Vintage Fuel Drag Bikes - Page 57 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 10-11-2011, 09:55 PM   #1121
Calkins

Send a message via MSN to Calkins Send a message via Yahoo to Calkins Send a message via Skype™ to Calkins
Default Re: Vintage Fuel Drag Bikes

Thanks for posting that Joe! Wayne is a cool cat. I hope his group really takes off this coming season.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2011, 10:48 PM   #1122
Unkl Ian

Location: Just past the corner of Hell and The Twilight Zone.
Thumbs up Re: Vintage Fuel Drag Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calkins View Post
I hope his group really takes off this coming season.

Yes, it's an interesting concept.

FlyingEyeballs.net
Unkl Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:37 AM   #1123
frank spittle

NEW BOOK BEING PUBLISHED ON MOTORCYCLE DRAG RACING.

I have been waiting a long time to make this announcement but I finally have permission to do so. John Stein, an avid motorcyclist and drag bike collector, has written without question the greatest book on American motorcycle drag racing ever. This has been a long time in the making for him. He has researched the very beginning and interviewed many of the early pioneers. I have been priviledged to view this remarkable book as it has progressed over the last several years. If you have been following this thread it is a "must have" book for you because much of the information in this thread is in it. John has promised he will join us and have information about the book. I am looking forward to him telling us stories about researching information for it.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:23 PM   #1124
Bocephus

The billet head on Elmers bikes were made by Larry McCormick , and ported by a couple of different guys, for along time he used chromed stock covers, then the guys at ART made him some really nice billet ones.

Last edited by Bocephus; 10-14-2011 at 08:36 PM.
Bocephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 04:40 PM   #1125
Keith Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank spittle View Post
NEW BOOK BEING PUBLISHED ON MOTORCYCLE DRAG RACING.

I have been waiting a long time to make this announcement but I finally have permission to do so. John Stein, an avid motorcyclist and drag bike collector, has written without question the greatest book on American motorcycle drag racing ever. This has been a long time in the making for him. He has researched the very beginning and interviewed many of the early pioneers. I have been priviledged to view this remarkable book as it has progressed over the last several years. If you have been following this thread it is a "must have" book for you because much of the information in this thread is in it. John has promised he will join us and have information about the book. I am looking forward to him telling us stories about researching information for it.
Glad to hear that John will be contributing to the forum Frank. I am sure he will have quite a few tales to add to our knowledge of the racing characters in the past, which will complement those already imparted by the likes of yourself and Granddaddy Joe.

I would echo your comments about John's excellent book, which is a must have for all bike fans.
For more information, visit his website: http://gearheadpublishing.com/
Keith Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:14 AM   #1126
skinner

Send a message via MSN to skinner

Yes, great book. Stein also has a good collection of drag bikes. Makes me feel that this is a good time to try and have vintage races. Alot more folks getting involved and working on there old machines. The M&H tire NVMDRA is selling has had a good response,France,England,New Zealand,Australia and of course the USA so far all with the intention to be run on bikes most of them old fuel bikes. cool, a running museum of sorts
skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:59 AM   #1127
hlbc2011
Banned

cool
hlbc2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:11 PM   #1128
Old Codger

I just finished going through Drag Bike Racing in Britian by Keith Lee. All I can say is EXCELLENT! I have been around bikes all my life and I can't believe some of the engineering I see on these bikes. It makes me wonder what happened here in the US. Did the sanctioning bodies restrict a lot of experimentation?
Keith, I see many of the supercharged Triumphs had some sort of head supports. These are going from the top of the head to the block. Do you have any close up pics? I'm just curious of the set up.
Thanks for putting out such an excellent book.
Old Codger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:28 PM   #1129
Keith Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Codger View Post
I just finished going through Drag Bike Racing in Britian by Keith Lee. All I can say is EXCELLENT! I have been around bikes all my life and I can't believe some of the engineering I see on these bikes. It makes me wonder what happened here in the US. Did the sanctioning bodies restrict a lot of experimentation?
Keith, I see many of the supercharged Triumphs had some sort of head supports. These are going from the top of the head to the block. Do you have any close up pics? I'm just curious of the set up.
Thanks for putting out such an excellent book.
Thanks for the kind comments about the book. It was a great time to be involved in racing back then. Although our capacity limits were often lower than that allowed in the US, car engines were permitted. Keep in mind that the average British car was of tiny capacity compared to your cars! There were some real innovators around, who were not afraid to push the boundaries - mainly because nobody knew what the limits were. Happily most lived to tell their tales, as there was not a single fatality for many years over here, apart from the sad death of Ian Aswell in the late sixties on a kilometre long sprint course at Brighton.

With regard to the head supports, they were a sort of belt and braces approach to try and keep all parts of the motor in the proper place. Crankcases had strengthening welded in to them, and the head was firmly locked down to it using a system of bolts and brackets. Sadly, nitro is unforgiving, and engines often did not last very long. Luckily the much favoured Triumph motor was cheap in those days. I will try and find a good close-up shot to post for you to see how it all worked.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:00 PM   #1130
Unkl Ian

Location: Just past the corner of Hell and The Twilight Zone.
Thumbs up Re: Vintage Fuel Drag Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Lee View Post
I will try and find a good close-up shot to post for you to see how it all worked.

Excellent.

FlyingEyeballs.net
Unkl Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:59 PM   #1131
Dean Lowe

This video is drag racing at LIONS in the early 60's. I'm posting it here because there are some real good bike shots along with the cars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=S4ckKB7UzLM
Dean Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:43 PM   #1132
frank spittle

WOW Dean. That is the best 3 minutes of vintage drag racing I have seen. Perry & Scott in the opening, EJ Potter, The Barn Job, The Two Timer, Murray & Cook and others I bet Joe can identify.....not to mention the legendary cars. WOW!!!! You got to go to full screen on this one
Old 10-19-2011, 08:18 PM   #1133
iiggii

I see Arno pretty regular does a lot of machine work for me. can do it all. He still has his bike next time iam up that way will try and get some pictures. Low side mag did a peice on him belive it was mag # 4.

Last edited by iiggii; 10-19-2011 at 09:01 PM.
iiggii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:27 PM   #1134
skinner

Send a message via MSN to skinner

With regard to the head supports, they were a sort of belt and braces approach to try and keep all parts of the motor in the proper place. Crankcases had strengthening welded in to them, and the head was firmly locked down to it using a system of bolts and brackets. Sadly, nitro is unforgiving, and engines often did not last very long. Luckily the much favoured Triumph motor was cheap in those days. I will try and find a good close-up shot to post for you to see how it all worked.[/QUOTE]

My good friend Donny Covney is still trying to make a durable nitro triumph engine I have his billet pre unit cases and new cranks,and steel rods coming. A pattern for fuel cylinders in the works also as I cannot find Sonny Routts at the factory that he gave them too.
skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:14 PM   #1135
Joe Smith

Quote:
WOW Dean. That is the best 3 minutes of vintage drag racing I have seen. Perry & Scott in the opening, EJ Potter, The Barn Job, The Two Timer, Murray & Cook and others I bet Joe can identify.....not to mention the legendary cars. WOW!!!! You got to go to full screen on this one
Frank the only one I could name other than the ones you spotted was me in the pit area with my Fuel Knucklehead and two runs on my Fuel Shovelhead...

Lion's always had a lot of bikes...cool Video...

GRANDDADDY JOE SMITH
INDY WORLD CHAMP
1971,74 & 75
http://www.granddaddyjoesmith.com
Copyright 2007-2013. Joe Smith. All rights reserved
Joe Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:37 AM   #1136
frank spittle

I thought the Knucklehead in the pits looked like your bike but didn't recognize you in any of the runs. But I guess that was before you started putting sponsor stickers on your bike.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:36 AM   #1137
Joe Smith

Quote:
I thought the Knucklehead in the pits looked like your bike but didn't recognize you in any of the runs. But I guess that was before you started putting sponsor stickers on your bike.
Yes that's the Knucklehead, best time in 1968 was 158 MPH at 9.44 ET...

This is the other one of the Shovelhead taken from the Video, the frame I built with a Shovelhead in it and put the Knucklehead in it to race while I built the 102 Shovelhead, then just switched motors...my number at that time was 120 which you can see part of it on my back...

GRANDDADDY JOE SMITH
INDY WORLD CHAMP
1971,74 & 75
Old 10-22-2011, 05:07 PM   #1138
Keith Lee

Got to agree that was a great bit of film of some of the old guys.

Talking of films, I received my copy of the Hogslayer DVD yesterday, and very much enjoyed watching it last night. It is a very good piece of work, and well worth a viewing, or two. I've kept in touch with John Gregory over the years, and was always impressed with his work on the Norton.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:18 AM   #1139
Joe Smith

OK I'm going to bite the bullet here, it's not Vintage Fuel Drag Bikes but it's "The 2011 NHRA California Hot Rod Reunion at Formosa Raceway in Bakersfield...The track where the "Gas and Fuel Championships" were held in "The Day"...it's where I turned the "First Eight Second Run" on a Motorcycle...

Today is the Finals starting a 9AM, California time...Front Engine Dragsters, Funny Cars and the best of all the Fuel Altereds of the Seventies...

http://www.bangshift.com/blog/Stay-T...ts-Friday.html

GRANDDADDY JOE SMITH
INDY WORLD CHAMP
1971,74 & 75
Old 10-23-2011, 01:40 PM   #1140
Keith Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Smith View Post
OK I'm going to bite the bullet here, it's not Vintage Fuel Drag Bikes but it's "The 2011 NHRA California Hot Rod Reunion at Formosa Raceway in Bakersfield...The track where the "Gas and Fuel Championships" were held in "The Day"...it's where I turned the "First Eight Second Run" on a Motorcycle...

Today is the Finals starting a 9AM, California time...Front Engine Dragsters, Funny Cars and the best of all the Fuel Altereds of the Seventies...

http://www.bangshift.com/blog/Stay-T...ts-Friday.html
Well I am watching Joe. I somehow think the track cannot look too much different from when you used to race there.