Slabside Shovelhead - Page 3 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 12-10-2015, 09:17 AM   #41
vinlesposito

Default Re: Slabside Shovelhead

Just starting to get back into this project. I had a last minute opportunity to move into a shared workspace about 5 blocks from my house, so that took up a good chunk of my time just setting up our work area (building shelving, table, organizing...). Yesterday I pulled the motor out of the frame and started tearing down the top end to get a look at what parts I need to order.
Overall, the motor looks pretty great. It had been fully rebuilt by the last owner, so the valve train is brand new, cylinders have been honed, jugs painted. I really just need to give the cylinders a quick pass again, as the crank arm in the rear cylinder had scratched (but not scoured, no deep cuts) the walls a bit. I still have to check end play, I'm just waiting for the shop manual to show up so I can look at the procedure and have all the numbers in front of me. These are the pistons that came with the motor, but I'm not sure if they're the correct ones. The clearance seems very tight when comparing the diameters with a caliper, but again this is my first big twin motor, so it could be fine and I'm just less informed on the subject.
Anyway, parts list is made and I'm putting together an order. I did find a brand new set of hydraulic lifters in the box that came with the bike. Are there any benefits to hydraulics compared to solids? I don't have a pushrod set for either, so if the hydros are better I'll run those.

Lifters

Heads off

Jugs off

And the obligatory engine lift shot
vinlesposito is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2015, 10:55 AM   #42
JAWS

Micrometer and snap gauges or dial bore gauge to be accurate for the jugs. Six spots in the jugs around the inside three at the top an inch or so down and three at the bottom to tell round and taper. Same for mic ing the piston. This is how I do it.

I like the lift pic.

ROLLING DEATH

"In short, if you have engineering experience and are cautious and sensible they're fun and look great, if you're lazy and stupid, throw them on the bike and go for a ride you'll be dead the same day." -=JL=
JAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 02:00 PM   #43
vinlesposito

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAWS View Post
Micrometer and snap gauges or dial bore gauge to be accurate for the jugs. Six spots in the jugs around the inside three at the top an inch or so down and three at the bottom to tell round and taper. Same for mic ing the piston. This is how I do it.
Did the snap gauge move and then mic'ed the piston. I'm getting 3.517" for the piston and 3.52" for the cylinder. Stamped on top of the piston is 020, so I'm assuming they're .020" over stock bore

Old 12-10-2015, 02:29 PM   #44
geezer

Take the pistons/cylinders to the local automotive machine shop and ask them to measure 'em for ya. Might cost ya $10. Peace of mind is priceless.
Old 12-10-2015, 02:45 PM   #45
JAWS

Top of the skirt below the oil scraper ring, radiused or stepped?

ROLLING DEATH

"In short, if you have engineering experience and are cautious and sensible they're fun and look great, if you're lazy and stupid, throw them on the bike and go for a ride you'll be dead the same day." -=JL=
Old 12-10-2015, 06:15 PM   #46
vinlesposito

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAWS View Post
Top of the skirt below the oil scraper ring, radiused or stepped?
HMM I'll have to look at it agin, not sure about that
Old 12-11-2015, 12:46 AM   #47
KELD

Looking neat. Lucky no surprises so far eh!
KELD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 08:18 AM   #48
vinlesposito

So far so good. The only thing I discovered, after doing all the proper measurements is that it is indeed an 80" top end, which has been bored over by .020" to a final bore of 3.517. I did a light hone of the cylinders, as they had already been done but then sat for years. I also received all the parts to reassemble the top end. Jaws here's a side profile of the piston rings
Old 12-16-2015, 01:46 PM   #49
geezer

Are you sure the rings are in the proper land? My brain is triggering an alarm. I am probably absolutely wrong but it just doesn't look right.
Old 12-16-2015, 02:02 PM   #50
vinlesposito

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer View Post
Are you sure the rings are in the proper land? My brain is triggering an alarm. I am probably absolutely wrong but it just doesn't look right.
Rings came in a sealed bag in the parts that I received with the motor. All the clearances check out and they look identical to any pics I've been able to find in the manual. So I'm going to say yes (*Famous last words*)
Old 12-16-2015, 05:59 PM   #51
mandrew

I like where this project is going.
As far as your hydraulic lifters go, 5 of my friends ride shovels, 3 guys have solid lifters, 2 have hydraulic (myself included) us two that run hydraulic have much less maintenance and our valve train is much less noisy. If there is any power difference between our bikes it's minor.
mandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 03:16 PM   #52
vinlesposito

Running into a bit of a snag today. Pistons are installed on the conrods, but having an impossible time getting the wrist pin locks in. I order compatible locks from J&P cycles, but they don't look like the locks that were previously in the pistons. It's worth noting that I don't know which manufacturer made these pistons. First pic is the previous locks, second is the ones I ordered, third is the groove where said ring would go

Old 12-18-2015, 05:04 PM   #53
geezer

If the hole is set up for a C-clip the cross section will be rounded. The spiral clip grooves are square in cross section.
Old 12-18-2015, 11:15 PM   #54
JAWS

Right. Some early pistons had a button and a squared c clip thing. I dont know whomade those but a buddy has them in his pan.

Clearance is what Id want to know. Specs on the pin, spec on the distance between the grooves and groove shape. That would tell what clips to use. Might be over thinking this as the original ones you have and you could probably shop for those....

ROLLING DEATH

Old 01-03-2016, 09:06 PM   #55
vinlesposito

Ended up ordering some spirolock retainers, which were originally installed when I got the pistons. They popped right in and I was able to assemble the rest of the engine no prob. That was until I realized I ordered the wrong pushrods for the solid lifters I had, and I didn't put the distributor in before installing the forward head. I'll chalk that up to mistakes of a first time Harley build. Here's how the engine sits as of now, just need to get the right p-rods and disassemble/reassemble the front head to install the dist.

Does anyone have experience with any of the paint color matching apps? I love my OG frame paint and would love to get close for the tank. This is what's on there now, it has a bit more metallic in it than portrayed in the pics

Old 01-03-2016, 09:35 PM   #56
GRHebard

man, this bike is sweet! im excited to see the progress
GRHebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 01:12 PM   #57
rhysmort

Love this!

I hold my hand up to not being the biggest Shovel fan, far more knuck pan guy, BUT I love the OG paint and the shape it's taking. RE hydro lifters, from what I understand they require less maint and preserve things a little longer. But it seems you went with solids anyway! look forward to seeing more.
rhysmort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 09:31 AM   #58
micks motors

I picked up a slabside myself this past year. I kinda wish it was a stock 74 because it is a kick only with a 93 ci S&S kit. I am 62 now and my kicking over big inch motors I'm afraid is over. My son comes over and kicks it over with no problem but he is 220 and built like an Oak tree. I could not help myself, the Devil made me do it. Guess I need a Electric start FLH. P.S love your project.
micks motors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 10:23 AM   #59
geezer

A concession for you could be a belt drive with a button. Kicking big bores has never been fun. And I'm 6'1" and pushing 300. My knees do not like it anymore. Hell kicking my big bore 2 stroke dirt bike can be painful.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:36 AM   #60
JAWS

Your local auto paint store should have a "gun" that can match paint exactly.

ROLLING DEATH