Jockey Journal Forum banner

I'm sure its obvious but..................

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  CB550 Matt 
#1 ·
..................how the hell do you remove the speedo gear drive on my triumph unit rear wheel. It seems like it has a loose washer and a spacer? behind it. I have the right side bearing and bits and the center spacer out. Just not sure about this one. Also is the off center groove on the face of the speedo drive some sort of damage, or should if be there. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
umm mine came off when I took the drive unit off. The gear stayed inside the unit for me. Try some spray to loosen the rust or more likely old grease gunked up and solidified that is keeping it in place. I like deep creep sea foam for my hard to remove parts.

#3 ·
umm mine came off when I took the drive unit off. The gear stayed inside the unit for me. Try some spray to loosen the rust or more likely old grease gunked up and solidified that is keeping it in place. I like deep creep sea foam for my hard to remove parts.
Ok Matt,
Thats kind of the way it looks in the diagrams (being a one piece unit). Not sure what happened to mine. So you think theres nothing mechanical holding it, its just stuck with rust etc?

#4 ·
I think it may be more old grease that has been there for ages and solidified than anything else. Try putting the wheel with the tach drive side up and using something like deep creap sea foam in there.

Let it sit for a bit and then put a little more in there. Use the tube so it foams up and slowly goes down into the crevaces. It should losen the gunk up to pull off.

#5 ·
I think it may be more old grease that has been there for ages and solidified than anything else. Try putting the wheel with the tach drive side up and using something like deep creap sea foam in there.

Let it sit for a bit and then put a little more in there. Use the tube so it foams up and slowly goes down into the crevaces. It should losen the gunk up to pull off.
Thanks Matt, I used the deep creap sea foam and a puller and then it 'popped' right off. One step closer!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.