Jockey Journal Forum banner

Kustom 1959 pre unit by Angry Monkey Motorcycles

79K views 151 replies 70 participants last post by  calicruiser 
#1 · (Edited)
Yep, here is another "drama-free" supercrouton build thread :D, on a 1959 T120, that is destined for a client in <ST1:p<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
</st1:country-region>Australia</ST1:p. As such, it had to have a front mud guard, chain guard, Aussie-size license plate bracket, and a front brake. This bike is typical of the sort I build; short front, +6 rear, vertical oil tank, and a CF gas tank. Most members here will recognize the familiar stance, and as such, this thread will be more focused on the fabrication details. Enjoy!
<O:p</O:p
Here is what I had to start with, this time around.

After the build was spoke for, I rounded up a suitable frame

Then chopped/smoothed it to an appropriate level

The rear section is from The Factory Metal Works. Lucas made this up custom for me, he has been super to deal with, and the section went together perfect!

See less See more
#35 ·
Thanks!

Damn fine work Dan this is gonna be sweet!!!! Bet that rum taste a little better than my Captains.
Thanks! And yes, the Bundaberg is indeed good stuff :D

Dan, what's that ink called you use to mark you metal work to scribe onto? I've used it before but I can't remember what it's called and I need to get some.
It is machinist layout dye (or "marking blue"). It works tons better than sharpies if you need an accurate mark.

Cheers, Dan.

#39 ·
It is magneto powered. That's not the issue. No one likes a batteryless bike more than me, but this motor is a "generator" model, and I was set on using a modern, 12 volt charging system, while retaining the sexy, Generator primary cover (what's left of it anyway:D). The Alton alternator was my best choice, and as such, it has to have a substantial battery to function properly. I know I could have used the Lucas 6 volt system, or used a 12v converter on a Lucas gennie, but this bike is going a looooong way to its new owner, and I was not willing to roll the dice on a rebuilt or converted Lucas gennie. Tough choice, but it's made now.
Cheers, Dan.

#41 · (Edited)
^^ I know, right? I was thinking the same thing, no battery was the original plan, in fact. But after some lengthy discussions with the Alton engineers, as well as one of their distributors here in the US (that has seen several Alton w/no battery attempts), I learned that they will not function for very long, without a decent size battery that is also in good shape.
They told me some stats which I will share (incorrectly, I'm sure); The Alton uses thicker gauge wire, of much shorter length in it's windings. Thus if not connected to a battery, it, and the regulator, will attempt to charge at infinity volts, thus causing a thermo-nuclear meltdown of most of North America, or something. Weird, huh?:D

#44 ·
Another issue that I run into with pre units is footrests. It seems when I need them, they either cannot be found, or they are $200 a pair for original rests that are mangled and bent beyond recognition. So this is what I came up with. It's not the first time anyone has used dirt-bike foot rests, but for me, it is an elegant solution to a recurring problem. They have been warmly received so far. My next several clients have already said they want them for their bikes. Plus they have spring-loaded folding action, in case they drag in a turn. I tested them on my personal bike first to be sure the geometry was right, and that they contact the road before any other part of the bike.

Nothing new here, just some 10 gauge spring perches

#55 · (Edited)
Love those footpegs/mounts. Cool thing about folding pegs is you have soo many options for different pegs.
Yep, If you noticed there is a different one on either side. This bike is getting the bronze, CNC'd ones, I have the plain black "stock" ones on my bike.

did joe show you the EI units he made up? absolutely stellar work!
Yep, Joe is sending me his latest work; Upgraded front motor mounts for "generator" motors, and his new EI setup. I will post pics here when they show up.

I've always used Dykem Blue for layout. Probably the same stuff.
Another cool build thread.
Yep, That is exactly what I use. Thanks!

Beautiful to watch.
Thanks!

You can finally get back to building bikes now that i am not calling you every other day with some "Why" question. Hahahaha..
Anytime Phil!

Wow, almost missed this thread.
Thanks!

Here is the exhaust's rear support brackets, not fully welded.

Head steadies

Now, on with the motor work. Here is a fin repair performed on the head, here it is, after a thorough cleaning, and beveling of fin stub...

Here is the replacement fin after layout and cutting. Before I welded it back on it got a ton of shaping, as these fins taper in thickness from the inside out to the edges

Here is the finished repair.....

"Hey, I think I just broke a bolt off in the sump plate!" "Dude, just drive another bolt right in there at whatever angle right next to it, and while you're at it, crank the other three bolts until you pull the threads out of the cases!" (conversation between previous owner and buddy, however many years ago) So the sump area of the case had to be opened up with a die grinder, bolt remnants removed, case welded back solid, filed true, drilled, and tapped. And the other three holes got heli-coils.

#50 ·
love the build, dan...coupla things, the machinest/layout compound is commonly referred to as "prussian blue" it drys on metal,allowing a scribe to mark perfectly, and its an antidote for thallium poisoning! [really!]
did joe show you the EI units he made up? absolutely stellar work!
will be following the build eagerly.

#54 ·
Wow, almost missed this thread.
It's looking real nice!

Admins, can Dan get his own channel or section on the board? Then we don't have to miss his builds. And you know he'll be on here for a while, since he has 3 more builds to do..... ;)

#63 ·

Ha! Tannis you are too kind.

Nice looking build can't wait to see more.
Thanks!

that fin repair is superb! I've been a fan of all your builds but you really have raised the bar on this one, the detailing is truly impressive.
Thanks Jerome. You should see what Joe has come up with lately. Very cool stuff.

looks awesome dan! congrats on gettin a tig, as you know, they'll change yer life!
You got that right! My hope is that I get half as good as you my freind :D

Sweet build Dan, you going to hand deliver when its done? Surfs up!
Michael, Thanks, Yeah, I wish. BTW, I show that forged skull you made me, to people all over the place, pics just do not do your work justice.
Cheers, Dan.

Of course the motor got built from the sludge trap up, with Hepolite pistons, new stock bore cylinders, new main bearings, mushroom tappet adjusters, new valves+guides etc.

The transmission got the same treatment; bearings, bushings etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.