The Bottom Feeder. Shovel Build. - Page 12 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 09-12-2016, 02:53 AM   #221
KCgran

Default Re: The Bottom Feeder. Shovel Build.

I think you're going to have to change the name, really nice job , but it looks more like an angel fish than a catfish !!!
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2016, 02:55 AM   #222
KCgran

REALLY. Nice , you should be very proud
Old 09-12-2016, 01:38 PM   #223
Motocrash

As much as it pains me to admit it, it does look good. Can't promise it will still have the same paint next year (or next month ), but for now, I'm kinda diggin it.

Old 09-12-2016, 03:17 PM   #224
KCgran

It's interesting how "lost" the silver got with the exception of the top of the tank.
Old 09-12-2016, 03:25 PM   #225
JAWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motocrash View Post
As much as it pains me to admit it, it does look good. Can't promise it will still have the same paint next year (or next month ), but for now, I'm kinda diggin it.

ROLLING DEATH

"In short, if you have engineering experience and are cautious and sensible they're fun and look great, if you're lazy and stupid, throw them on the bike and go for a ride you'll be dead the same day." -=JL=
JAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 08:32 AM   #226
image1

Quote:
damn, that bike looks great!

i hear ya on the paint, looks great, but seems a bit busier than the rest of the bike.

Random Chopper Goodness at the link below....
http://r4yl.blogspot.com/
image1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:44 PM   #227
cajun

I think it looks outstanding. Normally I like solid color paint jobs but that one works.
cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:48 PM   #228
rhysmort

mmm mm dat ass!
rhysmort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 07:50 AM   #229
Motocrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAWS View Post
Honeymoon's over. The shit that bothered me a little is now bothering me a lot.... even when I'm not looking at it.
Old 09-17-2016, 12:00 PM   #230
JAWS

5 days.....You made it 5 days.

ROLLING DEATH

"In short, if you have engineering experience and are cautious and sensible they're fun and look great, if you're lazy and stupid, throw them on the bike and go for a ride you'll be dead the same day." -=JL=
Old 09-17-2016, 06:46 PM   #231
Motocrash

Aye... I'm proud of myself.
Old 09-17-2016, 10:02 PM   #232
JAWS

That escalated quickly.

What is the plan?

ROLLING DEATH

Old 09-18-2016, 08:32 AM   #233
Motocrash

Not sure yet, still looking at colors. I don't want to rush it and make the same mistake twice. I've narrowed it down to one or two colors but i'm not sure if I want to do it solid color, or a simple stripe or two tone on black. Whatever I do, I want it dark and subtle.
Old 09-18-2016, 09:28 AM   #234
richbob

Smart move
I think those pretty patterns have been done to death
Scales, lace ,plastic bag wiping,whatever painters are using .
Humbug twisted bike hd74 was best thing Ive seen in a while
I'll always go solid.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Rush Rush to the Yayo. Blondie

"Ultimately were all dead men"(Oliver Reed.Gladiator)
richbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 11:22 AM   #235
VonWegener

The painted tank is very trendy and you should get good money selling it. I always liked your amphibious tendencies and would love to see that done.

VonWegener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 02:09 PM   #236
M.O.Ther

I've dropped in on this thread before but for the first time I read it all the way through today. I like the bike a lot, and am looking forward to seeing it in it's post inspection form. I live at the other end of the north coast of Ohio and can empathise. Here's a couple random thoughts and questions:

You are one polishing dude. The hard work shows in the final outcome.

I have the same neck cup installation tool, cept I have an old neck cup that's been made a slip fit that I use to install the first cup so I'm only doing one at a time.

I agree that the original pipes were too long. One of my chopper "rules" is that nothing sticks out past the back wheel, so you can back up to a wall and hit nothing but tire.

I've been holding up a mini speedo in the same spot on my ongoing Shovelhead project. What kind of information did you have to give Barnett for them to make the cable? Also, what's that hole for in the fin on the back head? (I have a similar hole in the first small fin between the rocker box ends on the front head of my Shovel. There was a sensor for a head temp gauge in it when I got the motor.)

I'm using the same 11mm m/c as your first one. (but I'm also using a 10" rotor and a single caliper from a '77-'82 or so dual disc set, so the ratio is pretty good.) I did something a little different to make it match my clutch lever. details here: http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/s...rchid=14696834

I'm also at the point where you are struggling with color, but since I'm gonna do it with rattle cans outside, I'd better make up my mind pretty soon.

I also notice you're taking about the same length of time as me, (that is, if I can be where you are now 10 months from now) and making as many running changes along the way. Fun stuff.

I'm gonna keep following this.
Old 09-18-2016, 03:27 PM   #237
Motocrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by richbob View Post
Smart move
I think those pretty patterns have been done to death
Scales, lace ,plastic bag wiping,whatever painters are using .
Humbug twisted bike hd74 was best thing Ive seen in a while
I'll always go solid.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I take the blame for this one. I wanted it solid, or at least very simple and I got impatient.... live and learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonWegener View Post
The painted tank is very trendy and you should get good money selling it. I always liked your amphibious tendencies and would love to see that done.
Unfortunately, I have more time and money into the tank than the paintjob is worth. I'm going to be out some $$, but I'll be happier in the long run. It's not as impressive in person anyhow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.Ther View Post
I've been holding up a mini speedo in the same spot on my ongoing Shovelhead project. What kind of information did you have to give Barnett for them to make the cable?
I just mocked it up and measured the distance. I ordered a standard cable for a Shovelhead speedo at that length. Mine has a '71-'78 tranny end, and a 12mm speedo end. IIRC it's about 16".

Quote:
Also, what's that hole for in the fin on the back head? (I have a similar hole in the first small fin between the rocker box ends on the front head of my Shovel. There was a sensor for a head temp gauge in it when I got the motor.)
The hole in mine is also for a temp sensor. My motor came off of an FLH and I think the sensor was added at the dealership.

Quote:
I'm using the same 11mm m/c as your first one. (but I'm also using a 10" rotor and a single caliper from a '77-'82 or so dual disc set, so the ratio is pretty good.) I did something a little different to make it match my clutch lever. details here: http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/s...rchid=14696834
The caliper I'm using is too big for the 11mm master. I loved the little master but it had a spongy feel and you could see the caliper flexing. I'd love to find a caliper that would match up better with the 11mm master. I have a surplus of brake force in the front and it wouldn't hurt one bit to go with a smaller MC/caliper.
Old 09-18-2016, 03:38 PM   #238
CookieMonster

The paint job in itself is absolutely stunning, you couldn't have asked for better. I loved it when I first saw it, but the more I look at it and the more I go over this thread, the bike had more presence before the paint went on. I couldn't put my finger on why (and I always like the look of bare metal - sorry - so I'm biased...) but I've drawn the conclusion that it doesn't have the same amount of love/soul/whatever in it as the rest of the parts that make up this bike, probably because the scheme was down to the painter, not you. I wouldn't give a thought to making these comments if you were happy with it, but you're obviously not. It's beautiful, but less is more definitely applies here. The base coat looked just right to me. This is one of my favourite shovels, and I love shovels.
Old 09-18-2016, 03:52 PM   #239
KCgran

Okay. I'm gonna give you a simple trick I'm sure lots of others have done. It I made up myself. I did my version of a ghost flame paint job by taking a color called Seattle silver, ( lots of silver metallic) ,dipping the gold and red metallic out of a Pontiac burgandy color I had laying around and mixing it in and maybe some metallic from fords mineral gray color.sprayed the tins with this mixture then taped the flames off and shot everything black onyx. Then I uncovered the flames and shot everything a couple of light coats of black again . The flames, depending on the light are a greenish, bronzish, dark goldfish, brownish CATFISH color! I love it cause they are subtle to the point of people not noticing them at first and I really like the color of the flames. Thought you might be able to use it.
Old 09-18-2016, 03:58 PM   #240
KCgran

Oh, the good thing about this is you can make it as light or dark a star you want. By how many layers of black you put over it. Btw I'm not recommending ghost flames, it is just my example.

Just thinking, that tank has a silver base to it, you could spray black over it lightly, then clear it to tone it down, you may get the color you are looking for and the paint job wouldn't be a total loss. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pick of my paint job . It was the only one I had of it in my photobucket but if you look at the top /front of the tank you can just get a hint of the color I'm talking about.

Last edited by KCgran; 09-19-2016 at 04:32 AM.
KCgran is online now   Reply With Quote