Jockey Journal Forum banner

Slabside Shovelhead

43K views 246 replies 46 participants last post by  JAWS 
#1 ·
Just picked up a little project that I had been watching on craigslist over the last month or so. 1969 FLH motor with matching 4 speed ratchet trans. Engine and trans sit in an original, uncut Wishbone frame that was molded and painted back in the 70s. Trans has been rebuilt, as has the bottom end of the motor and the heads, but it came with most remaining parts to complete the build. Not totally sure of the direction on this one as it will be my first big twin project. More than likely try to stick with the chopper style of that time period and I have a little inspiration board tacked onto the wall of my shop. For now she sits like this until I pick up more parts, but I'm psyched to have scored this one!

See less See more
#93 ·
Shovit, I'll send you an pm with my email

I can definitely take some measurements on a flat plate to see if the plate is bent or warped. But I really do think the tab has been modified by someone in the past. Looking at pictures of newer plates, the tab is more like a capitol C, whereas mine is more bent closed. I'll probably try to bend it back out with a little heat

#95 ·
Yeah, mine fits like it should, and I have a OEM and a aftermarket one, so I took photos of each, attached, from several directions, and some with a measuring device, to show him how mine fits. Did both. The are both pretty close to being exactly the same dimentions, and fitment. So, now I am waiting on him to look and measure his.

He seems to think it is the tab, but it is not the tab, but the angle it is sitting at, which affect how the tab aligns with the slot.

#96 ·
Shovithead, was gracious enough to help me out with a ton of pics and measurements that I used to verify if my backing plate was aligned correctly or crooked. The plate was flat/correct, the tab was in fact bent/modified at some point, so that solves that. Was able to get the fender and sissy bar all fabbed up with some help from a more skilled welder than I. Will post some more detailed pics, but heres how it sits as of right now

#97 ·
Keep the questions coming, and the photos too. That, is going to be a sweet piece of metal when you are done. Even if you don't polish it up to much. But, I have always liked the stockish frame bikes anyway.

#101 ·
Does anyone have a simple wiring diagram for running with a mangeto and no battery? Seems like I just need one wire from the generator to capacitor to the ignition switch, and a few more for headlight/tail light an brake switch.

#102 ·
Correct, and why a key switch? Just a toggle will do, and it is next to useless, since you will have no battery.

See Rhysmorton, he runs the same setup. He is currently adding a rear tail light and brake light on his. But, yes, genny to cap, then wire what you need. I am sure he will chime in, when he sees this. Not that he can add anything. But, he can tell you his experience.

#112 ·
Picked up this guy a few days ago, pretty psyched on it. Morris Mag 74E. Went to install yesterday and was having trouble getting the hex alignment correct. Instructions say to set it to the points "just about to open" and inspect if the mag studs align with a flat or a point. I was able to figure that out but had to take the base out a few times, shift the driver and install again to try to get it right. After about 6 attempts I called it quits, need to give it another crack again today.

#114 ·
I literally just watched! Thanks Eric. Im basically going through those steps again. Whats happening is I'm installing with the points opening so it doesn't matter if i turns the mag, the contact is still broken. I stepped away for the night, gonna jump on it with a clear head

#116 ·
And shesis. Basically did what Magnum45Pete said above. Took a few tries and a little trimming of some cyclinger find but she's in and timed. For anyone looking into a Morris, these guys were a joy to deal with and I 100% suggest picking up the timing tool.

#117 ·
Glad you got it done & that I was able to help,
Dave at Morris Magneto's is a great fella and very helpful,...I used to live in the next town over (Bernardsville) and often used to go to his workshop to check out some real nice bikes he was working on,... always had time for a Coffee & a chat...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.