCulloch Milling; sons, Kenny Milling of Charlotte, Shane Goble and wife Ashley of Gas-tonia, Jason Goble and wife Trish of Belmont; sister, Kay Nidiffer of Kannapolis; grandchildren, Ryley Goble of Belmont, Morgan Milling of Charlotte; brothers and sister-in-law, John C. McCulloch of Cape Carteret, Sam McCulloch and wife Terri of Gastonia and niece, Stephanie Dettmar of Kannapolis.

Visitation will be held from 7 until 9 pm, Wednesday, September 1, 2010 at McLean Funeral Directors of Gastonia and other times at the home, 130 Willerene Drive, Belmont.

Funeral service will be held 1 p.m. Thursday at First Wesleyan Church, Gastonia, with Pastor Tim Smith officiating.

Interment will follow in Gaston Memorial Park with Masonic Rites by Gastonia Lodge #369.

Condolences may be sent online at www.mcleanfuneral.com.

McLean Funeral Directors of Gastonia is serving the Milling family.

Published in Gaston Gazette on August 31, 2010
gearheadchoppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:26 PM   #299
frank spittle

gearheadchoppers,

Thanks for posting Randy Milling's obit. I just returned from his funeral. He was the last person to ride "The Freight Train" in competition....about 20 years ago. He rode it for T-Bird Yelton, who I sold it to after I retired and who still owns it.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:53 PM   #300
Keith Lee

Quote:
I mentioned in an earlier post we will try to compile a list of all MULTI-engine Fuel Drag Bikes from the past. Let's start with the British manufacturers. I know I can't recall them all so the ones I have missed please add to this list. I will try to record the builder owner(s) rider(s) and the era built.
Frank, I have posted a picture of the quickest British double-engined bike of its era running in the UK, well the important parts of it anyway. Not a view you would normally see. It ran a best of 8.02s in the late 70s. Any guesses as to who it was?

Click image for larger version

Name:	KL_DBL_TRI.jpg
Views:	2259
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	53375
Keith Lee is offline   Reply With Quote