Angry Monkey Motorcycles LONG bike Build thread - Page 4 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 01-28-2017, 08:42 PM   #61
supercrouton

Default Re: Angry Monkey Motorcycles LONG bike Build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhysmort View Post
Looks amazing!!

I also love the chunky front tyre, I have a bit of a things with knobby tyres at the moment! seen a knuck with a knobby back tyre and really dig it!

That tank is made for that frame sir.
I like the looks of knobbies, but after building a bike with dual sport knobbies, front and rear, I'm going to stick with more traditional rubber. The handling was a bit unsettling for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by govmule84 View Post
There's something very satisfying about watching a bike go together the right way, rather than halfassed.
Thanks Lemmie! I'll try not to disappoint on this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Boy View Post
Mentioning no names!
I'm sure he meant you too Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightclub View Post
That rear brake stay is very nice Dan, another small detail that sets the bike apart
Thanks Tom. There will be more details to come. Well, more weirdness too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAWS View Post
Is it safe to say that you have come over to the dark ... er long bike side?
Erm......It depends on how this one pans out. I come from sports bike and sports car background, so long bikes are still, well, alien to me.

Well, back to the updates:

The client is looking over this tank. Since he lives in a remote-ish area, he needs more fuel capacity than the prizm has. But I won't know for sure which one to go with until next week.

Also, thanks to Englishman, I have the risers sorted. They are 1.25" stainless bar stock drilled/tapped in 1/2-13 top and bottom. Since the rear legs are 8" apart, this is a good method to keep the bars from hitting the gas tank. I used B7 threaded rod between the risers and rear leg. This stuff is roughly twice the strength of un-alloyed threaded rod, and is close to grade8 specs. So remember kids, if you have to use all-thread, ask for the B7 shizzle.

I stepped the bottom of the risers .100" up and .250 in, so they contacted the leg and the top clamp simultaneously when installed.

Then some Puaghco clamps topped them off.

This bike will be getting forward controls. Not "Blow air up your trouser legs" forwards, just more forward than stock. Make no mistake, I HATE forwards on Triumphs. So I needed to come up with controls that work, fit, and don't stick out like a dog's balls. Also, they cannot drag ground in turns. Sooooooo, Here's what I came up with after propping my feet on strategically placed stacks of lumber while sitting where the saddle will go, and with my hands on the bars. The pic below shows one of three 1/2" stainless rods, per side, that will snake around the engine to support a threaded bung that a set of Joker Machine rear sets will eventually live in. I thought the bent bars/bungs would look a more elegant solution than a bunch of thick flat steel brackets bulging out all over the place (standard pre-made forwad controls). It doesn't look like much now, but be patient.

Angry Monkey Motorcycles official website

Last edited by supercrouton; 02-04-2017 at 05:59 PM.
supercrouton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2017, 02:26 AM   #62
Dan Boy

I can see where you're going with this one Dan. Love that look.

http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic21807_5.gif

Blown Triple Build

When I was a boy, I thought about being a biker. Now I'm a biker, I think about being a boy.
Dan Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:45 PM   #63
JAWS

Hmmmmmm.

ROLLING DEATH

"In short, if you have engineering experience and are cautious and sensible they're fun and look great, if you're lazy and stupid, throw them on the bike and go for a ride you'll be dead the same day." -=JL=
JAWS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2017, 09:27 AM   #64
supercrouton

Quick update....

The forward control mounts are complete as is the shift linkage. Next is sorting the brake linkage. Since the forward foot controls have much less leverage than the looooong stock foot pedal, I will have an additional lever midway, to correct that. Jam nuts on the linkage and better hardware were added after these pics were taken.

While there is some asymmetry in the brackets, because of the shape of the engine, the foot rests are level and even on both the horizontal and vertical axis. I tried to keep the top/forward bars shape the the same though since they are more prominent.

Last edited by supercrouton; 02-04-2017 at 10:02 AM.
Old 02-04-2017, 10:05 AM   #65
supercrouton

This is the start of the mid linkage spindle. It is cold rolled turned and threaded waiting to be trimmed and have lever arms attached. It will live where the stock brake pedal spindle used to go.

Old 02-04-2017, 11:17 AM   #66
JAWS

I like that! Looks comfy

ROLLING DEATH

"In short, if you have engineering experience and are cautious and sensible they're fun and look great, if you're lazy and stupid, throw them on the bike and go for a ride you'll be dead the same day." -=JL=
Old 02-04-2017, 01:31 PM   #67
Dan Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercrouton View Post

The tits Dan.

http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic21807_5.gif

Blown Triple Build

When I was a boy, I thought about being a biker. Now I'm a biker, I think about being a boy.
Dan Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 08:42 AM   #68
Garand69

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercrouton View Post
Quick update....

The forward control mounts are complete as is the shift linkage. Next is sorting the brake linkage. Since the forward foot controls have much less leverage than the looooong stock foot pedal, I will have an additional lever midway, to correct that. Jam nuts on the linkage and better hardware were added after these pics were taken.

Very stout and nicely done!
1998 Lowrider
Garand69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 02:10 PM   #69
selectedgrub

Always inspirational.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:08 PM   #70
supercrouton

Update! Exhaust time!

There are several things this exhaust must do:
Have general flow of original design off the head. They must NOT interfere with: ARD magneto, forward controls, riders footwear, passenger's feet/legs. They must be higher than the bottom frame rails for ease of service and ground clearance. They must be basically symmetrical left to right and follow some of the established lines of the bike's components. The cocktail shaker mufflers must match the lower frame rail's angle up to the axle plates. Whew! So, yeah, there has been some maths going on, as well as some serious head scratching.

After coming up with a design that "should" work, here is where they are so far. The next challenge will be getting the left pipe to match the right.

This pic shows how the right pipe follows the line of the shift linkage.

More updates to come.....

Old 02-07-2017, 01:47 PM   #71
image1

that exhaust is a tall order! lookin good though.

Random Chopper Goodness at the link below....
http://r4yl.blogspot.com/
image1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 10:33 AM   #72
supercrouton

Quote:
Originally Posted by image1 View Post
that exhaust is a tall order! lookin good though.
Thanks Joel!

Here is a little progress on the pipes.
The 1/4" boards are in place to keep the pipes level with, and above the bottom of the frame. They also serve well as a physical template to sketch pipe angles and cut lines.

The brake linkage is propped out of the way for the moment. The pipes had to get fully done before I made the brake linkage arms to avoid interference issues. This also allows me to have everything tuck in nice and tight together.

I use silicon bronze to fill imperfections, then file smooth. Have I mentioned how exhausting metal finishing is? Yeah. The pipe on this side needed to tuck in tight to the frame so the side stand can park more out of the way.

This shows puzle pipe piece #7 for this side. It will kick up the cocktail shakers to the same angle as the lower frame rails that go up to the axle plates.

Old 02-11-2017, 02:48 PM   #73
VonWegener

Right now I'm thinking that left pipe looks odd but then when the bike is all finished it will be wonderful. He's a Wizard that Dan.

VonWegener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 02:57 PM   #74
supercrouton

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonWegener View Post
Right now I'm thinking that left pipe looks odd but then when the bike is all finished it will be wonderful. He's a Wizard that Dan.
HAHA! You are too kind. Honestly, this whole LONG bike/forward controls/mufflers/ARD thing is a bit weird to me Good news though, the client decided to go with the prism tank and a LOT lower risers. So it may be more "digger" than "chopper" when it's all done.

Last edited by supercrouton; 02-21-2017 at 09:47 AM.
Old 02-11-2017, 05:52 PM   #75
CookieMonster

Sorry Dan, stupid question: you use silicon bronze on the exhausts? Would it show up when polished or are they getting some other treatment? I've never used it and I'm sure I'll feel an idiot when you reply.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:07 PM   #76
supercrouton

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieMonster View Post
Sorry Dan, stupid question: you use silicon bronze on the exhausts? Would it show up when polished or are they getting some other treatment? I've never used it and I'm sure I'll feel an idiot when you reply.
That's not a stupid question. The pipes are mild steel and are mostly fused, steel filler was only used in a few places. I use SB as filler on low spots (non structural) because it goes on at a lower temp than mild steel or stainless, while still bonding well with the parent metal. The lower temp reduces warp/shrink when you have to do a bit of clean-up/fill. The pipes will be ceramic coated when they are done. SB is also handy on old and new gas tanks to address leaks/pinholes for the same reason: lower heat = reduced/eliminated warp/shrink.

Old 02-11-2017, 06:53 PM   #77
JAWS

Hmmm.

ROLLING DEATH

Old 02-12-2017, 07:35 AM   #78
CookieMonster

Thanks Dan, good tip - I'll have to try some of that stuff one day. Love the way this is progressing.
Old 02-12-2017, 03:40 PM   #79
Lester

Nice work and another great tip to jot down.
Thanks
Lester
'75 BMW R90 stock
'83 BMW R100 commuter
'72 Triumph Bonneville Nothing special
'70s Jawa speedway DT500
'80 couple og Jap bikes too
Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 09:56 AM   #80
supercrouton

Small update. I pushed this thing outside to clean up and to check the lines. right side pipes took 4 pieces, left side 7 pieces. Also the prism tank and much lower risers look better to me.

Next will be metal-finishing the right pipe and securing the both pipes to the frame at the front and middle. The cocktail shakers have rear mounts on but not quite finished. After that will be getting the rear brake linkage/pivot/brake-switch sorted. Then it will be on to the fun stuff

Tags
angry monkey motorcycles, chopper, triumph