Jockey Journal Forum banner

The Deadbird Chop – pic heavy

34K views 149 replies 71 participants last post by  JAWS 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, I'm a little embarrassed to admit it, but I started this build more than 5 years ago. In fact, by the time I actually get it on the road it will have been 6 years since I first bought the pile. But hey, it's my first ever motorcycle. That ought to be worth something, right? Anyway, I started a thread a long time ago. Seemed better to just start over since the thing is actually coming together now. I'm going to post progress pics from where I started up to where I am now. Hey, after all, it has been almost 6 years. There's a bunch to post, so here goes nothin'.

This is what I bought. Man, what was I thinking? I got a clear title with it, which is worth a bunch in Illinois.

See less See more
#37 ·
Nice work and persistance.I'm kickin' myself for giving up and selling unfinished projects.I like the way you went with the taillight (no sissy bar) and the bars.As much as I like brass,you got a nice clean look.It's fittin' your boy pretty well ... C'mon dad,do you REALLY expect us to believe you didn't have this planned ? ... lol

#38 ·
Well, I'm a little embarrassed to admit it, but I started this build more than 5 years ago. In fact, by the time I actually get it on the road it will have been 6 years since I first bought the pile. But hey, it's my first ever motorcycle. That ought to be worth something, right? Anyway, I started a thread a long time ago. Seemed better to just start over since the thing is actually coming together now. I'm going to post progress pics from where I started up to where I am now. Hey, after all, it has been almost 6 years. There's a bunch to post, so here goes nothin'.
This is what I bought. Man, what was I thinking? I got a clear title with it, which is worth a bunch in Illinois.
Great job all around. It's a learning experience for sure. Don't be embarrased, I started my Panhead project in 2005. Changed directions way too many times and let too much time go by here and there. Looking forward to finishing as I'm sure you are.

#40 ·
I noticed that I was givin no credit in the text for my constant ragging of you to get off you butt and work on this thing! Thats cool Lee, i'm just always the motivator, never getting anything in return! haha! looks great man, I really never thought it would look this good, or that you would get it this far, kinda sucks cause I was thinking someday I would buy this pile of parts from you!

#48 ·
Kickstart - yeah, I think Jesse would kind of like to claim it for himself. So far he's not making any noise about it though. He's a pretty patient kid. Probably just biding his time. Funny you should mention a follow up. There is a little something in the works. Stay tuned kids. :cool:

#49 ·
I spent my day off in the garage working on the bike a little, because I know that's what Dr. King would have wanted. I pulled off the primary cover and the rocker boxes just to see how things looked. I'm not using the old chromed pieces. Going with a polished look instead. The chrome is too worn. I had some other things to get done today, but at least I got to clean the engine up a bit.

Everything looked really good until I pulled these out. Not so good.

#52 ·
Well I don't feel quite as bad about having left mine alone for nearly 4 years....

I'm not sure about yours but I had put new bearings and rings in mine 4 years ago and when we went to 'kick it through' to check the pushrod movement it was REAL stiff to get it moving (almost felt locked up). It loosened up and we sprayed a little liquid wrench in it to keep it that way.

What did you use on the cases to clean them that nice?

#53 ·
What did you use on the cases to clean them that nice?
Elbow grease. :D

Seriously though, the engine was pretty clean when I got it. I shot it once with Gunk engine degreaser right after I pulled it out of the old frame. I just wiped it down yesterday with mineral spirits.

I used Mothers mag polish on the covers after sanding them with 320, 600 and 800 grit. I'm not satisfied with the shine yet, so I'll hit 'em again with 1200 and 2000 grit, then a good buffing on my buddies power buffer. That oughta do it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.