barrel and head - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 01-16-2012, 07:47 AM   #1
tr6phreak

Default barrel and head

Hi there i have a 8stud barrel and head on my bike and i believe it's the cast iron veriety. now i would like to Get a 9stud barrel and head any ideas or should stick to what is on the bike because of reliability
tr6phreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:19 AM   #2
tr6phreak

Default Re: barrel and head

On my bike the head and barrel are cast iron i believe that this is the 1950's type i should have aliminium head.as soon as i can i will post some pick's.to give a better idea. UP to the very late sixties i believe that the 9 stud heads tend to crack. and triumph went to ten stud head also on the earlier one's they were 8 stud head. The triumph is a 1968 tr6 650 with single carb
Old 01-16-2012, 10:47 AM   #3
whittiger650

Cool Re: barrel and head

I've never heard of 9 bolt heads cracking or issues with cracking. 8 bolts heads yes, but not 9 bolt.

You are correct, a 1968 TR6 should have a 9 bolt top end with cast iron cylinder barrels and aluminum single carb head. Since you say your bike has an 8 bolt top end with cast iron head it would be interesting to see what you have since what you have seem to be Pre-Unit items, at least your top end anyway.

But, if you don't care so much about originality, assuming it is in fact a '68 TR6, then the top end you have now if it is running and good at that, you might want to leave it that way....at least until it needs a rebuild. Shouldn't be any cracking issues with the cast iron cylinder head either...only the aluminum 8 bolt heads.

"
Got gleaming chrome...reflecting steel..........."
whittiger650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:45 AM   #4
tr6phreak

Default Re: barrel and head

Thank's for that things are clearer now.I have heard lots of things about the tr6,what people say and what people experience is two different things.