Jockey Journal Forum banner

norton chopper??

39K views 65 replies 52 participants last post by  Dragon 
#1 ·
just wondering how many ruined a perfectly good norton by chopping it up,,heh. I have a 68 commando.. trying to figure out what the hell im gonna do with it.

#2 ·
Not too many.

The isolastics on the Commando frame make it tough to chop without a new frame.
A solidly mounted Norton engine will shake your fillings out, ask any Atlas owner.

Commando is set up much like a HD® FXR (Looks like HD® took a long look before designing it) and as such is a great bike as it, lening itself to cafe customizine or just a tart up.

#3 ·
Englishman said:
Not too many.

The isolastics on the Commando frame make it tough to chop without a new frame.
A solidly mounted Norton engine will shake your fillings out, ask any Atlas owner.

Commando is set up much like a HD® FXR (Looks like HD® took a long look before designing it) and as such is a great bike as it, lening itself to cafe customizine or just a tart up.
not lookin to sell it are you??

#5 ·
I had a 1970 750 commando, man I loved that thing. I love choppers but I gotta say Nortons are cool without choppin' it. Cafe the hell out of it and you'll be happy! Oh and ditch the Lucas electrical harness he's know as the prince of darkness! lol!

destroywes said:
just wondering how many ruined a perfectly good norton by chopping it up,,heh. I have a 68 commando.. trying to figure out what the hell im gonna do with it.

#6 ·
Does it have a high rise exhaust and fastback seat? I had a 71 roadster that i cafed. It was one of the fastest bikes ive ever owned.If you get a chance convert it to electric ingn using the boyer kit and if you want reliabilaty and ease of set up convert it to a single mikuni carb set up. You don't lose performance and you gain a little in mpg. Its also easier to start and you don't have to fool with the amals(tickiling the carb blah blah)They are sweet bikes stock but it would also make a cool chop.just my .2 cents. Gregg

#13 ·
I second (or third) going cafe'. To me the angle of the top end looks like it's screaming forward and a fast looking frame compliments it nicely. Rigid frames, to me, look too "laid back" for such a motor. But it's your bike, I'm not going to bash what you choosd to do with it.

#28 ·
Snortin' Norton??

I've got a Norton basket that's getting hardtailed & minimzed (I won't try to label it chopper/bobber/whatever) - need to get a few other projects done & start working on it - here's a crappy pic of pseduo-mockup

Attachments

#46 · (Edited)
hi, brand new to this forum. very cool.

to kbj, dig that pair of Nortons mate! Love the minimalist 'chopped' look.
Had one in a very similar style myself some years back. Will try and post photo when possible. I wouldn't chop a good frame, but mine had rear loop chopped and then re-welded, when I got it, cheap, so chopped it again. Fitted wtih a very early Commando motor w/ points behind barrels. no cush-drive rear hub. fitted with Hi-Rider/SS tank and single saddle with alternate sportster rear guard ( by the way, you did a nice job on the rear struts on that one!) and also bobbed chrome fender (like the other one) from a Yamaha or something, $10 bucks from wreckers.
I noice we're also both from Oz, and the same state from your licence plate.

btw, theo ne nearest camera, is that an 810 cc kit ?

cheers,

Dog

#27 ·
Nortons are pretty much rockin the shit in my opinion. I rarely see them around, I'm always stoked when I see someone with one. Stock or otherwise. If you cafe the thing, it'll be cool, but you said the frame was fucked up anyway? Might as well chop it. Then you'll probably be the only guy at your local watering hole riding a Norton chop. Kick ass. Can't go wrong, either way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.