Who here is the triumph triple master? - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 05-05-2012, 12:54 AM   #1
skinthead

Default Who here is the triumph triple master?

I am going to be looking for solid experience and advice in the near future on one of these things. it is another of the Dragon bikes, and this one is intended to do the Stampede at some point.
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2012, 09:02 AM   #2
bongoman

Default Re: Who here is the triumph triple master?

I am far from a master, but I am coming towards the end of a 4 yr. build of a 1974 T150v. Had some encouragement from Dragon along the way. Here is my build thread.

http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/s...eferrerid=5971

I'd also suggest you hook up with the experts at http://www.triplesonline.com/

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

The Purple Piper plays his tune, the choir softly sing, three lullabies in an ancient tongue, in the court of the Crimson King.....KC
bongoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:15 AM   #3
gearhead1951

You should also check wit John Healy at www.britbike.com
gearhead1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:52 AM   #4
Jeff L

Im putting one together.Well, its a BSA Rocket3.But Im nooo expert.
Jeff L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:59 AM   #5
takin-care-of-business

I popped my motor rebuilding cherry on a 68 Trumpet y e a r s ago. The triumph and BSA's are a great engine to learn on.

There's a crapload of knowledgable folks on here that would be happy to give you tips along the way. Don't be afraid to ask questions and for God's sake, have fun.

rip Dragon....
takin-care-of-business is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:00 PM   #6
skinthead

the twins are not so bad to rebuild. I have done a few, both BSA and Triumph. the triples, well, as I understand it they have some idiosyncrasies that leave them in a world all their own.....hence the scouting help before I even drag it out of mothballs.....

Having ridden a nicely restored Rocket 3, I know what these things feel and sound like, and it is nothing short of AWESOME when they are right. I just want to make sure I put this thing together RIGHT!

Doc
Old 05-05-2012, 03:30 PM   #7
Jeff L

This motor is the first in a very long time for me.I have the lower end together now, & so far havent found anything to be dificult.Its when I get to the electtics that Ill be fumbling around.
Jeff L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:44 AM   #8
skinner

Send a message via MSN to skinner

If your in Jersey then Id go to Britech and talk to Jay anything and everything you need to know
skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:53 AM   #9
lilbill

i was a dealer mech in 73 and worked on a few new ones. it takes 3 different special factory tools to set up the clutch and primary properly if i remember right. there is a centering jig for assembling the clutch pack on the bench, then there is a tool for installing the clutch diaphram spring and finally an alignment gauge for lining up the primary chain.
the motor is pretty much like a twin but with an extra cylinder set. the clutch i believe came from a morris mini. big d in dallas used to carry a shit load of performance parts for them.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:23 AM   #10
Swan

Mitch Klempf knows everything about Triumph Triples. https://www.klempfsbritishparts.com/.../klempf-1.html
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:25 AM   #11
skinthead

the only thing I am missing from the engine that I can't seem to locate on the cheap is a rack of the original carbs. That seems to be the needle in the haystack.

While I had considered EFI for this one, as well as all of my old carbed bitches, I would like to locate a rack of the carbs so I can at least verify ir runs and can set things like timing and such before starting the conversion.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:06 PM   #12
Glider

About those carbs, I always had the feeling with my Triple that the bike's poor fuel economy could be improved if one ditched the stock carbs and used a single CV carb. It might be a lot cheaper than sourcing a set of stockers with linkage, etc. Perhaps a side-draft setup of some sort?
Old 05-08-2012, 10:21 PM   #13
skinthead

I only need the carbs long enough to run the motor in, and get things straight, like timing. Once I have it running it will likely get the megasquirt treatment anyway.

Port EFI is easier to set up than carbs, and each cylinder gets exactly what it wants. EFI is fuel neutral, so if it will burn in the cylinder the injectors don't care. Ethanol eats jets, corrodes jets, makes shit out of old carbs in short order, and is just generally a pain in the ass. Ethanol doesn't have this effect on injectors....at least not good ones, and I am shooting for reliability and consistency.

Just have to do some math to figure out if I am gonna be able to find a rack of throttle bodies that won't be so oversize that it affects low speed riding and throttle response. If I have to run a single throttle body that is fine too....
Old 05-09-2012, 04:04 AM   #14
Glider

FI sounds like a great idea for the Triple, but I've been running ethanol-laced gas in my Triumphs and BSAs for years now with no problems whatsoever.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:20 AM   #15
skinthead

When I pull the carbs off my 04 Bonnie I will post pics of what that crap does to jets. the bike has been sitting with electrical issues for a few months now while I work on another that is to get sold. jets in the rack of mics I have been working on were black as tar when I pulled the rack apart. In my misspent youth I don't recall non-ethanol gas doing this to jets.......it even smells funny...puking nasty....

Anyway, I am on the hunt for a rack of amals so I can at least dial the thing in. That bike is some time off to get to, so I am not in a big hurry. They would be helpful in getting the engine running prior to the EFI, but I think I can get away without having them in the event I can't locate them.