Ironhead la mota-cicleta - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 04-13-2012, 10:01 AM   #1
terd ferguson

Default Ironhead la mota-cicleta

I'm still in the collecting parts and mockup phase. But I started with this...

'74 Ironhead project missing some stuff. I got it a couple of weeks ago from a buddy in my car club. Basically what you see there. In the last couple of weeks, I got a Goodyear rear tire, alien tank, and an old Paughco front end. Now it looks like this...

The fender looks goofy, it's not mounted, I just slid it in there to see if I like it. I still need a 21" hoop to lace to a hub I have or a complete wheel and tire, throttle and clutch controls, headlight and tailight, and handlebars (along with a lot of this and that nuts and bolts and fabricating mounts and pieces). I am building handlebars currently.

I don't know how fast this will progress as most of my money has been going into completing my '55 chevy pickup. But there's not much left to get for the bike and I have some stuff to trade.

Anyway, I'll probably ask a bunch of dumb questions. I've had a couple of Triumphs and a bunch of japanese bikes, but this is my first American bike. Thanks for putting up with me.
"Helix was a wicked concert. Fuck, I sold a lot of dope at that concert. I mean, they had good lyrics like, 'Gimme an R-O-C-K', and the crowd yells "ROCK" really loud. Now that's a fuckin' concert! Rush just don't do stuff like that. They got these lyrics about how trees are talking to each other and how different sides of your brain works, or outerspace bullshit." -Ricky

IG @high_style_neat_chopper_stuff
@terdferguson13
terd ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2012, 10:05 AM   #2
xmlc216x

Default Re: Ironhead la mota-cicleta

Looks good Terd. Been following your truck build on the HAMB, so I can't wait to see how your bike build turns out!
Old 04-13-2012, 10:13 AM   #3
terd ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmlc216x View Post
Looks good Terd. Been following your truck build on the HAMB, so I can't wait to see how your bike build turns out!
Thanks dude. The plan is to get this together and riding pretty soon. Then probably take it apart for paint and some chrome when it gets cold again. Besides, I need something to practice shooting candy on before I try it on my pickup.
"Helix was a wicked concert. Fuck, I sold a lot of dope at that concert. I mean, they had good lyrics like, 'Gimme an R-O-C-K', and the crowd yells "ROCK" really loud. Now that's a fuckin' concert! Rush just don't do stuff like that. They got these lyrics about how trees are talking to each other and how different sides of your brain works, or outerspace bullshit." -Ricky

@terdferguson13
Old 04-13-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
Kickstarter

Thats just going to distract you from the truck! What parts do you need, I might have them.

http://vintagepureheaven.blogspot.com/
Kickstarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:01 PM   #5
xmlc216x

Quote:
Originally Posted by terd ferguson View Post
Thanks dude. The plan is to get this together and riding pretty soon. Then probably take it apart for paint and some chrome when it gets cold again. Besides, I need something to practice shooting candy on before I try it on my pickup.
Ha that was my plan too... but it always seems to take so much longer than originally planned. My '74 xlh has been keeping me away from my '62 chevy pickup for 4 months now haha. Check it out here if you want:
http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=95986
Old 04-13-2012, 02:12 PM   #6
terd ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickstarter View Post
Thats just going to distract you from the truck! What parts do you need, I might have them.
I won't get distracted from the pickup. I have everything I need to finish except final paint and vinyl for upholstery. I just need time to finish, and it'll take a little while. Maybe paint by fall or next spring at the latest. Upholstery and interior after that and it's done. Some more chrome work between now and then as well.

Besides collecting parts, the bike shouldn't take more than a month's worth of weekends to slap together. Ah, let's see...I still need...

21" hoop to lace to my wargasser spool hub or 21" spool wheel assembled
21" Avon or equivalent tire
1" throttle, prefer very minimal
1" clutch lever, again, minimal
Cables for above
cool headlight
'74 xl top engine mount
1" bearings and associated parts for the neck (I have an empty neck and just the springer and stem bolt)

The rest of the stuff I'm missing I'll make, like handlebars, pipes, brackets, and brickabrack. I probably need some more stuff here and there, but I won't figure that out til I get deeper into actual assembly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmlc216x
Ha that was my plan too... but it always seems to take so much longer than originally planned. My '74 xlh has been keeping me away from my '62 chevy pickup for 4 months now haha. Check it out here if you want:
Yours is cool. I love old chrome. I'm not in a big hurry to finish my pickup because I can drive it while I'm working on it. I'm doing it as quick as I can without sacrificing quality, but it never seems quite fast enough, lol.

The bike, on the other hand, would be nice to get going pretty soon. The engine is mounted except for the top engine mount. Everything else is just mocked up. I'm going to start getting things mounted proper while I'm waiting on the remaining parts.

@terdferguson13
Old 04-13-2012, 02:16 PM   #7
terd ferguson

kickstarter, if you're coming to the Charlotte Autofair next weekend, be sure to make it to my car club's (Iron Lords) party Saturday night. We'll have bbq and sodas and a killer band. Loose Lugnuts plays older country, they played the Smokeout.

Any and everybody else is invited too. Saturday April 21st, 606 Church St. Concord, NC 6 p.m..

@terdferguson13
Old 04-15-2012, 04:28 PM   #8
Kickstarter

I should be at the swap on Saturday so I'll do my best to stop by. I may have a tire and a headlight, I'll check tommorrow and let you know.

http://vintagepureheaven.blogspot.com/
Kickstarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:16 PM   #9
terd ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickstarter View Post
I should be at the swap on Saturday so I'll do my best to stop by. I may have a tire and a headlight, I'll check tommorrow and let you know.
Sweet. And thanks! Party starts at 6 but we'll be there way earlier. The last couple of years, we've had about 50 hot rods and customs show up. A few bikes too, lol.

@terdferguson13
Old 04-20-2012, 08:02 PM   #10
terd ferguson

I made some trades. I got the aforementioned wargasser hub, a 21" hoop, and hopefully a 21" tire, and pending trade for a throttle. I also started making some bars. Not sure if I'm totally happy with them yet, they need some tweaking.

I still need some spokes to lace the front rim to the hub, clutch lever, some different risers, throttle and clutch cables, headlight, tail light, wiring, and assorted hardware and nuts/bolts/brackets. I'll probably wind up with a different seat too.

But here's where it's at as of now.

@terdferguson13
Old 04-20-2012, 08:28 PM   #11
Mycakers

I love where this is going.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:38 PM   #12
Mycakers

Let's see those bars! I just got done with mine and I'm not too sure if I'm gonna run them or sell them.
http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/...ers29/Bars.jpg
Old 04-20-2012, 08:46 PM   #13
terd ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycakers View Post
Let's see those bars! I just got done with mine and I'm not too sure if I'm gonna run them or sell them.
http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/...ers29/Bars.jpg
Those bars are cool!

They're just tacked together for now. Mine look crooked cause one bar is longer than the other, haha. I'm waiting on the throttle and grips to go on to trim them as narrow as possible. I also had to split them because I made them at home and the bike was at my shop. They were too narrow for the risers, lol.

@terdferguson13
Old 04-21-2012, 09:03 AM   #14
bustedlifter

^^^^^^^nooooo!!!!!!!!^^^^^^^^^
Old 04-21-2012, 09:38 AM   #15
terd ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustedlifter View Post
^^^^^^^nooooo!!!!!!!!^^^^^^^^^
The more I look at them, the less I like them, lol. I think I'm going to try some 12" narrow apes.

@terdferguson13
Old 04-21-2012, 11:02 AM   #16
bustedlifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by terd ferguson View Post
The more I look at them, the less I like them, lol. I think I'm going to try some 12" narrow apes.
Just my opinion but I think bars with hard angles take away from the flow of the bike. Short z bars might be the exception in certain applications. I like the Freebirds avatar.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:49 PM   #17
[JP]

love how the bike is going! very cool!

I bet the springers on the front are cheaper over there than here in UK.. would love to get some on mine but the price is sooooooooooo much!

My 76 Shovelhead build - http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=100698

My 68 Genny Shovel - http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=128618
[JP] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:50 PM   #18
terd ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustedlifter View Post
Just my opinion but I think bars with hard angles take away from the flow of the bike. Short z bars might be the exception in certain applications. I like the Freebirds avatar.
I'm pretty sure I agree now that I've seen them on there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msaXpIrrOAY

R.I.P. Bam Bam

@terdferguson13
Old 04-21-2012, 01:44 PM   #19
Kaaos82

Must be a condition....my 64 sporty has been keeping me from my 66 Chevy C10 and vice versa for some time now...ha ha
Kaaos82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:55 AM   #20
terd ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaaos82 View Post
Must be a condition....my 64 sporty has been keeping me from my 66 Chevy C10 and vice versa for some time now...ha ha
Haha, yeah, I try not to let one get in the way of the other.

Kickstarter was cool enough to bring me a tire. So I got that going for me. One less part to look for. Once I can get the hoop in the mail and get that laced up and get the tire on, I can really get down to the business of getting this thing set up and put together.

@terdferguson13