Jockey Journal Forum banner

Blown 45 build

357K views 2K replies 127 participants last post by  Elffors 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello!
The build season is comming up here in sweden and my 45 is up for an overhaul again. I built it from an pile of parts from what must have been an seventies chopper.

View attachment 80272

After the first winter it looked like this
rather bobbish

View attachment 80273
Now i been drawn to more of a dragrace style.
The idea for now is to make it blown but maybe i go for a more radical N/A engine. Time will tell.
Hopefully i will have enough time and money to make this happen til next summer.

#170 · (Edited)
Got the pegshaft and peg clevisis (?) done.
I Like the thought of upfolding pegs since my sportbike days of biking. Sometimes i get carried away and i just hate it, when pegs limits my cornering speed.

Anyhow, it got a little wide but they should hold the clutchleverer and chaintensioner. Then i will know if, and by how much they can be narrowed. It's the wrong bolt in the pic but i only had unc 1/2" and it's threaded unf 1/2"

There will be no holedrilling in the chaintensioner sprocket cause i ordered the smallest duplex sprocket i could find and
it's about an inch in diameter.
I have calculated that it would be turning 20.000rpm so it needs a ballbearing to stop it from seizing.

Now i just wish i was 5 feet tall instead of 6,3.
Then i could actually ride this thing with any dignity....

#173 ·
HTML:
Thanxs Stephen. A pat on the back never hurts.

Mr Jaws you should have seen the kick ass clutch leverer that took some real early hours and some late from work to fab up.

looking at it brings a little tear of pride to my left eye....

#178 ·
I like the idea, but the chain will fall off if the pedal moves back and slacks it.

Linkage.....levers in a similar pattern as the chain, with a bell crank. Lots of holes or windows maybe.

I like how busy this side of the bike is. Lots of visual stimuli.

#180 ·
I love 45's!!

OK, got that outa the way...

Now then, I've been following this thread all along & I'm finally gonna toss my worthless opinion into the mix -
Keep the chain clutch release! All you have to do is put in some sort of travel limiter for the pedal so that the chain can't get too loose. Not so tight that it's keeping tension on the chain & keeping load on the clutch, but just enough to keep the slack in the chain to a minimum.
You gotta keep it - it's too cool & it fits the build.
(as I mentioned at the beginning - my worthless opinion - it's worth what you paid for it :p)
I had an similar solution on the previous version of this build.

It had an travellimiter on the leverer so that the chain wouldn't slack after release, which it did on my first ride an left me clutchless..

Anyhow.
at the current state it looks like a girl with 3 tits. (o yes google had plenty of pics of that too.)
Which is nice in theory but just doesn't feel right when you lay your'e hands on them.

And..
It doesn't work cause, leverer sprocket is so small that you need to turn it over 90 degrees to get decent clutch action.

Im leaning towards an wiresolution with an ratio 1:2 to help limit travel of the leverer

#179 ·
I love 45's!!

OK, got that outa the way...

Now then, I've been following this thread all along & I'm finally gonna toss my worthless opinion into the mix -
Keep the chain clutch release! All you have to do is put in some sort of travel limiter for the pedal so that the chain can't get too loose. Not so tight that it's keeping tension on the chain & keeping load on the clutch, but just enough to keep the slack in the chain to a minimum.
You gotta keep it - it's too cool & it fits the build.
(as I mentioned at the beginning - my worthless opinion - it's worth what you paid for it :p)

#182 ·
I'm Back from the drawingboard. I've come up with this, and it works!
Changed the two sprockets to one leverer and one "knee"
The knee has an ratio of 1:2ish.
I'm not entirely happy with the rod between them but it has stay for now.

There has to be an chaintensioner behind that rod and i don't want it to be hidden behind an overdesigned clutchrod

#185 ·
Ohh crap. I think it has happened again. Since i've read mads super x thread. My mind has been locked on casting my own OHV heads.

It has always happened to me, when im into an multi year project something cooler comes along with an new itch to scrath.
Hopefully i can shake this itch off like the speedy shift itch.
Jj is an dangerous place to hang

I'm fighting it back with: It's way cooler with an working blown flattie than an garage full of unfinished cool projects.
Now it's feels better

#188 · (Edited)
one half done chaintensioner

It'a a very crowded place where that tensioner is placed. Maybe i will go for an smaller sprocket but it needs to be roundabout this size so there is enough material left to the bearings. It's got that rough " hammered out on an anvil look" because
it's hammered out on an anvil

#193 · (Edited)
Got that tensioner working.
Decided to go with hole drilling, i was afraid that it was gonna be too much but i think it worked.
Reworked the cluthclinkage, ....again.
Maybe it's not so old looking but it's clean, mechanical and foremost, -i like it!
Time to change side and start on the brakepedal.
Just need to change the sprocketbolt...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.