Triumph 67 front end on a 71 frame? - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > New? Introduce yourself here!

Old 04-13-2012, 04:54 AM   #1
Demiros71

Default Triumph 67 front end on a 71 frame?

Hey Everyone,

Happy to have joined the Jockey Journal as I've been visiting this site for years now. I recently bought a Triumph hardtail chopper from the States and when it arrived here in Sydney Australia it turned out the front end was a mix and match of Triumph 64-67 trees and legs, 1 inch handlebar, 1 inch clutch/brake levers and a Japanese front wheel. After pulling it apart I discovered the bottom tree was bent so I replaced it with a new one and new fork legs from Franks Forks. I also had a Single Leading shoe drum hub laced to a 21 inch Harley rim to replace the Jap item. The frame appears to be an aftermarket job as it has no numbers, different looking gusset and additional rake, the engine is a 73 750 5 speed. Now here's my problem...I want to use tapered bearings but for the life of me cannot find a bearing with the right internal and outside diameter to fit the neck. The neck it appears is a 71 up OIF type as the internal diameter measures 45.24mm. The stem on my triple trees measures about 25.4mm (1 inch) at the top and about 28.25mm at the bottom. The tapered bearing kits for the 71 up Triumph has the correct size race but smaller I.D (19mm). I've tried all the bearing shops here in Oz and online but just can't seem to find a tapered bearing kit to fit the neck and stem. I basically need a top bearing that measures 45.24mm X 25.4mm X 13 and a bottom one that measures 45.24 X 28.25 X 13. I would really appreciate some direction with this problem. Thanks
Demiros71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2012, 08:00 AM   #2
bullittprod

Default Re: Triumph 67 front end on a 71 frame?

welcome mate , there is tons of good info around here . if your search results dont get you what you want then try calling lowbrow customs.....or steadfast cycles.
good luck.
bullittprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:13 AM   #3
oliver bros garage

Greetings from central Iowa!
oliver bros garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:16 PM   #4
bamabobber

Welcome to the journal, sorry I don't have the knowledge to help. Sounds like a montage frontend for sure!
bamabobber is offline   Reply With Quote