Jockey Journal Forum banner

T-MAC Terror Shovel Build

22K views 147 replies 55 participants last post by  spent 
#1 ·
I'm finally working on my Shovel after a couple MAJOR road blocks on the way. I bought a running bike with a 73 FL frame and 80" Shovel and cow pie trans out of a 79 FXEF and rode it for a summer. It ran good but wasn't what I wanted.I was looking for a nimble around town machine so I thought I put the powertrain into a light bike. So... I bought a new Maximum Metalworks rigid frame,narrow glide,new sporty tank,21" wheel and a few other odds and ends. Work got REALLY busy so I thought I'd have guy I met on here thats 2hrs south of me do some fab work and get it a roller for me because I never had the time to touch it. It was good at first but progress came to a hault and the fab work was very poor and VERY unsafe. He dinged me $3500 for a few parts and shitty welding that I broke off with a rubber hammer and cresent wrench.Again work got busy and the bike sat all summer so I found another "builder" this time 2.5 hrs north of me to get things going...9 months and $3300,and every excuse in the book I picked the bike back up with nothing done too it other than some cheesy fender mounts that I broke off by hand and NO refund on my money. He says he messed up but he'll get my money back to me when he wants.... Anyways sorry for the sob story but I thought I'd get it off my chest due to both these "builders" being members on here.

I'm going to get this bike built if it kills me!!! haha

Attachments

See less See more
#40 ·
I made a bit more progress on the weekend with mockup. I need to pickup some more hardware. This might be a rookie question but should I use fine thread hardware for motor/trans mounting bolts? Also I was going to powdercoat the frame but now I'm leaning towards paint. Pro's and cons?

#47 ·
My tank had a flat bottom and tunnel put in it by one of the prior "builders" but was really poorly done so I decided to cut it out and narrow it 1" to start. I might go more its just tacked up for now

Attachments

#49 · (Edited)
Making progress with the bike finally after the holidays. I will post pics tonight.I had to build new rear axle Adjusters/spacers to make my axle length work. I used aluminum instead of steel but made the OD a but bigger so there is a bit more material where the 3/8" slots are for the adjustment bolts. Should I have used steel?

#58 ·
Can't make out too much detail from the pic I looked at, but it may be helpful to mock up the left side peg & controls, then see if a simple L-shaped kickstand could be bent up and installed; your bike is low enough that a foot that pivots out on the same plane as the bottom frame rail should work.

#59 ·
I tried the stock stand and it's way too long and I think if I shorten it and give it a bend it's going to hit the primary in the up position. I'll mess around with it tonight. I found a nice stand from Lock Baker that's made out to look like a leaf spring but its $350 and that's too rich for this guy

#71 ·
Nice job on the tank. That shovel is looking nice!

Bummer that you got jammed up on having another builder do work on your bike, you seem to be doing just fine on your own. Slow and steady wins the race when you're building your own bike.
Thats for sure I'm getting my garage more setup for working on bike stuff so I'm going to tackle everything possible myself and get this thing done. Its amazing how much more a guy gets done when when you are setup for it. One downfall is my race car gets no time spent on it so I might be late starting the season but I think it will be worth it

#66 ·
I need to order a new rear sprocket because the one on my rim is pretty beat up. I was wondering on gearing. Current rear is 51 tooth and trans sprocket is 24 tooth. I have a new 26 tooth also on the shelf. It's a light bike so maybe gear it for the highway so it's not screaming with the 4 speed? What do you guys think?

#67 ·
I run 49 rear/24 tranny and it's the perfect combo for top and bottom. If you wanna gear it for all highway put that 26 on with a shorter sprocket and you'll cruise in the 80 MPH's no problem. Mine use to with that set up anyways, just was a dog outta the hole. All the stock sprocket 51 tooth guys are loving the 25 tooth tranny gear. Also your crank pulley size should be factored in too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.