Vintage Fuel Drag Bikes - Page 14 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 08-18-2010, 09:03 AM   #261
Nottso

Default Re: Vintage Fuel Drag Bikes

Frank,
Like I said, I could easily be mistaken. I saw it in print somewhere, but only once. I can't remember if it was on a race promotion flier, in a magazine, or what; although for some reason I want to think it was on a bubblegum card. Whatever it was, it showed the bike and was captioned "Boris Murray's Twin T Triumph." Maybe it was a misprint?

Did you ever know a guy out of Memphis by the name of Glen Kerr (sp?)? He ran a Triumph on nitro, but my memories are very vague. My dad's shop was one of his sponsors.

For small, extremely clean, remote oil filters please see my new Jock Shop.
Nottso is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2010, 12:24 PM   #262
Joe Smith

Quote from Nottso...

Did you ever know a guy out of Memphis by the name of Glen Kerr (sp?)? He ran a Triumph on nitro, but my memories are very vague. My dad's shop was one of his sponsors.

Glen Kerr at the back of the van, on the ground left to right Gordon Kateley, Boris Murray...Standing left to right, Bob Chantland smiling, Dave Campos, Carolyn Kerr, Leo Payne, Joan Campos, JoAnn Campos, Pat Smith, Boris's wife Helen, and Boris's son Scott....

Granddaddy Joe taking picture...

GRANDDADDY JOE SMITH
INDY WORLD CHAMP
1971,74 & 75
http://www.granddaddyjoesmith.com
Copyright 2007-2015. Joe Smith. All rights reserved
Joe Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 06:07 PM   #263
Joe Smith

When Boris Murray was match racing me in the seventies he called his bike "The Rat Killer" because my bike was known as "King Rat"...

GRANDDADDY JOE SMITH
INDY WORLD CHAMP
1971,74 & 75

Old 08-18-2010, 10:25 PM   #264
BobbErik

Here's a BSA I took pictures of at last spring's British show in San Jose.

BobbErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:38 AM   #265
frank spittle

Thanks BobbErik,

Those photos show in great detail how many of that era's Drag Bikes were built 40-50 years ago. The shifter has been moved to the right rear foot peg and the rear brake is operated directly from the brake. That looks crude in today's standard but was nice engineering for the time. I love it!
frank spittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:42 PM   #266
BobbErik

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank spittle View Post
Thanks BobbErik,

Those photos show in great detail how many of that era's Drag Bikes were built 40-50 years ago. The shifter has been moved to the right rear foot peg and the rear brake is operated directly from the brake. That looks crude in today's standard but was nice engineering for the time. I love it!
I love it as well, as I stared at this thing I imagined how the guys raced it back in the day. A lot of skill and of course balls no doubt. But safe is boring, with adrenaline coursing through your veins, it's always good to hop scotch the thin line of life and death to appreciate the feeling of being alive.

BobbErik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:55 PM   #267
Dusty

I worked for Dwain Taylor in Albany GA., back in the early 60’s. Dwain was already running Gas Drag Bikes out of his Shop, aka T&M Triumph. He raced from 1957 until around 1966. He went to Fuel in 1960, and had a single engine job named “Grandma”. At the same time he built a twin engine job named “Deuce of Spades”, that everyone just called “The Deuce”. We raced all over the Southeast, GA, AL. FL, and the Carolina’s. In 1963 He was given a Honda dealership. Imagine that. They were so hard up for dealers to sell their product, that they gave dealerships to established Motorcycle shops. Dwain quickly built 3 more shops around GA, & Fla, and didn’t have time for racing after Honda took off. Billy Denby did almost all of the piloting of the bikes during that time. In 1966 Dwain sold “Grandma” to a guy from the Chicago area. The next year Dwain donated the “Deuce” to Triumph USA, and it was shipped to England when they folded here in the states. “Grandma would run around 130 in the quarter, and the Deuce would run around 150. There are a lot more stories of Dwain and his cam designs and all the fun we had racing back in the early 60’s. The pictures are of Dwain in 1958, with the Deuce, and then a shot of Grandma, and the Deuce in 1961. Both Dwain and Billy are still alive and well living in Florida
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dwain and the Deuce (Custom).jpg
Views:	690
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	52555   Click image for larger version

Name:	Duece in Showroom (Large).jpg
Views:	640
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	52556   Click image for larger version

Name:	Grandma 1957 version.jpg
Views:	710
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	52557  

Last edited by Dusty; 08-19-2010 at 08:19 PM.
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:48 PM   #268
frank spittle

1979 - My Year Racing Top Fuel Motorcycles Part 5

The week had passed quickly and it was time to travel again to Old Dominion Drag Strip in Manassas Virginia to race Frog Thacker on Virgil Naff's Fuel Bike. This time Frank Norris and I decided to leave our homes at 6am on Sunday morning and drive straight to the track. We should get there around noon and have plenty of time before our first round at 3:00. We would race again at 4:00 and 5:00. The weather forecast was 0% chance of rain so that was one worry out of the way. I was still a little uneasy because it would be my first passes beside another race bike. As if that was not enough Thacker made things worse by telling me that I may not be able to react fast enough to getting out of shape to prevent crashing. I believe he had two reasons for telling me that. One was to make me aware of the possibility and also protect himself. He knew I had not made a pass on it except single runs.

Manassas was a very narrow track just like Shuffletown Dragway in Charlotte so there was not much room to try to correct if it did not want to go straight. His warning kind of syched me out. I didn't know if I could react to a bad situation fast enough and I sure did not want to cause both of us to crash. It was unnerving. I walked out to the starting line and made a couple passes in my mind. Believe it or not it did help me. I knew I had stayed in my lane in Charlotte and it was much like Old Dominion.

It was nearing 3:00 so we were called out for our first run. I tried to keep from worrying but it was my first time racing another bike. It is not as easy as making single runs. Mr. ice veins Thacker was not showing any concern as we were plugging our starters in. He thumped his cigarette away and said one more time "be careful. You will do fine". We fired and did our burnouts at the same time. My heart was pounding and my legs shaking. It was the first time I had been beside another Fuel Bike in 10 years. As Frank was pushing me back I looked over and Virgil was pushing Frog back. Then I was shocked to see right in front of me one of my heros. It was Sonny Routt and I had not seen him in several years. He had just got to the track but had retired from racing. He did not know me other than "the guy who bought the Danny Johnson bike. He knew Frog and Virgil very well but I was the one he kept looking at as I eased into the clocks. He looked me in the eyes with a big smile and gave me a thumb's up as he walked behind me. I can not tell you how much good it did for me. I pre-staged and waited for Frog to pre-stage. We both lit the stage bulbs at almost the same instant. I was a nervous wreck not knowing what was going to happen. The yellow bulb lit and Frog jumped out to a 2 bike lead on me. Then he started smoking the slick and I pulled up with him but lost traction too and started smoking my slick. We were both on and off the throttle trying to gain traction but really put out a lot of tire smoke. It was a close race but Frog crossed the finish line first. I was disappointed my first match race was not better but the spectators liked it.

When I got back to my pit space Sonny was there. I was a little ashamed I had done so bad. He shook my hand and said "I don't know you but that was as professional a run as I have seen". I could not believe what he was saying. I thought it stunk. It sure did my ego some good and made the next two runs much easier. I had been out of control on the track and was able to think fast enough to correct it. I was not as concerned when I made the final two runs. I took one win and Frog took the other.

On the drive home I was feeling confident my first National Event at Memphis was one I would be prepared for.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	214.4 KB
ID:	52554  
Old 08-19-2010, 08:58 PM   #269
frank spittle

Thanks for the post Dusty. I have added "The Deuce" to the list.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:48 PM   #270
Dusty

Frank...
This is a good topic you have drawn together here. Some of the names I have heard before. Don't forget to put "Grandma" on the list too...She was a fuel burner also.... She was the only fuel bike I ever rode. I think if Dwain had stayed in the racing game I may have been one of the pilots for her.... Jim Thorne and I had both made practice runs with her...Jim passed away this past May. When Dwain opened the shop in Tallahasee, Jim moved down there to run that shop...That was in 1966. Most all of the shop guys are gone. All that are left are..... Myself, Billy Denby, Dwain, and Joe Marshall, who now lives in Piedmont Alabama.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:58 PM   #271
frank spittle

Dusty,

The list I was refering to on post 297 is for multi-engine British Fuel Bikes. "The Deuce" has been added.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:40 AM   #272
Keith Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank spittle View Post
Dusty,

The list I was refering to on post 297 is for multi-engine British Fuel Bikes. "The Deuce" has been added.
Hey Frank, I have a whole load of multi-engined British bikes to add to the list, but I suspect you are looking for American builds!
It the criteria is that they needed to race in the US, then Dennis Norman's double Triumph would qualify, as he came to Indy in 1970, where he qualified for the top eliminator.
Keith Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 05:41 AM   #273
Joe Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Lee View Post
Hey Frank, I have a whole load of multi-engined British bikes to add to the list, but I suspect you are looking for American builds!
It the criteria is that they needed to race in the US, then Dennis Norman's double Triumph would qualify, as he came to Indy in 1970, where he qualified for the top eliminator.
Hey Keith,

There were quite a few that came from the UK that year, I remember this one bike had a out board flywheel...I think this is it, I have so many pictures in my files plus photo bucket but I never tag anything, now I wish I had...I'm sure you recognize the name on the bike...

There were a lot of bikes that year qualifying for an eight bike field but I don't recall any of the UK bikes making the field, I could be wrong, long time ago...

GRANDDADDY JOE SMITH
INDY WORLD CHAMP
1971,74 & 75
Old 08-21-2010, 06:35 AM   #274
Keith Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Smith View Post
Hey Keith,

There were quite a few that came from the UK that year, I remember this one bike had a out board flywheel...I think this is it, I have so many pictures in my files plus photo bucket but I never tag anything, now I wish I had...I'm sure you recognize the name on the bike...

There were a lot of bikes that year qualifying for an eight bike field but I don't recall any of the UK bikes making the field, I could be wrong, long time ago...
Yes Granddaddy Joe, that is the Pegasus Vincent of good friends Ian Messenger, Derek Chinn and Mick Butler. They did not quite make the field, but Dennis Norman qualified his 1300 Triumph double with a 9.9, but lost out in the first round of elims.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:54 AM   #275
Joe Smith

I'm sure you're right Keith, it was so long ago I don't remember...One thing to notice about this picture...this bike was build with today's modern idea, take note of how far forward the Engine is from the rear tire...it looks like it was built with today's tech knowledge of trying to keep the front end on the ground and letting the great power of the engines and slider clutches do their job...

As far as the Twin Triumph you are talking about, is this it...

GRANDDADDY JOE SMITH
INDY WORLD CHAMP
1971,74 & 75

Last edited by Joe Smith; 08-21-2010 at 07:02 AM. Reason: adding pictures
Old 08-21-2010, 11:32 AM   #276
frank spittle

Keith,

This list is for all multi-engine British Fuel Bikes. There were probably as many built outside the USA. The only requirement is NITRO and at least 50%. It is my opinion any less than 50% it would not have been competitive in the Fuel ranks but that is just my opinion. As you can see the list has not reached a dozen bikes so far.

Joe,

Those are two great bikes you posted. It looks like the twin engine Triumph is also supercharged. Awesome bike!
Old 08-21-2010, 01:14 PM   #277
Keith Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Smith View Post

As far as the Twin Triumph you are talking about, is this it...

Yes Joe, that is indeed the bike of Dennis 'Stormin' Norman. He was, and still is, one of the sport's real characters. Prior to this bike he ran a supercharged Ariel Square 4.
The double Triumph was followed by a double Norton, which was not as successful. He used a pair of brand new Norton motors - but unfortunately the oilways had not been drilled in the heads!

Frank, I will think about the British doubles. In earlier times a lot of racers did not use very high nitro loads - especially on the blown engines.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:46 PM   #278
Dusty

Frank...
This single engine blown fuel Triumph is from England, and I'm not sure if it ever raced in the states or not. It is an interesting design tho' with the carburaters down close to the track. Included is a short write up from the guy's in England..

The Mcoy Weslake Triumph Fuel dragbike better known as Rouge et Noir 2. In 1975 Keith Parnell was the first European to break the 9 second 1/4 mile barrier with an 8.93 second pass. He was riding his original bike Rouge et Noir however at this level of performance she was beginning to get very much out of shape. During the winter of 75 /76 ReN2 was built by the Mcoy Dynamics team Made up of Keith, Angus Mcphail and Mick hand. Both Ag and Mick were both accomplished drag racers in there own right. Keith ran the bike in 1976 but unfortunately crashed badly at Santa pod. While he was recovering the boys rebuilt the bike and Mick rode it for a while the bike was on display at Keith's Kawa dealership in Cornwall for a few years only to return to the track at the 1999 classic bike sprint where Keith was guest of honor.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RN4.jpg
Views:	656
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	52622   Click image for larger version

Name:	RN2.jpg
Views:	622
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	52623   Click image for larger version

Name:	RN3.jpg
Views:	651
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	52624  

Last edited by Dusty; 08-21-2010 at 11:58 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:20 AM   #279
Keith Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
Frank...
This single engine blown fuel Triumph is from England, and I'm not sure if it ever raced in the states or not. It is an interesting design tho' with the carburaters down close to the track. Included is a short write up from the guy's in England..

The Mcoy Weslake Triumph Fuel dragbike better known as Rouge et Noir 2. In 1975 Keith Parnell was the first European to break the 9 second 1/4 mile barrier with an 8.93 second pass. He was riding his original bike Rouge et Noir however at this level of performance she was beginning to get very much out of shape. During the winter of 75 /76 ReN2 was built by the Mcoy Dynamics team Made up of Keith, Angus Mcphail and Mick hand. Both Ag and Mick were both accomplished drag racers in there own right. Keith ran the bike in 1976 but unfortunately crashed badly at Santa pod. While he was recovering the boys rebuilt the bike and Mick rode it for a while the bike was on display at Keith's Kawa dealership in Cornwall for a few years only to return to the track at the 1999 classic bike sprint where Keith was guest of honor.
Keith never raced the bikes in America.
The original Rouge et Noir was a great racer, and I was pleased to be trackside to photograph that first 8 second run.
Rouge et Noir 2 was bought off Keith by Phil Steele, who had the bike reworked and now runs it at NSA sprint meetings. The racing picture you attached is with Phil riding the bike.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:03 AM   #280
RidingHood

Here are some more Brit powered Nitro burning Multi engine bikes to add to the list (dates are the best info I have regarding when the bikes set their highest speeds and quickest ETs
Alan Mavor's triple engine Norton built by Performance Cycle of Metairie ,Louisiana ( ,170 mph 8.4 ET date ??(apparently chassis problems meant all the power couldnt get to the ground) .
"TwoFaced" Peter Williams (UK),A twin engine pre unit Triumph 1300cc 141 mph 10.21 ET in 1968
Warren Affleck ( Australia) purchaced the ex Sonny Routt fueller and raced it downunder- 167 mph 8.30 ET 1978
"Pegasus"-Ian Messenger ( with Derek Chinn ,Mick Butler) (UK)supercharged dual Norton 178 mph 8.3 ET 1978
"Olympus II"- John Hobbs (UK) dual Triumph 155.28 mph 9.16 ET 1974
"The Hobbit" -John Hobbs (UK)Blown dual Weslake 168.9 mph 8.07 ET 1979
"Double Dutch"-Ton Pels (Netherlands) dual triumph mph ?? ET ?? 1979
"Double Dutch" -Ton Pels (Netherlands) Dual Puma (aftermarket UK manufacturer) mph ?? ET ?? 1988
Norman Hyde (UK) Dual blown triumph Trident (not sure if this was a nitro bike mph??? ET ??? date ???)
There were quite a few Australian Multi engine brit drag bikes from the 60's & 70's but cant be sure how many were Nitro fuelled same with New Zealand
To anyone in the know, feel free to make corrections or add data
Cheers R
RidingHood is offline   Reply With Quote