Jockey Journal Forum banner

Little surprise in a Triumph motor today....street tracker build

Tags
bad ass
43K views 131 replies 77 participants last post by  hooks2u 
#1 · (Edited)
Completed mockup pics of this rig are on the last page.

So I'm building this sorta large budget street tracker deal for a guy...Trackmaster frame, etc etc. The frame had a motor in it when he bought it, bout a '67 or so, with a Morgo 750 barrel on it. The guy that my client bought it from said it was a pretty mild motor that he was going to use on the street.

That guy is a damn liar. :D

I pulled the exhaust off today. At the other end of the ports (which are pretty large-ish) were the largest exhaust valves I have EVER seen in a Triumph motor. One of them happened to be all the way open too, and I promise it was far enough off the seat to stick a finger into. Big, BIG lift. Pulled off the rocker covers and discovered lightened, polished and shimmed rockers, with aluminum nuts locking the adjusters.

So then we decided to unscrew the intake manifolds because it was easier than unbolting the carbs. The carbs, by the way have "250 main" written on the top of them hahaha. What we found was that the carb bodies and manifolds have been concentric bored as a unit. Dead smooth from one end to the other. And the intake valves are in taper cut guides, and the heads on those valves are probably 1.75"...so big you can see where they rewelded the ports to put the big seats in.

So then we pulled the timing cover, where we found the following:

Those ain't just drilled kids. They're also thinned, beveled and the centers have been thinned as well. The inside edges of the dish area has even been turned out on a taper. Oh, and they're fully polished. Like even out in the actual gear teeth.

Looking through the hole in the case, I can see that it has some sort of steel H beam rods, probably Carillos based on the bolts in them. The flywheel is well, mostly machined clear off haha. The counterweights have been drilled and have Mallory metal welded in....and that's just the stuff I can see through that little hole.

Oh, and it's been converted to a 5 speed. It's full on silly.

I am giddy like a school girl. In a 250 lb Trackmaster, this ought to be a whale of a motor. I will FULLY document the rebuild as well as the rest of the project, can't wait to get inside the motor and see what's there. Just had to share, this shit was better than Christmas and it's not even mine.

See less See more
#8 ·
Pretty damned cool. Love to see some shots of the head and carb work!
Ohhhh don't worry. You have no idea how badly i wanted to blow off everything else I had to do today to tear this motor apart.....

It'll be documented very well. This is walking in the shadow of the giants type stuff here.

#13 ·
Things like this make me wonder....
Someone loved this thing, even if the guy that owned it wasn't the builder, he knew the dollars and time that went into it. How the hell does something like that end up with someone who doesn't even know what it is or value it (I'm assuming this is the case since the guy sold it as a "pretty mild motor") , If only it could talk

#111 ·
Its simple Drew. The owner was a racer. He got it as fast as he could and when something faster came along it was obsolete and useless. So it was passed along for something faster. While we may treasure it today. Back then it was something that had become slow so it had to go. The dollars and time invested meant nothing if it wasn't a winner.

#23 · (Edited)
ok Clay, as you know, bad ass motors need bad ass carbs and ignitions, what's your plan?

and be careful, I had a motor with 1.75 valves and big lift cams and I had to use index washers to index the plugs because the valve would open up and close the gap on the spark plug.

#30 ·
Yep. It had points in it. Not that there's anything wrong with that haha. I think I'm going to Tri Spark it, because there's nowhere to hide stuff and beacause I want something with an actual timing curve. Carb wise, I'm going to stick with the worked over 930s that are on it. They have no bore wear on them, and they match the manifolds.

My client actually had it running before he brought it to me. He didn't ride it hard because it has Carlisle dirt tires on it and the swingarm bushings are totally shot. But it did run, so this is an inspection rebuild more than anything else...barring any worn parts the motor will go back together EXACTLY how it comes apart.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.