Jockey Journal Forum banner

Welding on my hardtail with flux core?

12K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  tidrow55 
#1 ·
I'm welding on a hardtail onto my 73 Ironhead. Bolts on the bottom and welds at the backbone. I have a flux core mig and a buddy who is a welder by trade. Structurally will the flux core work? I know it is probably better to have gas or tig but I dont have those on hand.

#3 ·
Most flux core machines can be switched easily to mig/ gas. The polarity needs to be reversed. So you would actually switch the leads in the machine. Afterwards hooking up the gas and changing the nozzle/tip.

Maybe your machine cannot be switched....I dont know.

But as far as structual intergrity. They build ships with flux core. The shit is FUCKING DIRTY though. Ugly welds, bad fumes and the arc is REALLY bright. I mean really bright. You would need a shade 13 not to burn you eyes.

#4 ·
Most flux core machines can be switched easily to mig/ gas. The polarity needs to be reversed. So you would actually switch the leads in the machine. Afterwards hooking up the gas and changing the nozzle/tip.

Maybe your machine cannot be switched....I dont know.

But as far as structual intergrity. They build ships with flux core. The shit is FUCKING DIRTY though. Ugly welds, bad fumes and the arc is REALLY bright. I mean really bright. You would need a shade 13 not to burn you eyes.
What he said, and the other post too.

#6 ·
I have a similar issue, I have a mig running flux core (I am set up for gas but haven't purchased the bottle yet) the way I understand it is Flux actually burns hotter than welding with gas. So in theory you would get better penetration with the flux (if you practice and clean the metal before welding flux isn't so bad), I am going to be welding a David Bird hard tail on my 67 BSA frame and I am going to jig an tack it with my mig, then I will take it somewhere and pay the scratch to have it tig welded (mine doesn't bolt at the botom...)

#8 · (Edited)
I use a flux wire welder for a lotta shit, and i dont use it for others? It really comes down to how well your fitment is and the confidence you have in your weld.You can get decent penetration with wire and some decent looking welds(if your machine is set up properly: wire speed, etc.) Your biggest problem is going to be porosity in the weld. Thats why you should at least MIG it if not TIG it.Just my .02

#12 ·
i use it all the time.. although i run mine at full power with .035 wire. you cant break the welds. but you gotta practice with that set up for a while before you get good enough to trust it. and no it wont be really pretty. you can run a decent bead with it but like i said it takes lots of patience and practice. do not buy the harbor freight wire. go get the good stuff from your local wedling supply.

#13 ·
Ok...
There is a huge difference between gas shielded flux core and non-gas shielded flux core welding. A gas shielded flux cored wire will give better penetration and less porosity than a solid wire. Flux cored wire is also limited to the positions it can be used in. Flat and horizontal position welding only if I remember right.

Non-gas shielded flux core is junk...plain and simple. The weld will be absolutely full of porosity. Please dont even think of welding a hardtail section on with it...if you do, please post a picture of you and your bike so I know to stay as far away from you on any road.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.