Jockey Journal Forum banner

Angry Monkey Motorcycles LONG bike Build thread

71K views 223 replies 45 participants last post by  Rob Axel 
#1 ·
Wait?! What!? A long bike from Angry Monkey Motorcycles? Say it isn't so! Yep, it is for real, and it is also a "unit" bike to boot. This client build has been started for over a year but because of frame delays, outside of my realm of control, it is only now starting in earnest.

The plan is the client flying in, then riding this puppy out to Sturgis THIS June. Ambitious? Yes. Possible? Yes. That is, IF everything else falls into place on time. All I can tell you for sure is that I'm going to give it my best effort. So buckle up and enjoy the ride :D

This is the list of basics features on this bike:
Fully polished 650 bumped to 750 Engine built by Dan at Franz and Grubb
Sugar bear 18" over springer with #2 rockers,
46* degree rake, twin down-tubes, goose-necked, full frame, by Speed Devices
16" rear wheel w/firestone vintage tire,
21" front wheel w/Speedmaster tire and small disc brake (GASP!),
vertical oil tank
AMM saddle.
The rest will have to be figured out as we go, since this is my first Choppa' :D

Here are a few of the parts collected so far...

Donor bike: "tagged" frame, which will be sold off. Titled '70 engine.

18" over Sugar Bear Springer:

OG ARD setup on the right will go on this bike. The aftermarket ARD on left was sent to client for use on one of his other Triumph bikes.

Adam of Speed Devices finishing up the frame. WOOOO-HOOOO!

See less See more
#64 · (Edited)
Quick update....

The forward control mounts are complete as is the shift linkage. Next is sorting the brake linkage. Since the forward foot controls have much less leverage than the looooong stock foot pedal, I will have an additional lever midway, to correct that. Jam nuts on the linkage and better hardware were added after these pics were taken.

While there is some asymmetry in the brackets, because of the shape of the engine, the foot rests are level and even on both the horizontal and vertical axis. I tried to keep the top/forward bars shape the the same though since they are more prominent.

#70 ·
Update! Exhaust time!

There are several things this exhaust must do:
Have general flow of original design off the head. They must NOT interfere with: ARD magneto, forward controls, riders footwear, passenger's feet/legs. They must be higher than the bottom frame rails for ease of service and ground clearance. They must be basically symmetrical left to right and follow some of the established lines of the bike's components. The cocktail shaker mufflers must match the lower frame rail's angle up to the axle plates. Whew! So, yeah, there has been some maths going on, as well as some serious head scratching.

After coming up with a design that "should" work, here is where they are so far. The next challenge will be getting the left pipe to match the right.

This pic shows how the right pipe follows the line of the shift linkage.

More updates to come.....

#72 ·
Thanks Joel!

Here is a little progress on the pipes.
The 1/4" boards are in place to keep the pipes level with, and above the bottom of the frame. They also serve well as a physical template to sketch pipe angles and cut lines.

The brake linkage is propped out of the way for the moment. The pipes had to get fully done before I made the brake linkage arms to avoid interference issues. This also allows me to have everything tuck in nice and tight together.

I use silicon bronze to fill imperfections, then file smooth. Have I mentioned how exhausting metal finishing is? Yeah. The pipe on this side needed to tuck in tight to the frame so the side stand can park more out of the way.

This shows puzle pipe piece #7 for this side. It will kick up the cocktail shakers to the same angle as the lower frame rails that go up to the axle plates.

#74 · (Edited)
HAHA! You are too kind. Honestly, this whole LONG bike/forward controls/mufflers/ARD thing is a bit weird to me :D Good news though, the client decided to go with the prism tank and a LOT lower risers. So it may be more "digger" than "chopper" when it's all done.

#76 ·
That's not a stupid question. The pipes are mild steel and are mostly fused, steel filler was only used in a few places. I use SB as filler on low spots (non structural) because it goes on at a lower temp than mild steel or stainless, while still bonding well with the parent metal. The lower temp reduces warp/shrink when you have to do a bit of clean-up/fill. The pipes will be ceramic coated when they are done. SB is also handy on old and new gas tanks to address leaks/pinholes for the same reason: lower heat = reduced/eliminated warp/shrink.

#80 ·
Small update. I pushed this thing outside to clean up and to check the lines. right side pipes took 4 pieces, left side 7 pieces. Also the prism tank and much lower risers look better to me.

Next will be metal-finishing the right pipe and securing the both pipes to the frame at the front and middle. The cocktail shakers have rear mounts on but not quite finished. After that will be getting the rear brake linkage/pivot/brake-switch sorted. Then it will be on to the fun stuff :D

#86 ·
Thanks! Brant is definitely the long bike guy around here :D I'm sure he'll chime in shortly.

I didn't doubt you for a second Dan, but I just couldn't quite visualise an Angry Monkey longbike. And prism tanks, well they work sometimes. Now it's a roller...wow, really great lines and the tank looks spot on - I can't wait to see how this turns out now!
Somehow I hope there won't be a sissy bar on this particular bike, but if that's the way you're going I'm sure you'll change my mind.
Ha! Being my first long bike, I find myself doubting almost everything ;) This client ride ALOT, and much of the time 2-up, so a sissy bar will be going on. Just a small one though.

I like it alot. Love the prism tank, give it just the right attitude.
Lester
Thanks Lester. It looks more "digger" than "choppa" with that tank. Obviously The lower the better to my eye.

Just throwing this out there, but to my eye I think it would flow a lot better if the tank profile was dropped over the frame so that the bottom was level and the lower front angle matched the down tubes. Of course, then you'd lose a lot of capacity and have to move the filler, probable need cross over tube and vent also. Maybe 2 piece prism tank with the tops flush with the top rail????
Haha! Well, to my eye everything about this bike looks odd, but I think that's mostly because I usually build tightly packaged short and low bikes :D. This guy does a ton of long haul riding and this tank is already short on capacity. It has the highest tunnel of any prism, so that's as low as it is going to get. Some of the space between the tank and engine will fill with other stuff, but it is a long bike, so there is going to be some negative space in that area.

I like it. I think the tank flows well with the rest of the bike.
Thanks for the feedback, I need all I can get with this one :)

#82 ·
I didn't doubt you for a second Dan, but I just couldn't quite visualise an Angry Monkey longbike. And prism tanks, well they work sometimes. Now it's a roller...wow, really great lines and the tank looks spot on - I can't wait to see how this turns out now!

Somehow I hope there won't be a sissy bar on this particular bike, but if that's the way you're going I'm sure you'll change my mind.

#84 ·
Just throwing this out there, but to my eye I think it would flow a lot better if the tank profile was dropped over the frame so that the bottom was level and the lower front angle matched the down tubes. Of course, then you'd lose a lot of capacity and have to move the filler, probable need cross over tube and vent also. Maybe 2 piece prism tank with the tops flush with the top rail????

#87 ·
Oh C'mon Dan... you know you are having fun. I mean just look at it. Its perfect!!!

Wait til you ride it at speed. Oh am I jealous. Im gonna say it... In my opinion this is the best trump long bike Ive seen. No offense to the others out there... this one fits as my favorite.

Now dont go gettin a big head there Dan. My opinion is not worth much. Take it and two pennies and you will have 2 cents.

#88 · (Edited)
Looking good!

I used a prism tank on my Triumph build, but I didn't like the way the rear of the tank tapered into the frame. Ended up raising the rear and chopping off the end to flow better with the front of the seat. Fit the lines of the frame better too. Just an idea!

#89 · (Edited)
Update! Progress has been slow due to a death in the family and a dirt bike related torn calf muscle. But now we are back on track. The oil tank is built and mounted. I used blind threaded bungs in the oil tank to reduce the overall unit width while maintaining full thread engagement. Both rear motor mounts will get their excess fat trimmed off for a cleaner look as well as a few gussets to stiffen them both up.

This aftermarket motor mount was flexing when the brake was applied so it got a couple gussets near the mounting bolts to stiffen it up.

#95 · (Edited)

That's right! If you want to meet up and/or see one of our bikes, we will be in Austin TX for the Hand built show in just a couple weeks. Shoot me a PM if you plan to attend.

This is the bike that will be in the show...

Now back to our regularly scheduled program :D

This is really coming along nicely. Did you use bends, or did you start with exhaust donuts?
Thanks! I used J-bends for this exhaust.

#101 ·
Thanks Rob! It will be a first for me, but it looks like a good time.

What part of ms are in?
Tupelo

Dan,
That bike looks kick ass. Who makes the Springer on that bike and is it -2 under or ?
It is a Euro-made, stock length, knuckle springer from Visionary.

stellar work as always dan, thumbs up!
Granted, it's not as awesome as your boosted flatty, but thanks! :D

go long or go home!!!! looking good, but aren't the cool guys on here anti long bike? or was that last week?
Hahaha! I don't know what those guys are into these days. The only thing I know for sure is I'm not cool enough to be in that club. :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.