Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 02-12-2016, 09:06 PM   #81
HD48FL
Super Moderator

Default Re: '55 Panhead Yet-To-Be-Named

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthebeard View Post
I just can't figure out how to update the thread title

But every good aristocrat needs a TITLE, not just a name.

"Zodiac: The Envy of Seattle"

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonWegener View Post
I'm sure one of our moderators can help you updating the thread title. It is kinda catchy.

I updated the title, but it only does it for the first post. I'll try to get to the bottom of having it update for all the other posts. Stay tuned.
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2016, 09:08 PM   #82
ericthebeard

Default Re: '55 Panhead Yet-To-Be-Named

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD48FL View Post
I updated the title, but it only does it for the first post. I'll try to get to the bottom of having it update for all the other posts. Stay tuned.
Kickass, thanks!
Old 02-13-2016, 06:27 AM   #83
rhysmort

Default Re: Zodiac: The Envy of Seattle

Just went through the whole thread, love the work you're doing on this pan sir. I have a 52 myself very much a lane splitter chop albeit. For somebody with "minor grounding" in engineering and fab you're doing a sterling job. My Quantity surveying quals don't really do me a justice I'm all maths haha. Look forward to more progress!
rhysmort is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2016, 05:07 PM   #84
ericthebeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhysmort View Post
Just went through the whole thread, love the work you're doing on this pan sir. I have a 52 myself very much a lane splitter chop albeit. For somebody with "minor grounding" in engineering and fab you're doing a sterling job. My Quantity surveying quals don't really do me a justice I'm all maths haha. Look forward to more progress!
Thanks! I love the lanesplitter look for sure... I'm just letting this bike speak to me and it seems to not be going that way. Especially keeping the cherry duo glide frame in place...

Seriously, its pretty overwhelming that people are digging this build. I've spent years ogling build threads on this site and others, and being in a position to make something people appreciate feels pretty fucking good. Especially for a guy with a single car garage and some style.

Again, my philosophy is "give a fuck with every, single piece of the build and it'll turn out well".
Old 02-13-2016, 07:38 PM   #85
rhysmort

Quote:
Thanks! I love the lanesplitter look for sure... I'm just letting this bike speak to me and it seems to not be going that way. Especially keeping the cherry duo glide frame in place...

Seriously, its pretty overwhelming that people are digging this build. I've spent years ogling build threads on this site and others, and being in a position to make something people appreciate feels pretty fucking good. Especially for a guy with a single car garage and some style.

Again, my philosophy is "give a fuck with every, single piece of the build and it'll turn out well".
Yeah I totally dig your look, I'm very much in to the jap scene, when I got my pan from the US it's got some chrome, but I prefer the ride it in the rain jap style look. You can't go wrong with it.

No need to be so gracious, the stuff you've done looks really solid. Eagerly awaiting your next update.

Rhys
rhysmort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 09:37 PM   #86
ericthebeard

Alright, back at it. The most movement and progress has been in the tanks department. I was fairly set about a wassell style tank for the bike, but then the newly released Lowbrow narrowed splits came out. That messed up my plans, in a good way I guess. I've been waffling back and forth between the two for a while... I am about 50/50 between them style wise, but the price difference is pretty significant ($160 vs $400). That got me thinking.. I've been trying to sell the perfectly good shovelhead 5 gal fat bobs that came on the bike to no avail, so how hard is it really to just axe the pair myself?

So, like any modern material girl, I turned to the internet and asked:
http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/s...58#post1831458

Then with just enough info and confidence to be dangerous I dove in.

Lining out the split lines:
IMG_3360 by Eric Bott, on Flickr

IMG_3361 by Eric Bott, on Flickr

IMG_3362 by Eric Bott, on Flickr

IMG_3363 by Eric Bott, on Flickr

Then got to cutting (after a bath of hot water and dish soap on the insides to keep my eyebrows and fingers happy).
IMG_3363 by Eric Bott, on Flickr

IMG_3365 by Eric Bott, on Flickr

One down!

IMG_3367 by Eric Bott, on Flickr

Now I gotta make the other look the same. It would have been good to mask both off first then cut, but I was too excited.

IMG_3368 by Eric Bott, on Flickr

IMG_3370 by Eric Bott, on Flickr
Old 03-26-2016, 09:47 PM   #87
ericthebeard

Didn't really know what it would take to get the existing tank lining material out of there and was starting to get ready for a big sandblasting bill... but the wire wheel made pretty decent work out of it.

IMG_3375 by Eric Bott, on Flickr

May still get them blasted before final assembly, but this took the lion's share away.

Checking for overall symmetry and flatness.

IMG_3376 by Eric Bott, on Flickr

Trimming away lil bits o fat:

IMG_3378 by Eric Bott, on Flickr

Mating them up. The plan it to get the top ridge of the two halves lines up then temporarily tack them together (copying Supercroton's method). Then fix them to the table to make a new universal flat bottom and "tunnel" notch... Hard to explain, pics will show it when I get there.

IMG_3379 by Eric Bott, on Flickr

Checking estimated overall width of the new skinny (minus the eventual gap between them).
IMG_3381 by Eric Bott, on Flickr

Rough shape for the "tunnel" notch. I want the two halves to be ~1/4" to 1/2" apart at the top, then flair to a 2" width to make it around the neck castings and top tube and whatnot...

IMG_3385 by Eric Bott, on Flickr

Matching up the top seams:

IMG_3386 by Eric Bott, on Flickr

IMG_3387 by Eric Bott, on Flickr

Eyeballing twist in the halves. This is really not too important now because I am going to replace the factory bottom.

IMG_3388 by Eric Bott, on Flickr
Old 03-27-2016, 08:07 AM   #88
jhays79

Love the build, enjoy reading it from beginning to current status. If you weld a short bead on the inner race it usually will just tap out or fall out on it's own. I do this all the time at work. A one inch long bead usually does the trick, and saves a lot of time and pounding. The burning grease does stink though.

Keep the updates coming!

https://www.instagram.com/gypsy_nightmare/
jhays79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 01:55 PM   #89
Dan Boy

This is a great build, I love what you are doing with the pipes and that air cleaner is off the hook.

I would put a new jacket on your wishlist!

Or is that a pic of you on the bike having repaired it!?

Dan.

http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic21807_5.gif

Blown Triple Build
Dan Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 05:09 PM   #90
JAWS

Wow!!! Now I want to hack up someold tanks I got.

ROLLING DEATH

"In short, if you have engineering experience and are cautious and sensible they're fun and look great, if you're lazy and stupid, throw them on the bike and go for a ride you'll be dead the same day." -=JL=
JAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:53 PM   #91
ericthebeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhays79 View Post
Love the build, enjoy reading it from beginning to current status. If you weld a short bead on the inner race it usually will just tap out or fall out on it's own. I do this all the time at work. A one inch long bead usually does the trick, and saves a lot of time and pounding. The burning grease does stink though.

Keep the updates coming!
Thanks! I did have "fun" starting grease fires in my swingarm gallery... I probably chose the hard way but getting that bastard out without marring up the mating surface itself is reward enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Boy View Post
This is a great build, I love what you are doing with the pipes and that air cleaner is off the hook.

I would put a new jacket on your wishlist!

Or is that a pic of you on the bike having repaired it!?

Dan.
Haha, yeah I patched it with a piece of nylon spinnaker tape. Its funny, growing up my mom had her "barn jacket" (for walking out to the horse barn for morning and evening chores) which was a ratty old down overcoat covered with duct tape patches and feathers leaking out from all the other yet-to-be-patched-or-repatched-holes. Once she say my repaired jacket she noted how proud she was that I was carrying on the tradition.

But... I have a leather welding/grinding apron on the wishlist now

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAWS View Post
Wow!!! Now I want to hack up someold tanks I got.
Thanks! Ask me how inspiring I feel once I actually start in on the hard work putting them back together and making something out the mess I started...

But by all means, get chopping! Get in over your head! Its a great way to learn!
Old 03-28-2016, 01:42 PM   #92
mandrew

I like what your doing with the tanks.
I see a lot of people keeping them two separate pieces these days instead of making a one piece alien type tank. I'm curious why? Just looks or?
I dig it. just curious
mandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 02:07 PM   #93
ericthebeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandrew View Post
I like what your doing with the tanks.
I see a lot of people keeping them two separate pieces these days instead of making a one piece alien type tank. I'm curious why? Just looks or?
I dig it. just curious
I can't speak for everyone else, but for me... style. Pure style.

I'm just the kind of guy who always seems to pick the hard way
Old 03-29-2016, 06:05 AM   #94
Jesse_in_NY

Quote:
I'm just the kind of guy who always seems to pick the hard way
Nothing wrong with that. Sometimes you have to pee on the electric fence for yourself.

Loving the build and the energy you're putting into it. Can't wait to see the tanks come together. I made three before I decided I liked the one I used. Looks great man. Next installment please.
Old 03-30-2016, 01:06 PM   #95
ericthebeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_in_NY View Post
Nothing wrong with that. Sometimes you have to pee on the electric fence for yourself.
Haha, no doubt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_in_NY View Post
Loving the build and the energy you're putting into it. Can't wait to see the tanks come together. I made three before I decided I liked the one I used. Looks great man. Next installment please.
Thanks a lot... I feel like I have a TON of half-done pieces for the bike right now, but once they all start to gel things are going to pick up some steam in a really exciting way. Still have to make a large order for metal and bungs for the next round of fab work:

-new tank sides/bottoms, mounting brackets
-fender inner bracing and struts
-foot peg mounts integrated with the clutch petal and pulley cover
-spacers for the custom font axle
-rear MC mounting place and brake pedal
Old 03-30-2016, 05:13 PM   #96
raced

Looks like your struggling a little to get your cuts straight, I will give you a tip if you dont mind.

Lay the cut sides flat on your bench ,,also lay a Pencil flat on the bench as well then run the pencil around the bottom of the tanks. You will get a nice straight line to trim too
raced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 06:33 PM   #97
ericthebeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by raced View Post
Looks like your struggling a little to get your cuts straight, I will give you a tip if you dont mind.

Lay the cut sides flat on your bench ,,also lay a Pencil flat on the bench as well then run the pencil around the bottom of the tanks. You will get a nice straight line to trim too

Totally. I am planning on basically doing that (also copying Supercruton's mehod) to get the final cut lines for the bottom and inset sides.

(Image from SC's build thread: http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/s...+tanks+triumph)

I hope the top cuts are close enough to fine tune together symmetrically because I left very little meat to trim to on the initial cut... we'll see.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:56 PM   #98
Dan Boy

I have never noticed the peak running dead centre before. Do you do anything there is its good to go?

Blown Triple Build
Old 03-31-2016, 02:17 PM   #99
ericthebeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Boy View Post
I have never noticed the peak running dead centre before. Do you do anything there is its good to go?
You mean the ridge in the green tanks mated together above?

First off, that's Supercrouton's tank job. I just posted the pic for reference to my plan.

Second... they're only stuck together so they share the same plane in space for the bottom cutout. After the line was scribed they were separated and cut further, into the individual tank halves.

Hope that makes sense...
Old 03-31-2016, 02:28 PM   #100
Dan Boy

Ah, thanks Eric. Always interesting to see others work. I am way down the list when it comes to being a good fabricator!

Blown Triple Build