Jockey Journal Forum banner

triumph neck bearings

4K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  vicious 
#1 ·
i have a '69 triple and fork set up with a '65 frame. i am planning on buying a new set of tapered roller bearings to slip in there to replace the older style cup bearings.....am i going to be o.k.?? i am 90% sure, but once i was 90% sure i found the right girl to marry too.

so i think i need some assurance or a kick in the head to be completely sure or completely unsure, whatever the case may be. any expert advice or pictures of single female friends would be appriciated.

thanks.

#5 ·
Not sure if it is me but I think you need to install new races to hold the tapered bearings. I am putting a 71 tree onto a 65 frame I have new races but I don't know their name. I don't think the issue is stem size, it's needing the race. Hopefully the next guy will clear this up.

#9 ·
i have a '74 fork and a '69 frame

i bought a conversion kit for the frame with the intention of buying differnt bearings to fit the fork

would a stem spacer be a better approach and shim the stem to the bearing i.d.

thanks

#10 ·
i have a '74 fork and a '69 frame

i bought a conversion kit for the frame with the intention of buying differnt bearings to fit the fork

would a stem spacer be a better approach and shim the stem to the bearing i.d.

thanks
In this case, I would take the bearing from the kit and a bearing from a stock oil-frame (or the stem) to a bearing house.

Have them match the o.d. of the kit bearing & the i.d. of the o.i.f. bearing with a new bearing for your combo, rather than fabbing/adding a new part like a sleeve or shim.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

#12 ·
What Dragon says MAY be easier said than done about finding bearings to fit a 73 f/e to a 69 frame, I did it decades ago as a kid and the same tapered rollers are still going strong, they have dust seals too, but needed a sleeve turned up for the OD of the bearing shell. To totally keep out the crap, stuff some foam in the frame.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.