Slabside Shovelhead - Page 5 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 02-24-2017, 01:13 PM   #81
shovithead

Default Re: Slabside Shovelhead

I compared what you have, to one I have in the shop, and mine is OG, and pulled as one piece off a customers bike for a new aftermarket one. It appears, without having it in my hand, to be the same stuff. And equally nasty. But, in the last photo with the wheel on the bike, it looks like the locking tab that fits in the slot on the frame, to keep it from rotating, is not aligned with the slot in the frame. And again, maybe it is the photo, but the backing plate looks to be sitting at a small angle to the drum. Which would cause the brake shoes to drag on the back side of the drum, which it appears to be doing, in the photo with the drum off. Some of those tabs(a bent piece of approx. 1/8 inch steel, in a small loop) can be tight to fit in the slot, which is a good thing. The one on my 51, I had to tap in with a mallet, which is hell on new paint, but tight is better than loose.

72 Chevy C30 truck
73 Custom Shovel
72 XLH
70 XLH
69 XLH
68 XLCH *project*
66 FLH *Daily Rider*
66 Shovel/Pan/Pan
65 XLCH *project*
60 XLCH Doc Dytch*project*
51 FL *project*
42 UL*project*
Non Dated, S&S Panhead with 65 swingarm *project*
shovithead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2017, 01:50 PM   #82
JasonMcElroy

The plate alignment is definitely skewed as Shovit mentioned.

Look at the two red lines in the pic. One follows the brake plate, the other the lip of the drum. Look how there's no gap at top purple line and a larger gap at bottom purple line.

Jason

JasonMcElroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 01:59 PM   #83
vinlesposito

Could that be from not having the dust ring on the drum? Seems like that might keep it a little aligned. I haven't measured the spacer hole in the plate against the spacer OD to see if there's any wear.

Shovit you're right, the tab doesn't totally go into the frame stay, but that's not bc of a tight fit but bc there's no room for it to go further left, unless of course the plate is misaligned

Last edited by vinlesposito; 02-24-2017 at 04:31 PM.
vinlesposito is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2017, 06:30 PM   #84
shovithead

The dust ring does NOT hold anything in alignment, and if it does, it is either bent, warped or otherwise damaged. All it does, is keep BIG dust out of the drum by closing the gap.

Take a photo of the rear brake side frame, so we can see the anchor slot in front of the axle adjuster. And the other thing that we can't see, is how the rear axle sleeve fits into the bearing in the wheel. Plus, a shot of the brake side of the star hub. Maybe even a length of the sleeve, because there are several, in length and diameter. Yours looks right, but we are chasing details here, and details count.

The photo with the new alignment "red lines", photo, still bugs me, as to why the anchor lug it so out of line with the rest of the backing plate. I have two in the shop, one on the shelve, and one on my 51, they are both identical, except for condition. The one on the 51, fits perfectly, and the lug fits in the anchor slot square. Makes me wonder if the anchor has been altered. In the Service manual, they only show one setup, one drum, backing plate, shoes etc etc. So, if you have mismatched parts, the details really do count.

72 Chevy C30 truck
73 Custom Shovel
72 XLH
70 XLH
69 XLH
68 XLCH *project*
66 FLH *Daily Rider*
66 Shovel/Pan/Pan
65 XLCH *project*
51 FL *project*
42 UL*project*

Last edited by shovithead; 02-24-2017 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Dumbassnessity and fartgetfullness
Old 02-25-2017, 12:11 PM   #85
ncmc47

Post #80 it looks like a mid-star hub you're trying to put on a mechanical brake set up. Could that be the problem?
ncmc47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 01:20 PM   #86
shovithead

Look at post #75, and it appears that the "Star" is there. Although it is hard to see, but I think I can see the second point of the star through the axle slot, but I asked him to take some photos of some other parts, so, I am sure he will answer the question.

He needs to mount the backing plate, without the drum and wheel, to see if the lug fits in the slot, and then install the wheel/drum after the backing plate is snugged down.

Also, I am sure he knows, but the "narrow glide" front end, is actually a early shovelhead FX 33.4 front end, like the sportsters ran for years, except with the one inch stem, instead of the 7/8ths one the XL's ran. Just in case you decide to rebuild it, or buy new tubes.

72 Chevy C30 truck
73 Custom Shovel
72 XLH
70 XLH
69 XLH
68 XLCH *project*
66 FLH *Daily Rider*
66 Shovel/Pan/Pan
65 XLCH *project*
51 FL *project*
42 UL*project*
Old 02-25-2017, 05:55 PM   #87
Mick93

this will be a fun project and you have a great starting platform right there, congrats

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqbiker View Post

The old timers I talk to say leave the motor stock and reliable. Just be happy with it and if you want power get a different bike...

Advice I'd wish I'd listen to once in awhile
I hear this also, but a good, well built stroker will out perform and outlast a stock motor IMHO

pushing the limits since 67
Mick93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 12:39 PM   #88
vinlesposito

It is in fact a star hub and not a midstar. Here's a photo I took of the left side with the axle adjuster and brake slot. I haven't had a chance to take it apart for photo to take measurements or photos, so here's this for now.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:56 PM   #89
vinlesposito

With just the backing plate on, no wheel no internals, you can see that the brake tab still doesn't sit all the way in the frame slot. At this point I'm thinking the tab had to have been modified at some point. Thoughts??

Old 03-25-2017, 07:13 PM   #90
shovithead

I went and looked at mine, which is a cut frame, but the axle plates are stock, and my tab, fits farther in, and almost comes even with the outer edge of the slot. I compared your plate, to mine, and if it has been altered, it is not by much. Not as much as you brake plate sits away from the frame. I took photos, but I am a pretty good mechanic, but I suck at photos. I can do them, but it is a two hour job(ok, I lied, but I am a dumb guy, with a smart phone). But it has to be something, because yours is the first one I have seen, with that particular problem. And, when it does crop up, it is usually a spacer problem, like with the hydro units.

Do you have a way to take some measurements of the backing plate, across the axle hole, compared to the tabletop on each side?? and from three quadrants???

If it were the frame, it would stick out, like a sore thumb, to be that wacked out.

72 Chevy C30 truck
73 Custom Shovel
72 XLH
70 XLH
69 XLH
68 XLCH *project*
66 FLH *Daily Rider*
66 Shovel/Pan/Pan
65 XLCH *project*
51 FL *project*
42 UL*project*
Old 03-25-2017, 08:57 PM   #91
joe49

Do you have a spacer between the frame and backing plate?
joe49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 05:22 AM   #92
shovithead

No spacer on mine, and his should not have one either. I have the photos, and can send all he wants, through email, if he wants them.

I saw nothing stand out, that made me think that I had found the problem. I have a aftermarket brake setup, and a OEM one, and both fit exactly the same. Which is odd, because the aftermarket stuff these days, usually have to be massaged into working correctly.

I am thinking that the backing plate may be bent, or tweeked somehow. Which is why I wanted to know if he could measure the center against the edges.

A small amount of "bend" or "warpage", when run out to a distance, gains more than most people imagine. Or, if it is bent out of true, by 1/16, by the time you run a straight edge across it, and measure at the outer edge, it can be 2 or 3 16ths. Even worse, but I would think that it would be seen by the naked eye. ((I said naked, cool))

I will check to see if you have email, available. If so, I will send you my photos. If not, look up mine, and send me yours.

72 Chevy C30 truck
73 Custom Shovel
72 XLH
70 XLH
69 XLH
68 XLCH *project*
66 FLH *Daily Rider*
66 Shovel/Pan/Pan
65 XLCH *project*
51 FL *project*
42 UL*project*

Last edited by shovithead; 03-26-2017 at 05:25 AM. Reason: misappropriationofwordsunrecgonizabletohumanintelligence
Old 03-26-2017, 09:46 AM   #93
vinlesposito

Shovit, I'll send you an pm with my email

I can definitely take some measurements on a flat plate to see if the plate is bent or warped. But I really do think the tab has been modified by someone in the past. Looking at pictures of newer plates, the tab is more like a capitol C, whereas mine is more bent closed. I'll probably try to bend it back out with a little heat
Old 03-26-2017, 10:45 AM   #94
joe49

Right, not supposed to be a spacer. But in last picture backing plate seems too far from frame.
joe49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 02:10 PM   #95
shovithead

Yeah, mine fits like it should, and I have a OEM and a aftermarket one, so I took photos of each, attached, from several directions, and some with a measuring device, to show him how mine fits. Did both. The are both pretty close to being exactly the same dimentions, and fitment. So, now I am waiting on him to look and measure his.

He seems to think it is the tab, but it is not the tab, but the angle it is sitting at, which affect how the tab aligns with the slot.

72 Chevy C30 truck
73 Custom Shovel
72 XLH
70 XLH
69 XLH
68 XLCH *project*
66 FLH *Daily Rider*
66 Shovel/Pan/Pan
65 XLCH *project*
51 FL *project*
42 UL*project*
Old 04-16-2017, 01:25 PM   #96
vinlesposito

Shovithead, was gracious enough to help me out with a ton of pics and measurements that I used to verify if my backing plate was aligned correctly or crooked. The plate was flat/correct, the tab was in fact bent/modified at some point, so that solves that. Was able to get the fender and sissy bar all fabbed up with some help from a more skilled welder than I. Will post some more detailed pics, but heres how it sits as of right now

Old 04-16-2017, 04:17 PM   #97
shovithead

Keep the questions coming, and the photos too. That, is going to be a sweet piece of metal when you are done. Even if you don't polish it up to much. But, I have always liked the stockish frame bikes anyway.

72 Chevy C30 truck
73 Custom Shovel
72 XLH
70 XLH
69 XLH
68 XLCH *project*
66 FLH *Daily Rider*
66 Shovel/Pan/Pan
65 XLCH *project*
51 FL *project*
42 UL*project*
Old 04-17-2017, 10:37 AM   #98
JAWS

Yup. Cool machine. Dig a slabside shovel.

ROLLING DEATH

"In short, if you have engineering experience and are cautious and sensible they're fun and look great, if you're lazy and stupid, throw them on the bike and go for a ride you'll be dead the same day." -=JL=
JAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:46 PM   #99
4444Design

really like that rig so far although I would have stayed with the 16" rearset instead of the skinny rubber thingie you mounted right now

keep the updates comin`
Old 04-17-2017, 04:00 PM   #100
JasonMcElroy

Glad you got it sorted.

Enjoy the ride.

Jason
JasonMcElroy is offline   Reply With Quote