1940 SS Knucklehead: People's Champ 5 Build" - Page 10 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 01-26-2017, 10:33 AM   #181
supercrouton

Default Re: 1940 SS Knucklehead: People's Champ 5 Build"

Thanks for posting your work. It is so artful and well done, it makes my work work look downright pedestrian However, it is inspiring to look at, and does indeed make me want to raise my game up a level or three Keep the updates coming

Angry Monkey Motorcycles official website
supercrouton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2017, 10:45 AM   #182
joe49

I can't say on a knuckle. But on a cone shovel if you add a cooler and smaller lines there is enough restriction that at high sustained revs (85 +mph) oil return to tank will be insufficient. The engine will puke oil out the breather line as the pump will not be able to scavenge enough oil when being restricted by the small lines.
joe49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 12:14 PM   #183
newman

More videos, sorry.

I made a banjo bolt with an extra mount on top to mount my lower fender brace to.

Oil path is: Feed: Oil tank > connecting line > right chainstay > right frame bottom tube > oil pump
Return: Oil Pump > right frame bottom tube (in front of blockage) > right downtube > neck gusset tube front crossover > left downtube > left bottom tube > left chainstay > connector tube > oil tank
Vent line: Engine > seat tube > oil tank

Here's a video: https://www.instagram.com/p/BPvz8djl...en-by=ctnewman

The I made the mount itself. Here's another video with some humor added in: https://www.instagram.com/p/BP1KoY6l...en-by=ctnewman

Here are some crappy pictures of the mount:

Here is how I temporarily(?) solved my mismatched drive cogs. Turned down a pulley and mixed it with an off the shelf industrial drive cog and taper lock bushing, then added a 30mm (~1 3/16) drive belt (rated for 75 HP at SF2.) I'll try and get something better later on, but this allowed me to set the rear wheel where I needed it so I could continue working.

Nothing is really lined up in this picture.

Since the rear wheel was now located I was able to weld on the two fender mounts:

And that allowed me to roll my bike around the shop while sitting on it and making chopper sounds.

Next up I am starting to build an oil tank. I needed to make a die to roll some 1" SCH10 pipe to 7.6" CLR. I tried making one yesterday that didn't have a steel backing plate... well, that failed terribly. Try again tonight. Never built an oil tank, so this will be a fun new challenge. I probably won't post pics until it is done, it'll probably take me all week. Or longer.
newman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2017, 01:22 PM   #184
Elffors

thats great as always newman, but why not an oilfilter?
If i used the frame as oil lines id sure would use one, as debris from cutting the pipes, welds and from the manufacturing of the pipes themselfes otherwise could wind up in the engine clogging and starving something of oil.
Old 01-30-2017, 01:44 PM   #185
ericthebeard

I wouldn't be surprised if there was plans for a dirtbike style filter element engineered into the oil bag such that it was basically invisible, without needing a cartridge filter turd bolted to the bike somewhere...

But, I'm just armchair designing/engineering anyhow..
Old 01-30-2017, 01:57 PM   #186
newman

My plan is to run a temporary oil filter for the first couple hundred miles to get all the bullshit out and then take it off. Wasn't planning on building it into the oil tank. I haven't had any issues with my other bikes that don't have a filter, though.

While building the frame I was extra conscious of keeping debris from the tubes, and precleaned all the insides. I did all the tapping on small sections where I was able to clean the backside.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:14 PM   #187
KCgran

Don't forget the potential of black sugar inside your tubes from tig welding. You are a excellent welder, but nobody is perfect. If you got any weld a little to hot it's there waiting to break loose and enter your engine.just thought I would mention it.
Old 01-31-2017, 05:16 AM   #188
Mick93

keep going, smashing it out now

pushing the limits since 67
Mick93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 01:15 PM   #189
Elffors

Ok,
Old 02-06-2017, 08:29 AM   #190
newman

I don't feel like typing this AM after spending over 50 hours on this oiltank so I'll just let the pictures do the talking:

Last edited by newman; 02-06-2017 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:10 PM   #191
RidingHood

that floating bar on the oil tank -way cool and very clever. This bike is a study in great design ,thanks for taking the time out in an incredibly busy schedule to post up .cheers R
RidingHood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 05:11 PM   #192
Stix

truly next level fabrication, congrats.
Does the bar around the oil bag serve any purpose besides looking very fucking cool?
Stix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 05:33 PM   #193
Ratso

It wears a predatory smile!
Ratso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 08:21 AM   #194
newman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix View Post
truly next level fabrication, congrats.
Does the bar around the oil bag serve any purpose besides looking very fucking cool?
Strictly aesthetic. But it sort of ties into where I am going with this next post.

Stainless taillight housings that utilize some late 1940s Hudson glass lenses. The lower is the interior light, the upper is a hood side light. Before they were welded:

Then afterward. I joined them with a bar that ends at the same angle as the rod in the oil tank.

My original plan was to extend the bars right on down to the fender, but it seemed a little goofy. Sometimes the ideas in your head aren't as good in real life. I wanted to continue the line from the oil tank...

So I thought about it a little more. Made a cardboard seat profile. I think what I am going to do is not tie the sissy bar to the fender at all, but make a very rigid seat pan and run a short rod off the sissy bar and make it bolt to the side of the seat, then have the seat pan tie into the rear of the fender. I am, however, open to ideas...

Something like this:

Obviously not this simple, but just to convey the idea:

Old 02-13-2017, 08:55 AM   #195
[JP]

Sir.. I bet your head does not stop thinking for a minute.
this thing is beautiful.... your vision is out of this world. love seeing all your updates here and on IG

My 76 Shovelhead build - http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=100698

My 68 Genny Shovel - http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=128618
[JP] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 09:41 AM   #196
govmule84
Wannabe Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by newman View Post
So I thought about it a little more. Made a cardboard seat profile. I think what I am going to do is not tie the sissy bar to the fender at all, but make a very rigid seat pan and run a short rod off the sissy bar and make it bolt to the side of the seat, then have the seat pan tie into the rear of the fender. I am, however, open to ideas...

Something like this:
So this might be the one original chopper idea I have ever had (and I've never executed it), but I've always wanted to do a triangulated sissy bar. Never seen one before. Looks like you're beating me to the punch.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:47 AM   #197
newman

Quote:
Originally Posted by govmule84 View Post
So this might be the one original chopper idea I have ever had (and I've never executed it), but I've always wanted to do a triangulated sissy bar. Never seen one before. Looks like you're beating me to the punch.
Have you ever seen @snakedumpster's bike? Most rigid sissy bar I've ever seen. Though it is more of a girder than triangulated.

Old 02-13-2017, 02:14 PM   #198
govmule84
Wannabe Hipster

Nope. Never seen it. But I wanted to do something like that on a slightly shorter bar with a slightly wider base.

Cool, though.
Old 02-13-2017, 05:32 PM   #199
KCgran

Why don't you bend two bars to go out and around the fender and tie them into the upper rails just above the tubes in the oil tank? The bar would be triangulated and strong as shit, the sight line your trying to achieve would be obvious, you could put an extra mounting bung into the sides of the fender off the tubes making it stronger. To me the seat mount tube idea looks odd . Probably because it is slanted down and forward and then just stops.if you aren't looking at the bike from just the right height the line between the tank and the mount will be lost and the seat mounts will be seen singularly and I'm afraid will seem like a " bridge to no where". I'm honestly not saying I'm sure I'm right, I think you would have to be there in person and look from different angles to know for sure. And honestly my idea may give the whole back end a heavy or busy look, I don't know. Just thought I would throw it out there for you to consider.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:27 AM   #200
newman

Thanks for actually thinking about this and replying!

I agree that unless you're looking at the bike dead square the link will be lost. I think the oil bag rod exists well on its own, so if the tie in to the rear is lost, that's OK.

Someone else on an instagram comment mentioned something like that as well.

Are you suggesting a straight line that goes around the fender? My concern in that case is that it will just be too bulky and detract from the narrowness of the frame, because it will have to go outboard of the widest part of the fender.

The other option would be to run the rod straight to the fender and then follow the contour of the fender to the seatstay tube on the opposite side from the oil tank rod.

It's worth exploring. I can still tie the rod to the seat with a little mounting plate, then just continue on down to the fender. Once I get the seat pan sort of roughed in I can think about it more.