Blown 45 build - Page 2 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 11-18-2012, 10:30 AM   #21
Elffors

Default Re: Swedish 45 build

So i finally got around to work on this again.
The snout is done, and shortened 40mm (1.57 inches)
Next thing is to get sprockets, bearings and seal for the drive and machine a new shaft for the shortened snout.

Last edited by Elffors; 03-13-2014 at 04:20 PM.
Elffors is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2012, 01:37 PM   #22
Elffors

This is a slow moving build..
Anyway, at last i got something done. I made an new shaft fore the snout fitted bearings and seals, and found out to my suprise that the shaft is'nt straight by 0.02-0.03mm and the darn thing is turning backwards..
With a little tinkering the internals could be turned upside down som now it turns the right way again!
Here's an mock up picture

I think this is gonna be great!

Old 12-17-2012, 03:20 PM   #23
servi53

help us old guys see with some bigger pics, I still want to see where this is going, what I can see is looking good
servi53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2012, 02:33 AM   #24
Elffors

Quote:
Originally Posted by servi53 View Post
help us old guys see with some bigger pics, I still want to see where this is going, what I can see is looking good
Now the pic is bigger!

My bad. i'm not used to shrinking pics, this one got a little too small..

Last edited by Elffors; 12-18-2012 at 03:36 AM.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:15 PM   #25
spent

Lookin real good, man.
spent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:55 PM   #26
Elffors

I must ask a stupid question...
Since we here in sweden have silly national sports like soccer and such and the americans have supercharging chevy smallblocks as theirs, i wonder do i go up in carburator size then i build a drawtrough set up or does the carburetor compensate for the added sucktion from the supercharger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spent View Post
Lookin real good, man.
Thanks!

Last edited by Elffors; 01-14-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:44 PM   #27
Johansson

Hi Jon, nice to see a build thread here of your bike!

The megaphones will be even nastier sounding with an Eaton feeding them, I can´t wait to hear the result! Here is a clip I shot last summer by the way:

http://youtu.be/6yhsxWnCbvE

Cheers!
/Anders
Johansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:34 PM   #28
skinthead

It isn't a stupid question. Now that you have asked it, I want to know the answer too.

One would think you would have to increase the size of the carb at least a small amount to allow the compressor to do its job and not be straining to breathe.

I agree with your statement about it being stupid to run one lean too. I have watched far too many guys ruin a perfectly good engine trying to suck that last 0.5hp out of it by running it just a touch leaner, and leaner, and leaner.....till they find the lockup point....
Old 01-15-2013, 12:02 AM   #29
JAWS

Good question, but the looks of the pullies you are running close to 1:1 ratio.

Here's the deal, the blower is 45 cubic inches in displacement and is only about 65-70% efficient and that's at 4-8K rpm range.

The effective cubes is around 76".
That at 100% volumetric efficiency cause it's huffed makes a needed 111 cfm @ 5000 rpm.

Now what rpm is that 45 gonna be at most of the time? That is what you carb it to.

I suspect the carb you have now will be fine to start with if it was setup for a higher compression NA 45. Less cfm will limit max rpm, jets will determine fuel.

Best is to get it to idle and use a vacuum gauge at the carb base. Set it accordingly at that range. Move on to the next rpm range out of the idle circuit and jet it there. I would suggest an O2 sensor in the exhaust on each hole for best results. Maybe with another set of test purpose exhaust headers just to set it up, then when it's dialed in you can put the intended pipes on it.

ROLLING DEATH

"In short, if you have engineering experience and are cautious and sensible they're fun and look great, if you're lazy and stupid, throw them on the bike and go for a ride you'll be dead the same day." -=JL=
JAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:54 PM   #30
Elffors

Finally i got the thumb out of my arse and actually did something with this build!

I laced up my backwheel with a 15" dropcenter rim and mounted my new tire.
I know it's probebly rubbish but this is more show than go. A flathead 45 is never ever gonna go as fast as this is gonna look

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAWS View Post
Good question, but the looks of the pullies you are running close to 1:1 ratio.

Here's the deal, the blower is 45 cubic inches in displacement and is only about 65-70% efficient and that's at 4-8K rpm range.

The effective cubes is around 76".
That at 100% volumetric efficiency cause it's huffed makes a needed 111 cfm @ 5000 rpm.

Now what rpm is that 45 gonna be at most of the time? That is what you carb it to.

I suspect the carb you have now will be fine to start with if it was setup for a higher compression NA 45. Less cfm will limit max rpm, jets will determine fuel.

Best is to get it to idle and use a vacuum gauge at the carb base. Set it accordingly at that range. Move on to the next rpm range out of the idle circuit and jet it there. I would suggest an O2 sensor in the exhaust on each hole for best results. Maybe with another set of test purpose exhaust headers just to set it up, then when it's dialed in you can put the intended pipes on it.
Thats right. ratio is 1:1.
Having done some calculations with the corky bell supercharger book, i found out thats going to be about 0.69bar boost which would result in a 50bhp+ range.
But i've learned that expectations should be set looow, because you can't bench race the dyno. it never lies and never live up to wild expectations...

I've got myself an used SU HS4 1½" inch carburator. it's about what i think is the right size.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:20 PM   #31
JAWS

Hell yeah, that will work just fine. Get her to idle and then I would get a tuning set of pipes. Maybe some purpose built ugly ones with bungs for each hole so you can stick an O2 in there and really see, not guess what's happening. You only need one of those generic digital gauges and O2 kits.

50 hp is gonna make that little monster move out good. You're not gonna spin it high enough to make enough boost to hurt it......now change the ratio on the pullies and get the huffer spinning earlier....:0

ROLLING DEATH

"In short, if you have engineering experience and are cautious and sensible they're fun and look great, if you're lazy and stupid, throw them on the bike and go for a ride you'll be dead the same day." -=JL=
Old 01-22-2013, 03:22 PM   #32
JAWS

like this..

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009AP975A/...SIN=B009AP975A

ROLLING DEATH

Old 01-22-2013, 04:26 PM   #33
servi53

Looks awesome with that HOOSIER on there. I'm running an SU on my servicar that was supposed to be good for a paperweight when it was given to me. Post up a video when you get it going, can't wait to see and hear it. keep up the good work. George
servi53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:42 PM   #34
Elffors

Quote:
Hell yeah, that will work just fine. Get her to idle and then I would get a tuning set of pipes. Maybe some purpose built ugly ones with bungs for each hole so you can stick an O2 in there and really see, not guess what's happening. You only need one of those generic digital gauges and O2 kits.

50 hp is gonna make that little monster move out good. You're not gonna spin it high enough to make enough boost to hurt it......now change the ratio on the pullies and get the huffer spinning earlier....:0
I've got one of those innovate lc1 things since my turbocharging days.

Have you ever held an japanese sportbike with 14PSI+ boost wide open on the public road, and trying to read those little afr gauges and trying to remember the reading at a certain rpm?
At the higher rpm you will be carrying the front wheel high, going at an ridiculus amount of speed............
I had enough of that, i leave the fine tuning to my dyno operator friend. Then i get my Afr on paper.
Rejet my Su, dynopull, rejet, dynopull, and so on. Til i get it just right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by servi53 View Post
Looks awesome with that HOOSIER on there. I'm running an SU on my servicar that was supposed to be good for a paperweight when it was given to me. Post up a video when you get it going, can't wait to see and hear it. keep up the good work. George
thanks! Su's can carry a lot of attitude, with their slight angle.
Uppkaftigt is the correct swedish word..
Old 01-23-2013, 02:45 PM   #35
JAWS

Nope, can't say as I've ever ridden a boosted sportbike at wide open........My balls aren't that big

ROLLING DEATH

Old 01-23-2013, 03:15 PM   #36
Elffors

Quote:
Nope, can't say as I've ever ridden a boosted sportbike at wide open........My balls aren't that big
I see that those words came out wrong.
It wasn't bragging, it was me as a youngster doing stupid things with little respect for my own life.
Now i'm too old for that shit.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:52 PM   #37
JAWS

No no, I didn't take it as that. I just know that I am dumb and my right foot is heavy....I would've tried that too when I was younger.

I can't wait to see the boosted 45"er up and running

ROLLING DEATH

Old 01-24-2013, 02:49 PM   #38
Elffors

Quote:
No no, I didn't take it as that. I just know that I am dumb and my right foot is heavy....I would've tried that too when I was younger.

I can't wait to see the boosted 45"er up and running
Then i'm not the only impatient one.
I just got a tip on an high performance oilfeedpump. Very expensive and very needed.... bugger!
Old 01-24-2013, 03:19 PM   #39
JAWS

You gonna run that through a large cooler right? I would run a finned tube type, more capacity and help cool that 45 just as good measure.

ROLLING DEATH

Old 01-24-2013, 03:26 PM   #40
JAWS

Actually I take that tube cooler back....You are a clever guy, maybe some aluminum or copper tubing tracing the frame with some small fins....Polished or not

ROLLING DEATH