First time US - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 04-12-2017, 09:54 AM   #1
C1340

Default First time US

Hi,

first of all, I don't know if I posted this in the correct sub-forum board. If so, I apologize and ask the moderator if he could move my thread to the proper forum. Thanks.

Next month starting from 17th of May, I will be travelling for the first time to the US. About one week San Francisco and one week Tacoma/Seattle.
Only for tourist purposes, and I have no plans whatsoever yet =)

-Are there any chopper related hotspots/shops/events/meetings/shows/whatever which I should attend?
-And if I would rent a bike, what is well known company I could go to?
-Any other remarks?

Thanks!
C1340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2017, 10:42 AM   #2
JAWS

Default Re: First time US

Renting a bike from the Harley dealer is a safe bet. At least over here it is very common, more common than actual purchases.

Both of those locations are beautiful. Plenty to see.

ROLLING DEATH

"In short, if you have engineering experience and are cautious and sensible they're fun and look great, if you're lazy and stupid, throw them on the bike and go for a ride you'll be dead the same day." -=JL=
JAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:00 AM   #3
C1340

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAWS View Post

Both of those locations are beautiful. Plenty to see.
Suggestions?

Old 04-12-2017, 11:38 AM   #4
supercrouton

Quote:
Originally Posted by C1340 View Post
Suggestions?
Alcatraz Island tour is an amazing piece of history in the Bay Area. Not motorcycles related, but still.

Angry Monkey Motorcycles official website
supercrouton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:00 PM   #5
VonWegener

San Francisco is not really an easy town to navigate on a bike. Too much traffic, confusing streets etc. Outside of the city (Bay Area) it is beautiful.
I would visit Spade George at his Shop Hole in the wall in Redwood City. Buy him Lunch and listen to endless stories from the 1960s. Across the bay in Dublin is Arlen Ness' Shop and he has a little museum of his bikes. Very recommended. In Vallejo is Jasin Phares shop who builds custom Springers and the Motel6 in Fremont is probably the cheapest clean place to stay in the BayArea. For food you HAVE to try Emil Villa's Bar-B-Que in Hayward, Ca where Arlen Ness had lunch every day for 30 years. Try the BabyBack Ribs.
That's about it. And it will probably rain in Seattle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Spade George.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	234298   Click image for larger version

Name:	BBQ Emil Villa.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	450.8 KB
ID:	234306   Click image for larger version

Name:	Arlen.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	234322  

Last edited by VonWegener; 04-12-2017 at 08:01 PM.
VonWegener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:02 PM   #6
Dan Boy

So even though I live in the UK, I went to San Fran once with a friend from San Jose. He also took my to the Golden Gate Bridge - Amazing.

We also went to a crazy street called Lombard Street. IT IS CRAZY - check it out.

Have fun, I am jealous!

Dan.

http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic21807_5.gif

Blown Triple Build
Dan Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:34 PM   #7
Ratso

While you're in San Francisco and environs, and if you get your hands on a rental bike promptly, you might like to go to the Lodi Cycle Bowl, an easy 85- or 95-mile freeway ride from the city, for 1/4-mile flat track racing. There's a practice day on May 19. I think practice days are more fun than race days, personally. It's cheap to get in and my bet would be that the weather will be perfect. In addition to the modern bikes, there's always (in my experience) old British and sometimes American bikes flatulating around the track.

http://www.lodicyclebowl.com/

Have fun while you're here.
Ratso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 01:40 PM   #8
supercrouton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Boy View Post
So even though I live in the UK, I went to San Fran once with a friend from San Jose. He also took my to the Golden Gate Bridge - Amazing.

We also went to a crazy street called Lombard Street. IT IS CRAZY - check it out.

Have fun, I am jealous!

Dan.
The "crookedest" street in the world. I've driven down it too.

Old 04-12-2017, 01:42 PM   #9
supercrouton

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonWegener View Post
San Francisco is not really an easy town to navigate on a bike. Too much traffic, confusing streets etc. Outside of the city (Bay Area) it is beautiful.
I would visit Spade George in Redwood City. Buy him Lunch and listen to stories from the 1960s. Across the bay in Dublin is Arlen Ness' Shop and he has a little museum of his bikes. Very recommended. In Vallejo is Jasin Phares shop who builds custom Springers and the Motel6 in Fremont is probably the cheapest clean place to stay in the BayArea. For food you HAVE to try Emil Villa's Bar-B-Que in Hayward, Ca where Arlen Ness had lunch every day for 30 years. Try the BabyBack Ribs.
That's about it. And it will probably rain in Seattle.
Thanks for those tips. We are planning a trip there soon, now we know what to go see.

Old 04-12-2017, 02:39 PM   #10
Cody Guthrie

There is a bike show on may 21st in Snohomish(about 40 miles north of seattle) There is a pretty cool auto museum in Tacoma, there is a motorcycle museum in Spanaway called Burgins motorcycle museum that has a lot of good stuff to check out. There is also a automotive swap meet in Monroe may 20-21, lots of cars to look at and parts.
Cody Guthrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:20 PM   #11
thomassuman@mac.com

there are a few independent bike rentals along the coast - you'll just need to decide where you want to start from - harley is expensive - not as good a deal as it was years ago - i rented a dresser from a guy in oregon who also had bmw touring bikes also- right out of his home garage - google harley rentals or whatever your bike choice is - shop around - crater lake in oregon is awesome and you'll see some big ass redwoods - astoria to san fran on US1 is a fantastic ride - (rain gear need up north for sure) - i forget the parallel routes inland but they are nice as well - have fun
Old 04-12-2017, 08:50 PM   #12
HD48FL
Super Moderator

Eagle Riders has many locations and is a good alternative to Harly for rentals. I rented a bike once from them and everything was smooth:

http://www.eaglerider.com
Old 04-13-2017, 12:12 AM   #13
Simon

Take a ride along Hwy 35 Skyline Ridge / Boulevard, and visit Alice's Restaurant. Great ride and beautiful scenery.

Try to avoid peak weekday traffic on any of the Bay Area roads (early morning / evening, although you can use the car pool lane...
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 11:59 AM   #14
Jimmy the saint

Rent a bike...get out of the city and take Highway 1 down the coast to Morro Bay

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/tr...ast-road-trip/
Jimmy the saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 06:43 PM   #15
reverb

...related to this: what a foreigner need to rent a bike there? except credit card of course.
Are there Triumphs in good price to rent too?

Thanks
reverb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:08 PM   #16
VonWegener

Every state has different drivers license requirements. Calif. for instance accepts German drivers licenses but not german issued international drivers licenses. Contact the rental company in the state you want to visit and ask them what is needed.
They will provide the insurance connection and the bikes are registered in the rental company's name. Easy as pie, really.
And yes I had friends use Eaglerider and they were happy too.

VonWegener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 01:05 AM   #17
C1340

Wow, thanks for all the replies so far.
Will go through all the suggestions and ideas this weekend.

Probably will come back with more questions
Old 04-14-2017, 04:18 AM   #18
govmule84
Forum Dipshit

FWIW, here's a tip.

I rent a LOT of bikes each year for my employer.

I have found that bikes rented by a dealer (rather than Eagle Rider) are generally way newer and have been crashed way less.

The dealers who rent are HUUUUUGE and really want to sell you a bike. Thus, the one they rent you is likely to be new, clean, and something you want to ride.

Eagle Rider can go both ways. Sometimes you get a nice one, but the last bikes I rented from them both had over 25k on them, and one of them was a Twin-Cam powered E-glide. It sounded like the compensator sprocket was about to launch itself through the primary at every startup. They're in the business of renting, not selling, so the bikes are on the road for a lot longer, I think.

I'd try and find a dealer and make Eagle Rider a backup option.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:25 AM   #19
C1340

I rented from Eagleriders, bike was ok but the guys over there felt like they were trying to fool me ( having a sportster ready while I reserved a Dyna). Anyways took highway 1 down south, cause in the end all routes are awesome up there! Had a clear view on the pacific and a lot of fun. Well worth the effort and money. Thanks again for the replies.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:16 AM   #20
govmule84
Forum Dipshit

PCH is a lovely road. Glad it worked out.