Jockey Journal Forum banner

'74 xlh street digger build

15K views 71 replies 27 participants last post by  xmlc216x 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
'74 xlh chopper build

I picked up this sporty at a swap meet this weekend for cheap!

:)

Anyone have an old 70's single loop frame laying around they want to get rid of? Nunes, Century Enterprises, etc.?

See less See more
#29 · (Edited)
Been a long day... Started by pulling the back head

Stuck valve like I was thinking... So I put the extra low mileage head my dad had laying around on there, adjusted pushrods, set points, set the timing and installed the exhaust and carb...

Fired right up!
http://s1191.photobucket.com/albums/z474/mlc216/?action=view&current=f7126e00.mp4

Adjusted the clutch by the book a few times with no results... Wouldn't disengage, so I pulled the primary cover. Whoa way too much oil... Reassembled and readjusted... No cigar. Figured my clutch plates were stuck together from sitting so long... So I cranked it up and popped it into second and it spun gravel and took off... Guess I got the clutch working, but still dragging so another adjustment and I was good to go. Up and down the gravel road a few times and it feels great!!!

Found a brand new petcock, so I installed the original tank and called it a night

#35 ·
Fixed the video link above^

Patience... soon the fork will grow, the frame will change, and it will be dripping with 70's goodness. :)

But that is the smart way.. Get em running first!
Yep, a couple good rides before it gets cold... then I'll hole up in the garage and when the bike and I come out, it'll change lives.... well at least my life haha

#41 ·
Richarr, I was going to ride it like that for a while but I didn't want to spend money on stuff I wasn't going to use later on... I have a bike I can ride until this one is back on the road too.

Jtw, it's an old LeBlond 14 inch from the 1910-20s. It was a US Navy lathe that my father in law picked up for me. Has a 3 phase motor on it right now so I can't use it just yet. Hopefully I'll have it up and going soon though!

#44 ·
Extended the downtubes 3"

Still need a little cleaning up

Also heated the downtubes and pulled the neck back to add a little rake and get the backbone down tighter to the motor after the extensions:

You can see the bike has a slight forward lean to it after extending the downtubes.... This will be cured later with 6, 8, 10 over tubes... I'll have to do some measuring when the time comes!

#51 ·
I decided to build an oil tank to fit the frame. Go easy on me, it's my first time really welding with an o/a torch...

Made a template with paper, cut the shapes from 16 ga, and tacked the pieces with a mig

Next I got after it with the torch

Fits in there nice and snug

Follows the shape of the frame

Starting to come together

I still have to figure out exactly how to mount the oil tank and finish the bottom and bungs. But I've gotta get the fender mounted first...

#57 ·
Lots of ideas for both, but I haven't decided on anything for sure yet. Planning to ride it to the Dixie Round up at the end of April, so I'm not sure if I'll have time to do exactly what I want right now...

WOW. Great stance. Looks awsome, keep up the good work.
Thanks! Front end will be up just a tad higher with the '21 mini drum, but I have to make an axle for it first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.