Vintage Motorcycle Alliance Swap, March 9-12 2012 at Eustis, Florida - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > Event Announcements

Old 11-26-2011, 04:05 AM   #1
Flathead Sarge

Send a message via AIM to Flathead Sarge
Unhappy Vintage Motorcycle Alliance Swap, March 9-12 2012 at Eustis, Florida

I posted something much like this tonight to the Antique Motorcycle Club or America (AMCA) Forum. The way that's being run, now, it probably won't survive the Big Brother censorship mentality that seems to have assumed the reins over there. So, I'm posting this everywhere else antiquers I know might read it, just for insurance. Just to let you know, SHOVELHEADS 35 years or older are 'antiques' now, under the rules of the AMCA, and most state's antique/collector vehicle registration provisions. And the antique motorcycle club swap meets, and the one that's going to compete with the relocated one this year, are prime hunting ground for Shovelhead parts and other goodies.

I've been a member of the Antique Motorcycle Club since 1972, when it was 600 people. I was just a kid, then. Now I'm retired. It was far different and, of course, much, much more informal then. I knew Doc Patt, Bob McClean, Art Sigal, Earl Chalfant, dear old Lou and Pauline Lichva, even Ernie and Betty Biddle. They're all passed on, now, and no one of their caliber has assumed their offices. The AMCA seems anymore to be just some kind of lumbering off-kilter machine constantly in disrepair, where, if not one wheel is falling off, it's another.

I guess I've watched it grow too big, if that's possible. Now, I watch it splintering: The Davenport Meet, the Florida Meet, Chapters all over are going their own ways. The Rheinback meet is a volunteer-fueled three or four-day carnival manned by most of the chapters in the Northeast that rakes in money mostly for the fairground where it's held. It's sad, in a way.

The very nature of our club, formed in 1954 upon the closing of the Springfield Indian factory to help people find parts for their old American motorcycles has changed. The reason is the horrendous monster of scale.

It's an inevitable result of an old fashioned club where everyone knew each other, a community that that worked, and problems were few, meeting internet-charged worldwide village of perfectly natural hoomin beans; that is, naturally selfish ones. And that old human nature, call it "capitalism," rears its ugly mug. "Oh, the humanity!"

Everything is driven by the buck, now. Even bad decisions are going to be stuck with as the worm continues to turn. The Florida Sunshine Chapter, AMCA, couldn't leave well enuf alone, and made a sudden near-sighted and ill-considered change of venue decision to abandon the Lake County Fairgrounds, Eustis, Florida, and move the "official" meet about sixty miles to a horse show place not far from the famous Cabbage Patch bar, over in Volusia County.

We can't mention in public on the AMCA forum the name of the meet ("VMA Eustis Meet," by the way) because the AMCA is trying to pretend it's not happening, as if that might seem to be broadcasting that it exists. Don't worry, everyone knows there's going to be a competing Eustis meet on the same weekend, March 9-12 2012, back on the familiar fairgrounds in 2012, with or without mentions of it on any one board.

Here's the dope on it: http://vintagemotorcyclealliance.com/event.html It was created by vendors who like the location and the reputation of the Eustis fairgrounds, and think they got the short end of the stick in a bad power play.

At its peak, the old Springfield, Mass. Indian factory and the Milwaukee Brickpile only produced a few thousand new motorcycles every year, and the minor manufacturers far fewer than that. Now, because over ten thousand AMCA members are chasing now-rare Original Equipment of the Manufacturers, we're hitting a wall. And the club is splintering.
www.37ul.com
Flathead Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:07 AM   #2
12tt

Default Re: Vintage Motorcycle Alliance Swap, March 9-12 2012 at Eustis, Florida

hi Sarge!

It is a shame this happened, but two are going to do nothing but hurt a very narrow market as it is, the AMCA has national recognition, it will take years to make a new venue work and then still there will be two in the same time frame close to each other

as of today, is the one still taking place in Eustis? I have not heard anything on it...

Tom
12tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:59 PM   #3
Chas.

Default Re: Vintage Motorcycle Alliance Swap, March 9-12 2012 at Eustis, Florida

not only is "IT HAPPENING", but some of the largest vendors around are showing up, including Wheels Through TIme, Replicant Metals, Texas 45 HD, Bruce Palmer III, Davis Sarafan, Way Back Wheels, David Wasserman, Patty Cramer, B&B Racing, Greg Hale, Thompson Vintage, Charlie "3 Fingers" from Full Throttle Mag, Faber Machine, Colony Machine, Blankenship Castings, Duffey Cycles and numerous other quality vendors from around the country. "Nuff said?"
Chas. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:59 PM   #4
Norton Rider

New to the board. I see from your post that there is swap meet in Eustis this weekend. Post says 9-12 March, reference site says 9th and 10th only. I would like to come down on Sunday, but not sure it is happening on Sunday
Norton Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:52 AM   #5
Chas.

Swap meet is being held Friday and Saturday, March 9-10 in Eustis at the usual spot, at the Lake County Fair Grounds. As in the past, admission is free. Their is a designated area at the covered pavilion to display your vintage bikes, but no AMCA judging will take place. For more information, please go to the website, vintagemotorcyclealliance.com. Wheels Through Time will be putting on a demonstration on how to evaluate and start a motor that has not been run in over 40 years and Mark Blankenship will be available to discuss Castings and parts, along with other vendors available to discuss technical issues surrounding restorations.
Chas. is offline   Reply With Quote