Jockey Journal Forum banner

Paint Question, removing clear-coat

24K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  mrwelbilt 
#1 ·
So, this is technically for my car, but I'm sure someone has this problem with their bike too. And since there are some awesome painters here I thought I'd ask. On my car the clearcoat is peeling off in some patches. I'd like to remove all the remaining clearcoat, wetsand the base coat, and re-clear it. Can that be done? What's the best way to remove clear coat without ruining the base coat? Could I just carefully sand it off?

#4 ·
No you can not save the base. The clear (is it GM, Ford or Chryl?) depending on make either deterorates, or delaminateds. You can on most cafefully take a razor blade & get it off the remainder of top surfaces. Or just DA it with 220 then 320. The clear usually will only be bad on the top surfaces out to where panels bend down, side panels should be fine.

Ideally you need to remove clear, DA (sand) top panels, finish with 320 or 400 feather edging along where it rolls over to sides, prime top affected areas, resand, shoot whole car.

I was at Dealers for 15 years, did hundreds or the corsicas, Vans, s-10's, ford trucks , etc. under warranty. Some of the GM's would be peeling at less then a year. They where more peelers, fords as well, Chryl was more of a clear coat deterorated (cant spell) & turned to chauk.

PM me if you need help, Ill give you my number.

But, ya, no easy way out. If you sand basecoat at all, you need to rebase (if a metallic)

Jeff

#8 ·
Greetings, BOZI has pretty much hit the nail on the head with his info. The only thing I would add to stripping of the clear is to try preasure washing the old clear first and try catching an edge were it has already delammed. Many times you can blow of sheets of the old clear with high water preasure. Good luck , Mike

#10 ·
ya bozi is dead on..the american car companies used a water based primer to get the epa out of there butts..but they never got the formula quite right... but on a good note they did know they were gunna lose some moeny with repaiting and having to pay out people so they just jacked up the prices a little..after convincing most of the people with those paint problems that it was acid rain or air pollution in thier area they really only had to repaint/ pay for about 10 % of the cars with that shitty primer so if you do have one of those models mentioned above... bring it down to bare metal get a nice 2k self etching primer and start over...ive stripped a complete 4 door car, roof to rockers with that problem with 2 razor blades (clear, base and primer)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.