Jockey Journal Forum banner

fx shovelhead starter solenoid problem

19K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  jumpinFX 
#1 ·
i,am working on a 1984 fx shovelhead and the starter stays going after you let off the button i have a new battery new solenoid here is the thing i have a new aftermarket primary on it and i think it maybe twisting things up anyone had this problem ?

#5 ·
Thats funny you shouyld mention that. I have a1981 FLH that has done that for the last 3 years. I replaced the relay and that worked for awhile, but then it would happen again. After awhile It wouldnt work at all, just clunk when I hit the buttom. I have a kicker so I just forgot about it and kicked it. Every now and again Id try it and it never worked.

#6 ·
Oops sorry.
So this summer, I broke a final drive belt,(Karata conversion kit) I had to pull the starter to remove the inner primary so I checked it all out. I cleaned everything up, feilds were good, but the windings didint test out very good. So being broke, I put it back in to fill the hole and it did work for a time or two the quit again.
On a side note here, did have a small area of battery corrosion on my battery cover, I run an FX style battery on my FL, on the front area in the little decorative cutaways. Like the acid was seeping, but I couldnt finad anything. I checked everywhere for contact or something. Never did find anything.
Now get this.....
About a month ago, my turn signal was not working, it was intermitant... no you smart asses, Im mean it would work and then it would not work...I mean...any way.
I pulled the seta and I have a terminal block that all the wiring goes through. Its the blade type connectors with the blades in the block and the wiring has the plugs. The only place on the bike that has connectors allothers are soldered. I found why the signal wasnt working, the plug wasnt pushed in.

#7 ·
Damnit did it again'
So I pushed in the plug, the signal started working, the starter has worked perfect ever since and hasent stuck on or blown any relays, and I havent had any more corrosion on the battery cover.
So I guess never rule anything out, check all the wiring, even shit that has nothing to do with it.

#8 ·
I have an 81 FX with the same problem. I disconnected the starter relay cleaned it up put back on and it works. Mine would kick the starter on till I got the battery disconnected or it melted the positive cable. I installed a kicker and try to use that as much as possible. trying to hold off on a rebuild.

#9 · (Edited)
My 76 FX solenoid got hung up the other day and almost melted before I could get it disconnected. I just finished replacing everything a few months ago after years of the starter not working and worked decent a few times. I am convinced from all the FX starter problems I have read about that they should be kick only since the starters don't ever seem to work real good. More trouble than they are worth!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.