Slabside Shovelhead - Page 4 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 01-14-2016, 12:17 PM   #61
VonWegener

Default Re: Slabside Shovelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAWS View Post
Your local auto paint store should have a "gun" that can match paint exactly.
But before you let them use THE GUN you have to polish the oxidation off the old paint by using rubbing compound or paint cleaner. Otherwise the New paint they are mixing for you will not match the old paint after you clean it up.

VonWegener is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2016, 01:11 PM   #62
JAWS

Absolutely right Mike. I should have mentioned that. Thanks.

ROLLING DEATH

"In short, if you have engineering experience and are cautious and sensible they're fun and look great, if you're lazy and stupid, throw them on the bike and go for a ride you'll be dead the same day." -=JL=
JAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:50 AM   #63
vinlesposito

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonWegener View Post
But before you let them use THE GUN you have to polish the oxidation off the old paint by using rubbing compound or paint cleaner. Otherwise the New paint they are mixing for you will not match the old paint after you clean it up.
Found a "trick" on another board that called for diluting CLR bathroom cleaner and a scotch-brite pad. I rubbed down the whole frame and its looking much better. Red is noticeably brighter, gold striping stands out more, and some of the exposed metal spots turned from rust to "fresh" metal.

Also finished assembly of the motor, put it back in the frame and started mocking up the Paughco exhaust I bought a few months back. The tank I'm using has a very high tunnel and meets the heads before the frame. The plan is to move the front tab down, weld in a filler piece, then smooth all the edges and use some body filler to get rid of the seams.

vinlesposito is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2016, 11:17 AM   #64
JAWS

That frame and mine could be twins... Love the moulded look.

ROLLING DEATH

"In short, if you have engineering experience and are cautious and sensible they're fun and look great, if you're lazy and stupid, throw them on the bike and go for a ride you'll be dead the same day." -=JL=
JAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 08:11 AM   #65
Okie Pete

Another trick to try on the rust removal is a product called Offasa ( I spelled it wrong but that's what it sounds like ) . Its a metal prep you can get it at paint stores . A friend uses it on cars that have surface rust . It will lift the rust stains out of the paint and neutralize the rust ,but you must wax it or it will rust in time . Just soak a sponge with it and work your way across the frame . Wash off with water and repeat .
Old 01-21-2016, 08:18 AM   #66
RAGBAK

Is there a way to fit that tank so you can see that beautiful molding work on the frame underneath it?
Old 01-21-2016, 08:44 AM   #67
govmule84
Wannabe Hipster

If you dig through my last build thread, you can see that I dealt with many of the same challenges you did. If you're farting around with lacquer paint, a case of beer, soft cloths, soap, water, and wax can get you where you want to go. Just go slow and don't rush. I spent way more time than I did money, and I am happy with how things turned out. Nice and shiny, but not brand-new looking.

For metal and chrome stuff, I found copper wool did a great job cleaning things up. White vinegar diluted way down helped, and I used soap and water for a lot of cleanup too.

Lugie made a good point when I started... there's a very fine line between de-crusting and flat-out overrestoring. You kind of have to go slow and use judgement so you don't wind up with parts that look all mis-matchy.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:22 AM   #68
vinlesposito

Quote:
Originally Posted by govmule84 View Post
If you dig through my last build thread, you can see that I dealt with many of the same challenges you did. If you're farting around with lacquer paint, a case of beer, soft cloths, soap, water, and wax can get you where you want to go. Just go slow and don't rush. I spent way more time than I did money, and I am happy with how things turned out. Nice and shiny, but not brand-new looking.

For metal and chrome stuff, I found copper wool did a great job cleaning things up. White vinegar diluted way down helped, and I used soap and water for a lot of cleanup too.

Lugie made a good point when I started... there's a very fine line between de-crusting and flat-out overrestoring. You kind of have to go slow and use judgement so you don't wind up with parts that look all mis-matchy.
Thanks for the heads up Mule, somehow missed your thread and just went through it. Bike came out beautiful, congrats. Ive been slowly going over most of the spots on my frame. I was lucky enough that it was clean of any oil or grime when I got it, so mostly just surface rust and garage dust.

I think its really important (maybe I'm on a soapbox here) that this frame, or any like it, doesn't get fucked up. Ive had people suggest that I strip the paint or get it blasted and repainted in a similar style. To me, half the soul and all of the original owners vision would be gone if i did that. Ill patch up little spots and coat it with some wax to preserve the paint for as long as possible.

thanks for all the feedback so far all!
Old 01-22-2016, 03:49 PM   #69
Okie Pete

I for one am very glad you have saved the old paint . It will never be that way again. There is too much fake patina out there now.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:13 PM   #70
vinlesposito

Been a while since I last posted. Slow going as I gather parts but I was able to get th bike on the ground today. Modified the gas tank tunnel to raise the tank height, mounted the oil tank, mocking up exhaust and finished the rocker feed lines. Still need plenty of parts and time.

Last edited by vinlesposito; 03-22-2016 at 10:38 PM. Reason: parts
Old 03-21-2016, 10:37 PM   #71
beatcad

damn man! that chop is tough as nails.
please keep it short & tight(not crazy tall bars/apes)
Old 03-22-2016, 01:23 PM   #72
rhysmort

Looks lovely man! keep it up!
rhysmort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 03:14 PM   #73
60'shotrod

Nice Shovel Man, I like the looks of this one!

Nick.
60'shotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:00 PM   #74
Mike Britton

"For metal and chrome stuff, I found copper wool did a great job cleaning things up."

Where does one find this "copper wool" of which you speak?
Old 02-23-2017, 10:18 AM   #75
vinlesposito

Hey all! Haven't updated this thread in a while because progress has been slow and I didn't want to bore anyone with small details and questions. So, since the last post Ive mocked up my primary belt drive system with a BDL belt, and a heavy duty dry clutch. Also laced the original star hub to a 19" rear rim, up from a 16". I think it gives the bike a good raise in the back, and evens out the lower frame rail to the ground. Lastly, I swapped the rear cylinder exhaust pipe to an upsweep to run some cocktail shakers.
With all that being said, I am having some issued with the rear drum brake. The brake stay is barely seated in the frame slot (see picture below) and Im concerned that it will slip out under hard breaking. Also, the brake makes a very harsh scraping noise when the wheel is spinning. Not sure if its from a bad spacer, or if the hub/backing plate is warped, but its definitely a problem.
How it looks now

brake stay gap

scraping noise
Old 02-23-2017, 01:29 PM   #76
JasonMcElroy

Hard to tell from the pics, but you might have a mismatch of parts from the three different year groups for that back brake.

Noise most likely from one of two places:

1) Brake plate rubbing on lip of drum. Different year groups have different mating arrangements. '63-'72 has rounded lip on plate that covers lip of drum. Yours is earlier. Look up rear brake parts by year group and you can see differences.

2) Brake shoes dragging on inside of brake drum (NOT the braking area, the back of the drum). This would also be due to incorrect parts or mismatch.

You could likely modify what you've got and get it sorted, but you might also lay out all the parts for a pic and find out what year groups you're working with. Rear drum brake parts are generally inexpensive and could be worth your while to just run with a matching setup.

Jason

p.s. - Where in BK are you? I used to have an underground workshop at Morgan Ave & Johnson Ave. '98 to '06. Got tired of paying rent and moved to Philly to buy an industrial building.
JasonMcElroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 04:57 PM   #77
shovithead

Looks manual, not hydro, so it may just be the inner spacer between the frame and the backing plate. It needs to come closer to the frame, to allow the locking stay to fit in the slot. Not to mention the backing plate looks rounded, and all of the manual's I have seen, are more flat. But at my age, eyesight is not as good as in my youth.

72 Chevy C30 truck
73 Custom Shovel
72 XLH
70 XLH
69 XLH
68 XLCH *project*
66 FLH *Daily Rider*
66 Shovel/Pan/Pan
65 XLCH *project*
60 XLCH Doc Dytch*project*
51 FL *project*
42 UL*project*
Non Dated, S&S Panhead with 65 swingarm *project*
shovithead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 09:46 PM   #78
vinlesposito

I'll take a pic of the parts disassembled to make it a little easier to identify, but mismatched parts make sense. I thought about a bigger spacer, bc yeah it is a manual brake, but the backing plate is as close to the frame as possivle, so I don't think a longer spacer would accomplish anything. The frame is a '53, so I'm assuming I would need brake parts for that year frame to match correctly? Can I change the backing plate without having to get anew drum?
Jason I'm in Greenpoint, right across the street from McCarren park. I wish we had a warehouse to buy, but those days of Brooklyn are LONG gone. Idk if you've been back to Morgan & Johnson lately, but I reckon you'd be shocked at the difference since '06!
Old 02-23-2017, 11:21 PM   #79
JasonMcElroy

It was pretty hipstered up by time I left. When I first moved in there was a murder in the apartment above my shop by a local drug lord and we were questioned by detectives. By time I left there were young drunk ladies on fixed gear bicycles riding home at 2am listening to ipods. Shit changes fast.

I take it it doesn't look like this any longer?

My girlfriend (now wife) lived a block away from McGolrick (sp?) park in Greenpoint. Used to buy quarts of Polish beer and take our german shepherd for walks there daily.

Man, I got old fast.

Show pics of the parts and we'll help however we can.

Jason
JasonMcElroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 11:27 AM   #80
vinlesposito

Killer Pan Jason. It's basically just more of everything: skinny white kids, bars, restaurants, organic grocery stores. But in Bushwick at least a lot the the long time residents are still there, so that's cool.

Anyway, here's what I'm working with. Need to clean everything up and taper down the brake pads, but we're in mock up right now.