Blown 45 build - Page 11 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 10-05-2013, 06:40 AM   #201
Elffors

Default Re: Blown 45 build

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAWS View Post
Wide Lobe separation angle like 112 for scavenging. Lift and such cause its forcefed isnt as crucial as duration and separation, in my experience. Although i have little experience with blown bikes, I am assuming the theory is similar......

I could be full of shit and all f'd up too, and what works for my race car shit may not for the bike world...

Take that with a grain of salt.

Anywho, cant wait for the first fire up.
The info can't be far off the mark, then the people who really know couldn't resist shedding some light on the subject.

I seem to remember that separation on my turbobike was like 106-109.
I used to know alot more about this then i was building that bike but now it seems a bit foggy.
Anyhow i will dig in to that when i have a decent runner...
Elffors is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2013, 04:05 PM   #202
JAWS

You are right about that.

I hope some with more on the ball will chime in as you get closer.

Video of it running please. Call it my Christmas present!

ROLLING DEATH

"In short, if you have engineering experience and are cautious and sensible they're fun and look great, if you're lazy and stupid, throw them on the bike and go for a ride you'll be dead the same day." -=JL=
JAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:14 AM   #203
Elffors

It's a bit slow in progress ...again.
But my tigwelder is in need for som tlc and i have spent alot of time improving on my shitty easteuropan boiler cause house heating season is comming up.

Anyway. The morris singlefire cables have showed up.
Heres some before and after pics:
Before, clean and classic look.

After a complete mess. But i will have to tidy it up when i know which cables go where.

Old 10-12-2013, 12:46 PM   #204
JAWS

Isnt it going to fire all at the same time?

If so trip folks out... One set to the left and one to the right.

ROLLING DEATH

"In short, if you have engineering experience and are cautious and sensible they're fun and look great, if you're lazy and stupid, throw them on the bike and go for a ride you'll be dead the same day." -=JL=
Old 10-13-2013, 06:08 AM   #205
Elffors

The point is to not fire them all at the same time.
If i have understood it correctly:
The black tube on the cable where it splits into two is going send the spark to the left or to right every other time.
so the only way to know is to try to fire it up, if it fires youre on, if it doesn't switch the kables on the plugs and try again.

A cooler way to tackle this dilemma is to run dual mags with only one circuit breaker knock each. and run dual plugs in the heads. But it would be expensive and complicated set up.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:44 PM   #206
JAWS

I am going to try and make a spitter setup.....I'll let you know how it goes.

I'll try it out and send you the details.

ROLLING DEATH

Old 10-16-2013, 02:50 PM   #207
Elffors

Quote:

I'm dumb as a brick. But i'll catch up eventually.

Got the brake pedal set up done today. Changed the brakelinings. Being spolied by modern machinery i assumed that they would fit. ..no

Worked on them for an hour to get to the right radius. Iwas so close so i tried to slip them into the brakehub. It was a very snug fit. unfortunately they are now stuck. ...as a brick

Forgot to drag the camera along.

Moving on to
throttle arrangement.

Jaws. someone just listed an fully restored 36 vl for old shovel chop money here on "blocket".
you really should have lived here in sweden
http://www.blocket.se/helsingborg/HA....htm?ca=16&w=3
Old 10-16-2013, 05:55 PM   #208
lilbill

those splitters have diodes in them. the voltage at the secondary side of the coil reverses polarity every other rotation. the diodes separate the spark so that on one pulse it is directed to one plug and on the next it is directed to the other plug. you only need two of those splitters if you're running dual plugs in one head. otherwise you use one splitter on one tower for both plugs and ground out the other unused tower. got it ?
Old 10-16-2013, 07:01 PM   #209
dhallilama

This build is the kinda stuff i dig about this forum... and dig about Sweden; lots of crazy ass builds there!
(shhh, don't tell my wife i said anything positive about Sweden; she's a Finn)
dhallilama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:09 PM   #210
Kaaos82

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhallilama View Post
This build is the kinda stuff i dig about this forum... and dig about Sweden; lots of crazy ass builds there!

So amazing, its like everyone from PDX is part-Finn. And everyone from Minnesota is part Swede. So cool, cant wait to go back to Portland....havent been since 2006. What a blast of a city!

I also feel an appropriate name for this bike would be "Junk Shredder".....best watch yourself on all those chains and whatnots
Kaaos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:51 PM   #211
JAWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbill View Post
those splitters have diodes in them. the voltage at the secondary side of the coil reverses polarity every other rotation. the diodes separate the spark so that on one pulse it is directed to one plug and on the next it is directed to the other plug. you only need two of those splitters if you're running dual plugs in one head. otherwise you use one splitter on one tower for both plugs and ground out the other unused tower. got it ?
Yup. Right.

My setup is going to be a bit different. Simpler.

ROLLING DEATH

Old 10-16-2013, 08:53 PM   #212
lilbill

Quote:
Yup. Right.

My setup is going to be a bit different. Simpler.
i tried making some once but couldn't source the diode. it has to switch thousands of volts. the closest thing i found was in a microwave oven.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:30 PM   #213
JAWS

Mine wont function the same either. Basically I want four plug wires from two sockets....

I could do dual coils........but I want what I want.

Just need to see if my idea on "sealing" the spark in the cable at the joint works..

Back to this here bike.

ROLLING DEATH

Old 10-16-2013, 09:45 PM   #214
dhallilama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaaos82 View Post
So amazing, its like everyone from PDX is part-Finn. And everyone from Minnesota is part Swede. So cool, cant wait to go back to Portland....havent been since 2006. What a blast of a city!

I also feel an appropriate name for this bike would be "Junk Shredder".....best watch yourself on all those chains and whatnots
my wife is all Finn, born & raised in Helsinki. i'm just part Finn.

+1 on "Junk Shredder"...
dhallilama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 08:02 AM   #215
thefrenchowl

Quote:
those splitters have diodes in them. the voltage at the secondary side of the coil reverses polarity every other rotation. the diodes separate the spark so that on one pulse it is directed to one plug and on the next it is directed to the other plug.
I can hardly trust diodes on 12 volts DC circuits... And you tell us these will withstand 40,000 vdc on reverse polarity?????

Wonder why guys go for others more expensive ways to get twin plugs if it's as easy as that...

Patrick
thefrenchowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:11 PM   #216
Elffors

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhallilama View Post
Tell her i think she's hammered out on koskenkorva and knife fighting in a sauna.

But she probably an beautyful blonde that thinks im gay since im a swede.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaaos82 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbill View Post
i tried making some once but couldn't source the diode. it has to switch thousands of volts. the closest thing i found was in a microwave oven.
Well there's a task and a half to blend in your microwave into the build so it doesn't and up in the ugly/ funny thread.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefrenchowl View Post
I can hardly trust diodes on 12 volts DC circuits... And you tell us these will withstand 40,000 vdc on reverse polarity?????

Wonder why guys go for others more expensive ways to get twin plugs if it's as easy as that...

Patrick
I was hoping that you would join in on this thread since you seem to traveled down this path before a could guide me away from down falls and dead ends.

Sadly we seem to have pissed you off.

Since i already bought the morris single fire cables i will try them out before i go for an more complicated set up.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:26 PM   #217
JAWS

I don't think we pissed him off.

We know there is a "better" way of doing the ignition and expensive. On my personal experiment I want to see if I can get all 4 to fire at the same time using one coil..

I want to see how much the 4 diminish the spark in kv on each lead. Compared to one for each or the wire setup you have. Or even better, dual ignitions. Two mags or two dizzys.

I have in mind running dual point plates in my nose cone. One for the OEM plugs and the other for the add ins. So I can play with the second spark timing. I don't want to get into it right now.

More later.

Back to your bike sir. Hopefully thefrenchowl will forgive us and come back to advise.

ROLLING DEATH

Old 10-17-2013, 04:10 PM   #218
BigDawg

Send a message via AIM to BigDawg

Quote:

A splitter to run dual fire as single? This has been covered in other magneto threads.

...and I see others made that point. Disregard.

The BDAC
BigDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 04:12 PM   #219
JAWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDawg View Post
A splitter to run dual fire as single? This has been covered in other magneto threads.
I know....I don't want to cover it here. We were just kicking it around again.

ROLLING DEATH

Old 10-17-2013, 04:18 PM   #220
BigDawg

Send a message via AIM to BigDawg

I see the MSF units as a "If it ain't broke..." I use two of them on my Shovel, as I run a single mag and dual plug heads. I tucked the hunks between the tanks and ran them tidy. They've been pretty easy going for about a year and a half now.

Prior to these units, Morris made a box that converted the signal of a mag into an external coil to run dual plugs. Talk about cumbersome. That's just more shit than a regular EI and you really don't get the simplicity or reliability of a mag...you gotta start somewhere though.

There is one of those units on eBay right now (not mine, this is for reference only).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MORRIS-MAGNE...#ht_428wt_1161

The BDAC
BigDawg is offline   Reply With Quote