Show Me Your Tyres / Tires - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 03-31-2017, 05:22 PM   #1
CookieMonster

Default Show Me Your Tyres / Tires

It's occurred to me that I know too little about tyres, so thought I'd start a thread on the matter. I'm an ignoramus, shoot me.

When you own a classic or chopper, it's all too tempting to use tyres that fit the look of the bike but maybe don't handle too well. There are also tyres that look like they'll land you flat on the tarmac, but defy logic in this sense - the semi knobblies on DanBoy's Trumpet for example, which he says handle great on shitty UK roads where it rains all day.

What do you run on your bike? The following information would be useful, to me or anyone else searching this subject.

- Brand / type
- Supplier
- What made you choose them
- Handling
- How they perform in different weather conditions
- Type of bike? Wondered if this was irrelevant, but maybe not if it's a long bike (for example).
- # miles you put on 'em
- Road / dirt / track
- Price

Pictures would be good.

If anyone else thinks of any useful information to be added, it's welcome.

It doesn't have to be in this format, bits of information like 'I bought a set of these, they're useless in the wet' would also be nice.

Thanks folks.

Last edited by CookieMonster; 03-31-2017 at 05:50 PM.
CookieMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2017, 06:00 PM   #2
Ratso

Default Re: Show Me Your Tyres / Tires

I have sworn by Bridgestone BT45s since the turn of the century or so, on account of performance (first) and price. My bike doesn't make much power, but it is heavy and I ride it pretty hard. The tires are great wet or dry, and obviate BMW twins' tendency to tuck the front end in slow turns. Also, BT45 fronts are still available in 19" -- seems like the other 19"ers available are distinctly low-performance, built for economy and possibly for period looks. I get 5,000+ miles out of mine, loving every minute.
Ratso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 06:42 PM   #3
rhysmort

Firestone crossply 15x5.5"

I like the basara MC japanese leaning style of bikes.. but it's a lovely tyre, about 290 quid a go though!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pan3.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	531.6 KB
ID:	233913  
rhysmort is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2017, 08:38 PM   #4
tomsoftail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratso View Post
I have sworn by Bridgestone BT45s since the turn of the century or so, on account of performance (first) and price. My bike doesn't make much power, but it is heavy and I ride it pretty hard. The tires are great wet or dry, and obviate BMW twins' tendency to tuck the front end in slow turns. Also, BT45 fronts are still available in 19" -- seems like the other 19"ers available are distinctly low-performance, built for economy and possibly for period looks. I get 5,000+ miles out of mine, loving every minute.
Wow, that is a sensible tire! I like the reviews. Maybe in the cards for me.... I'm not into the look of the avon speed master, he performance is quite okay I've heard however.
tomsoftail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 09:55 AM   #5
magnum45pete

Avon Roadriders Front & back for my two,
I used to use Venoms but they stopped making them & Cobras have taken over from them, real sticky and work great in all weather but pricy.
if you want a tyre for riding and scratching you need a good modern tyre,
if ya in it just for looks then the bigger balloon tyres like Avon SM, Firestone and Coker seem to fit the bill but end of the day they DONT perform as well as a modern tyre.
never liked the idea of a dirt bike tyre on the front,asking for a fall,
some think it looks ''Kool'' but not me,
I like to stay stuck on the road in any conditions and I don't plan on going off road,....
don't believe it when ya hear a 25 year old saying things like ''In the day they all used these''....no we didn't, im coming up to 43 years on the road and we always got the best we could,tyre proud so to speak,
M&P on Ebay do great deals on Pairs of tyres shipped to ya door in 2 days at no extra cost.
end of the day it all depends what you want the bike to do, ...look good,...Perform well or a bit of both....Avon, Metzeler, Perelli, Goodyear,Dunlop & Bridgstone are all good makes to look at.
magnum45pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 10:39 AM   #6
Ratso

Tyre proud! Exactly. Even though they do look anachronistic, I like to see good modern tires on a bike that looks like it should be ridden hard. Gives me a little faith that the rider likes to go around corners quickly.
Old 04-01-2017, 03:10 PM   #7
M.O.Ther

Old tires. I've got a bunch of them, and I use them on my projects. I've got two million tires in my stash of stuff. here's one of them:

Seriously, I just keep that one, and the other million, just to say I've got two million tires. The ones I use on my projects are mostly NOS, just older.

The tire manufacturers recommend that you change your tires after 7 years whether they're worn out or not, because of age. I take recommendations like that with a grain of salt, especially when it's from someone who is trying to sell me something, or an organization that's in bed with those people. Also, you'd have to take into consideration that the manufacturers are thinking about a worse case scenario, like a vehicle that's in a hot climate, driven at high speeds on hot roads with underinflated tires, and always parked in the bright sun. The biggest enemies of rubber are heat, ultraviolet light, and ozone. Tires will last a lot longer stored in a cool dry dark place, away from old electric motors.

The 7 year recommendation is mostly for car and light truck tires. Motorcycle tires are made a little better, well most of them. But the tire companies and safety nannies don't mind that the perception of the recommendation is that it applies to motorcycle tires as well.

I also take into consideration the way I ride. I'm staring 70 in the face, so I'm not doing a lot of high speed or stunt crazy stuff. Mostly afternoon or evening cruises. Old tires are not right for everybody. The one bike I would take on a long distance ride, my Twinkie Cop ElectraGlide, has newer modern tires.

As an example, here's a pic from my current project. The tire is a Dunlop K181 RWL in the oddball size of 130/90-18. I have no idea for what bike that tire was originally manufactured, but I've got a pair of them for the front and rear of this deal.

Last edited by M.O.Ther; 04-01-2017 at 03:20 PM.
M.O.Ther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 04:58 PM   #8
shovithead

If we knew how many people will comment on this one, then we would know how many different opinions there are for this one. lol

I have sportsters, full dressers and everything in between. None, have the same tires on them. But then I am like MOTher, and run what there is laying around the shop. My two exceptions, is the Dytch sportster, which gets new tires consistently, and the shovel chop, which is the daily rider. The rest just sit, and wait in turn for me to call their names for a monthly ride.

My only exception, is I don't use any of the cheap, cheap tires, on anything.

72 Chevy C30 truck
73 Custom Shovel
72 XLH
70 XLH
69 XLH
68 XLCH *project*
66 FLH *Daily Rider*
66 Shovel/Pan/Pan
65 XLCH *project*
60 XLCH Doc Dytch*project*
51 FL *project*
42 UL*project*
Non Dated, S&S Panhead with 65 swingarm *project*
shovithead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 05:44 PM   #9
CookieMonster

Thanks guys, I'm taking all this on board.

My Ironhead Sporty has holes drilled in the rim to screw the tyres in place, running a Dunlop K291T. (Not screwed at the moment.)

I've read up on this, no conclusion in my mind yet.

Did I just poke a hornets nest?
Old 04-01-2017, 07:04 PM   #10
shovithead

Not really. When you open a hornets nest, you get stung. Here , you only get a lot of technical/personal opinions. Like asking what spark plug is the best, or which oil is the best. But, in the end, you always end up learning something. And it don't matter what you ask, as long as it is not about your broken heart. We can't do anything about that.

72 Chevy C30 truck
73 Custom Shovel
72 XLH
70 XLH
69 XLH
68 XLCH *project*
66 FLH *Daily Rider*
66 Shovel/Pan/Pan
65 XLCH *project*
51 FL *project*
42 UL*project*
Old 04-02-2017, 03:33 AM   #11
CookieMonster

Well...maybe can of worms was the phrase I was looking for. Opinions welcome.

But, if you do try to fix my broken heart, you may get stung.
Old 04-02-2017, 04:56 AM   #12
shovithead

Yeah, that is because the heart, is a hornets nest. lol

I can actually cure the pain. But, I can't fix the break. Just, put you out of your misery. Cost????? About a buck.

72 Chevy C30 truck
73 Custom Shovel
72 XLH
70 XLH
69 XLH
68 XLCH *project*
66 FLH *Daily Rider*
66 Shovel/Pan/Pan
65 XLCH *project*
51 FL *project*
42 UL*project*
Old 04-02-2017, 06:35 AM   #13
CookieMonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovithead View Post
Yeah, that is because the heart, is a hornets nest. lol

I can actually cure the pain. But, I can't fix the break. Just, put you out of your misery. Cost????? About a buck.

I'll take it into consideration.

Meanwhile, any idea whether I need to screw the tyres? Some factory wheels had barbs on the inside of the rim too, right?!
Old 04-02-2017, 01:58 PM   #14
Ratso

I wouldn't do it.
Old 04-02-2017, 02:45 PM   #15
CookieMonster

Quote:
I wouldn't do it.

Was talking to some guys today, and did some more digging on here. Consensus seems to be that it's a track thing / not necessary with today's compounds / running at higher pressures. I learned something.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:22 PM   #16
Just Passin' Thru...

I went with a Dunlop Gold Seal K70 for BugEyes rear tire....
Just Passin' Thru... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 08:05 AM   #17
Ratso

For an old-fashioned-looking tread, if that's what you're into, what about Dunlop K87s? They've a softer compound and a more corner-friendly profile than the K70. They were the hot patootie in their day.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:20 PM   #18
CookieMonster

Quote:
For an old-fashioned-looking tread, if that's what you're into, what about Dunlop K87s? They've a softer compound and a more corner-friendly profile than the K70. They were the hot patootie in their day.

Thanks, I'll check those out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Passin' Thru... View Post

I went with a Dunlop Gold Seal K70 for BugEyes rear tire....

They look cool. What's that on the front?
Old 04-11-2017, 01:34 PM   #19
govmule84
Wannabe Hipster

Old 04-11-2017, 01:39 PM   #20
Dan Boy

I totally agree with you Liam, SM MKII is a great tyre. Love it on my chop.

http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic21807_5.gif

Blown Triple Build

When I was a boy, I thought about being a biker. Now I'm a biker, I think about being a boy.
Dan Boy is offline   Reply With Quote