Welding on my hardtail with flux core? - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 03-02-2009, 10:50 AM   #1
tidrow55

Default Welding on my hardtail with flux core?

I'm welding on a hardtail onto my 73 Ironhead. Bolts on the bottom and welds at the backbone. I have a flux core mig and a buddy who is a welder by trade. Structurally will the flux core work? I know it is probably better to have gas or tig but I dont have those on hand.
tidrow55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2009, 10:53 AM   #2
scraper

Default Re: Welding on my hardtail with flux core?

it can be done but it wont be pretty. i would certainly find some scrap metal the same thickness & do a lot of practice beads & give it the BFH test to see if it breaks apart. if you took it to a local machine shop, im sure someone could zap it for you for very little loot and the welds wont look like burned snot.
scraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:13 AM   #3
notsohotrod

Most flux core machines can be switched easily to mig/ gas. The polarity needs to be reversed. So you would actually switch the leads in the machine. Afterwards hooking up the gas and changing the nozzle/tip.

Maybe your machine cannot be switched....I dont know.

But as far as structual intergrity. They build ships with flux core. The shit is FUCKING DIRTY though. Ugly welds, bad fumes and the arc is REALLY bright. I mean really bright. You would need a shade 13 not to burn you eyes.
notsohotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:22 AM   #4
TheManInBlack

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsohotrod View Post
Most flux core machines can be switched easily to mig/ gas. The polarity needs to be reversed. So you would actually switch the leads in the machine. Afterwards hooking up the gas and changing the nozzle/tip.

Maybe your machine cannot be switched....I dont know.

But as far as structual intergrity. They build ships with flux core. The shit is FUCKING DIRTY though. Ugly welds, bad fumes and the arc is REALLY bright. I mean really bright. You would need a shade 13 not to burn you eyes.
What he said, and the other post too.
TheManInBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:28 AM   #5
Richharr

clean and clean and clean the metal, the welds aren't going to be beautiful but it will hold

"semper fi" yeah I was miserable and tired for a few years too.
Richharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:41 AM   #6
4bangger

I have a similar issue, I have a mig running flux core (I am set up for gas but haven't purchased the bottle yet) the way I understand it is Flux actually burns hotter than welding with gas. So in theory you would get better penetration with the flux (if you practice and clean the metal before welding flux isn't so bad), I am going to be welding a David Bird hard tail on my 67 BSA frame and I am going to jig an tack it with my mig, then I will take it somewhere and pay the scratch to have it tig welded (mine doesn't bolt at the botom...)

http://thewheelmaster.com

4bangger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:49 AM   #7
chaoscycle

thats the best way to do it, as yo dont seem so sure of your self. nothing like riding your bike and thinking about your welds as you do 70 mph over a bump
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4bangger View Post
I have a similar issue, I have a mig running flux core (I am set up for gas but haven't purchased the bottle yet) the way I understand it is Flux actually burns hotter than welding with gas. So in theory you would get better penetration with the flux (if you practice and clean the metal before welding flux isn't so bad), I am going to be welding a David Bird hard tail on my 67 BSA frame and I am going to jig an tack it with my mig, then I will take it somewhere and pay the scratch to have it tig welded (mine doesn't bolt at the botom...)
Old 03-02-2009, 11:57 AM   #8
jneal

I use a flux wire welder for a lotta shit, and i dont use it for others? It really comes down to how well your fitment is and the confidence you have in your weld.You can get decent penetration with wire and some decent looking welds(if your machine is set up properly: wire speed, etc.) Your biggest problem is going to be porosity in the weld. Thats why you should at least MIG it if not TIG it.Just my .02

Last edited by jneal; 03-02-2009 at 12:02 PM.
jneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:01 PM   #9
ninemileskid

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoscycle View Post
nothing like riding your bike and thinking about your welds as you do 70 mph over a bump
Too true.
Whenever I'm on the highway and don't have to concentrate on riding so much I get to thinking about everything I did to my bike and how I'm not a mechanic and did I clean those bolts enough before applying the loc tite and how I'm not a mechanic and did I read the manual right and how I'm not a mechanic......
ninemileskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:25 PM   #10
xsilencex

personal opinion here, i wouldn't use flux to weld any frame work.
xsilencex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:37 PM   #11
Lurkingclass

I use flux core to put buildings and bikes together- no complaints here. Like someone already mentioned, it does burn hotter than gas, and with enough practice, the welds will look fine, and spatter will be minimal. But if spatter is an issue, these should do the trick...

http://www.deburringtools.com/
Lurkingclass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:39 PM   #12
jamie desoto

Send a message via AIM to jamie desoto Send a message via Yahoo to jamie desoto

i use it all the time.. although i run mine at full power with .035 wire. you cant break the welds. but you gotta practice with that set up for a while before you get good enough to trust it. and no it wont be really pretty. you can run a decent bead with it but like i said it takes lots of patience and practice. do not buy the harbor freight wire. go get the good stuff from your local wedling supply.
jamie desoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:50 PM   #13
telecaster_6

Ok...
There is a huge difference between gas shielded flux core and non-gas shielded flux core welding. A gas shielded flux cored wire will give better penetration and less porosity than a solid wire. Flux cored wire is also limited to the positions it can be used in. Flat and horizontal position welding only if I remember right.

Non-gas shielded flux core is junk...plain and simple. The weld will be absolutely full of porosity. Please dont even think of welding a hardtail section on with it...if you do, please post a picture of you and your bike so I know to stay as far away from you on any road.
telecaster_6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:47 PM   #14
tidrow55

Just so I don't get my head knocked off what should getting it TIG welded run? Just the weld at the backbone.
tidrow55 is offline   Reply With Quote