Vintage Fuel Drag Bikes - Page 13 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 08-06-2010, 12:04 PM   #241
glorydays

Default Re: Vintage Fuel Drag Bikes

How much was that magnacharger overdriven?
glorydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2010, 10:31 PM   #242
Joe Smith

For those Harley Riders that know Willy G. (Davidson) from the HD Factory...

Did you know at one time he played a different Character, a different look than what you know him to be today...

My Wife Pat on left, Mrs Willy G and Willy G. his younger self...This was at Union Grove Drag Strip in 1971...How about those pants...

GRANDDADDY JOE SMITH
INDY WORLD CHAMP
1971,74 & 75
http://www.granddaddyjoesmith.com
Copyright 2007-2015. Joe Smith. All rights reserved

Last edited by Joe Smith; 08-07-2010 at 09:58 PM.
Joe Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 09:24 PM   #243
Regulator

Wow...that pic of Mr. and Mrs. Willie G. is outrageous!!!...I don't think I could have guessed who that was even if I was given his initials as a clue...that is one great picture most certainly...

Mr. Joe, and all the others that have shared their stories...thank you sooo much...this is my favorite thread ever...the pictures and personal stories are fabulous to us old fans of the sport from way back who watched from the stands...it really means alot to me to read about the history of Motorcycle Drag Racing from those who were there...

I appreciate every new story and picture posted...

Larry in MD

Old 08-08-2010, 11:57 AM   #244
snowie65

so glad to be reading all this great stuff the best thread ever thanks very much!!!!!!
snowie65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 02:33 PM   #245
Lucky59

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowie65 View Post
so glad to be reading all this great stuff the best thread ever thanks very much!!!!!!
Likewise, I totally agree!....As a young pup who loved American and British bikes, (are there any other kind) I idolized most of you riders and builders. Sad to say magazine articles were as close as I got, but at least you people were more accessible in those days, like I could even get through to the H-D race Dept by phone to ask questions. Also, people like Warner Riley, Jerry Branch and Jim Leinweber were just a call away and were always more than willing to spend time contributing to my education. I still talk with Jim every chance I get. Thanks to all you guys for giving us a peek into what we could only dream about doing.

GW
Lucky59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:28 PM   #246
frank spittle

Glorydays,

That was 31 years ago but I believe the Magnacharger on my bike was overdriven 30%. The first Magnacharger I saw was on Russ Collin's single Honda in about '73 at Bowling Green. It was the best sounding T/F Bike I had ever heard but he couldn't get it down the track. A couple years later Ron Teson got his bike (just like Collin's bike and out of RC Engineering) working and changed Top Fuel to the present.

Joe,

Yes, the Atchinson, Topeka & Sante Fe has been a coffee table for the last 34 years.

Regulator, snowie65, Lucky59,

Thanks for taking the time to let us know you enjoy our memories.
frank spittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:35 PM   #247
frank spittle

Since it has been awhile since I posted a picture of an AMERICAN Top Fuel Bike I raced here you go. You can see the Elmer Trett double Harley just as I bought it from him and then how it looked after it became "The Freight Train". I raced it a full season as it was when I bought it. It was "Elmer's Old Bike" that year so I tried to give it my idenity. I planned to ride it a couple years and hire a rider. By then it would not be identified with a rider but be a "machine".

Today it is probably better known as a machine although the "geezers" still call it "Elmer's old bike".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11 (2).jpg
Views:	1302
Size:	752.5 KB
ID:	52184   Click image for larger version

Name:	12 (2).jpg
Views:	657
Size:	814.4 KB
ID:	52185  

Last edited by frank spittle; 08-08-2010 at 07:50 PM.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:58 PM   #248
Lucky59

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank spittle View Post
Glorydays,

That was 31 years ago but I believe the Magnacharger on my bike was overdriven 30%. The first Magnacharger I saw was on Russ Collin's single Honda in about '73 at Bowling Green. It was the best sounding T/F Bike I had ever heard but he couldn't get it down the track. A couple years later Ron Teson got his bike (just like Collin's bike and out of RC Engineering) working and changed Top Fuel to the present.

Joe,

Yes, the Atchinson, Topeka & Sante Fe has been a coffee table for the last 34 years.

Regulator, snowie65, Lucky59,

Thanks for taking the time to let us know you enjoy our memories.

Frank, thank you, and the others also. I'm stuck on every word!

Never drag raced professionally, but when I was 11/12 my dad got me a thoroughbred mare from the stockyards that had killed one man and seriously injured another. I guess she was two days away from being turned into dog food when we got her. My dad said she was trouble but I had to have her and clocked her at 42 alongside a studebaker with me riding. I guess she would go nuts and flip over if you put a sadddle on her, that's what got her to the stock yard. Anyway we became one and I only rode her bare back, it was amazing beyond belief. She died one night when I ran her into a fence post after dark. So it goes....

Thanks again...GW
Lucky59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:41 AM   #249
Keith Lee

I have just posted a clip on youtube that I filmed in 1981 of John Hobbs riding his twin-engined blown Weslake. John was the top British racer, but this was 2 years after he retired from riding the bike full time, and it was his first pass of the year. He did not look very rusty!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Oe-305y4oA
Keith Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:29 PM   #250
frank spittle

Thanks for your post Keith. I have read much about John Hobbs over the decades but it is very nice to see that twin-engine Weslake Fuel Bike.

Last edited by frank spittle; 08-11-2010 at 04:34 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:54 PM   #251
frank spittle

1979 - MY YEAR RACING TOP FUEL MOTORCYCLES PART 4

My next booking was a week after the Shuffletown appearance, a match race Frog Thacker had arranged at Old Dominion Dragstrip in Manassas Virginia. Thacker was the guy who had made the first passes on my bike at Gainesville 6 months earlier. He was a hired gun and was riding for Virgil Naff, a pioneer Bowling Green T/F racer who had hung up his helmet a couple years earlier. Naff's bike was almost identical to mine, a blown & injected nitro I-4. Danny Johnson was to be Thacker's opponent but did not have his new bike finished. I was really shocked when Frog called me knowing I had only made a few passes on it. But he didn't think like most people. He was one fearless dude. I was told he had once worked as a steelworker on skyscrapers.

The plan was to leave Charlotte at 6pm on Saturday evening with my crew chief Frank Norris and drive the 5 hours to Richmond, an hour from the track, and spend the night there. I had purchased a Dodge Maxi-Van to haul the bike to the races. In 1979 vans were the vehicle of choice for many motorcycle racers. You could remove the bench seat behind the two front bucket seats, turn it sideways, and have room for a large race bike....and a large tool box. Enclosed trailers were rare back then. Touring pros like Joe Smith had them. My van was just 4 years old but had over 100,000 miles road miles on it. It still looked about new and ran and drove great. It was just what I needed.

We departed Charlotte on time and started the trip with me driving. We talked for awhile about the race and Frank leaned back against his seat. I tuned in to the pop music station and a new song I liked very much was playing. I had been hearing it while we were listening to the radio in Frank's shop. This was the era of disco and this was ....well different. It was not disco but was very catchy. It started out with an electric piano and the lead singer, who had a high voice, singing "When I was young it seemed that life was so wonderful, a miracle, it was beautiful, magical". That was me living out my magical fantasy of being a T/F Motorcycle racer. I finally found out the singer. It was Supertramp's "The Logical Song" which became one of the year's biggest hits. The trip went quickly and we decided to drive past Richmond to stop.

When I woke up the next morning it was raining. Gulfport again. Shit. The morning news wasn't encouraging about the day. We ate breakfast and headed for the track. About five miles up the interstate "all hell broke loose" under the van. I looked in the rear view mirror and saw the driveshaft turning wildly and sliding like a snake. I pulled over and ran to get it out of the highway. I had a CB radio so I called the Virginia Highway Patrol. Soon a patrolman arrived and I got out of my van as he was getting out of his patrol car. As he walked by my van he looked in the windows and saw the bike. The first words out of his mouth were "have you got a radar detector". You see they were illegal in Virginia and if you were caught with one you were fined a stiff penalty or arrested. I told him I didn't but he still searched my van..even the toolbox. He could have been looking for drugs too I guess. He called a rollback and it was an hour before we got to his service station. He could not repair my van until the next day because the parts stores were closed on Sundays. I told him I was booked for a race in Manassas and he quoted me a price of delivering my van there but he could not stay so I would pay him twice. It was all moot...it was still raining. I called Thacker to tell him what was going on and that if it cleared up I would get there. It never did that day. Frank Norris caught a Greyhound bus (the station was 1 block away) home and I stayed until Monday to get the repairs done and started home. Our match race was rescheduled for the next weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	501.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	369.5 KB
ID:	52291  

Last edited by frank spittle; 08-11-2010 at 06:00 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:35 PM   #252
frank spittle

I mentioned in an earlier post we will try to compile a list of all MULTI-engine Fuel Drag Bikes from the past. Let's start with the British manufacturers. I know I can't recall them all so the ones I have missed please add to this list. I will try to record the builder owner(s) rider(s) and the era built.

"Dubble Trubble" Triumph----Bud Hare/Bill Koch early '50s
"Two Timer" Triumph---Dick Rios Late '50s
"Perry & Scott" Triumph---Early '60s
"The Cannibal" Triumph---Bob Leppan Early '60s
"Don Hyland" Triumph---Early '60s
"The Deuce of Spades" Triumph---Dwain Taylor/Billy Denby Early '60s
"Boris Murray" Triumph---Mid '60s
"Sonny Routt" Triumph---Larry Welch/Bob Mauriello/Warren Affleck Early '60s
"Bob Chantland" Triumph---Late '60s
"The Hogslayer" Norton---T.C. Christenson Late '60s
"Carl Ahlfeldt" BSA ----Late 60s
"Dennis Norman" Triumph (UK)--Late '60s
"Two Faced" Triumph (UK)---Peter Williams Late '60s
"Pegasus" Norton (UK)---Ian Messenger '70s
"Olympus II" Triumph (UK)---John Hobbs '70s
"Double Dutch" Triumph (UK)---Ton Pels '70s
"Triclops" Norton Triple Engine--Alan Mavor/Duke McDonald/ TC Christenson Late '70s
Some of these bikes are pictured on this thread. There are some pictured on this thread I can't identify.

I will continue to update this list by editing it with your help. I believe T.C. was the last to throw in the towel. I also believe he was the only multi-engine British Fuel Bike racer to record a 7 second 1/4 mile run. As always, if I am wrong I want to be corrected for history's sake.

Next: A list of the multi-engine Harleys.

Last edited by frank spittle; 08-22-2010 at 08:11 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:17 PM   #253
Joe Smith

I built a Double Triumph in the mid 50's...A Friend had two 30/50 Triumphs and ask if I could use the two bike's and build a bike like Double Trouble...

I cut the two Bikes apart and with some extra tubing, hack saw, files and a welding torch I built a Double Triumph... I've tried to find some record of it but no luck, it was a Gas Bike and it only ran a couple passes at the Old Colton Drag Strip on a Saturday night, it ran a best of 118 MPH...it was on the ill handling side, is that any surprise...

GRANDDADDY JOE SMITH
INDY WORLD CHAMP
1971,74 & 75
Old 08-14-2010, 04:34 AM   #254
Keith Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank spittle View Post
I mentioned in an earlier post we will try to compile a list of all multi-engine Fuel Drag Bikes from the past. Let's start with the British manufacturers. I know I can't recall them all so the ones I have missed please add to this list. I will try to record the builder owner(s) rider(s) and the era built.

"Dubble Trubble" Triumph----Bud Hare/Bill Koch early 50s
"Two Timer" Triumph---Dick Rios Late 50s
"Perry & Scott" Triumph---Early 60s
"The Cannibal" Triumph---Bob Leppan Early 60s
"Boris Murray" Triumph---Late 60s
"Sonny Routt" Triumph---Larry Welch/Bob Mauriello Late 60s
"Bob Chantland" Triumph---Late 60s
"The Hogslayer" Norton---T.C. Christenson Late 60s
Carl Ahlfeldt BSA Late 60s

Some of these bikes are pictured on this thread. There are some pictured on this thread I can't identify.
One addition comes to mind Frank.

Don Hyland raced a double Triumph back in 1964. As a youngster in England when it visited, I remember the big STP sticker on the crankcase - and wondering what on earth that was for!
Keith Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 08:17 AM   #255
ironwigwam

Frank,
The Routt Triumph was owned and built by Sonny Routt and built and rode by larry "Rocket "Welch , Hyattsville , MD during its career as a Fuel Champ in 70's. Later in 73 or 76, Bob Mauriello from North new jersey ran a Sportster in B/Fuel while Larry fielded a fuel sporty and also drove the Routt Triumph at the same meets.
Ironwigwam
1957 S/VG
ironwigwam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 09:32 AM   #256
Nottso

I think Borris Murray's Triumph was called the "Twin T." I could very easily be mistaken about that though.

For small, extremely clean, remote oil filters please see my new Jock Shop.
Nottso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:51 PM   #257
speedyjones

Bad ass thread!
Old 08-15-2010, 03:39 PM   #258
Joe Smith

The good old Days...

GRANDDADDY JOE SMITH
INDY WORLD CHAMP
1971,74 & 75
Old 08-15-2010, 03:47 PM   #259
Joe Smith

From the past and no I didn't get to watch her put it on...

GRANDDADDY JOE SMITH
INDY WORLD CHAMP
1971,74 & 75
Old 08-17-2010, 09:28 PM   #260
frank spittle

Thanks Keith. I have added Don Hyland to the list.

ironwigwam, I am not sure what year Welch stepped away from the Routt double but I believe it was '73 or '74. There were times he did ride the double and his Harley at the same race. But once Mauriello started riding the double in '74 or so he rode it until Routt retired it I believe, in '76 or so.

Nottso, I don't recall Boris Murray's bike being refered to as "Twin T". Maybe he can clear that up for us.

speedyjones, thanks.

Joe, I remember the Venolia ads back when the magazines were printed. The ad mentioned "the old pro" and "what hasn't he won?" There were other products you endorsed too I believe including Joe Hunt Vertex Magnetos. You were quite the spokesman! And quite the T-shirt model selector too.

Last edited by frank spittle; 08-17-2010 at 09:49 PM.