Jockey Journal Forum banner

Sifton lienweber cams

67K views 192 replies 29 participants last post by  hugoct 
#1 ·
So I need some educating in cam history. I found a set of Ironhead cams on feebay. They are stamped with SL, the dude says they are Sifton/Lienweber. Any truth to those two producing parts together? Thanks in advance and I apologize if this somewhere on this forum already.

#6 ·
Re: Sifton lienweber cams //Sifton SL

the Sifton SL cam sorry to say is at the bottom of the Performance Chain, they are also known as Sportsman, if you can locate HH or +HH with thier .475 lift, now we are talking turkey... XLR Valves bring out the best when used with these cams..

#7 ·
Andrews still offers nice cams for Ironheads. I just put a brand new set of V 9's in mine. I had to have my case machined to fit them so if you are gonna go with big cams just know they aren't bolt in. Mine also has XLR valves in it which required some machining to make fit too. Good luck

G
#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
I will throw in TWO CENTS here..

The OG Poster was asking about after-market cams for an Ironhead..

Most all manufacturers makes them with the gears made on as a one piece cam...
This is where the Two Cents come in at.

These gears are cut/honed to a red color code...Red is pretty much the Standard size used...It is in the middle of the seven codes made.

Harley (In the later years of Sporty's) was trying there best to get the valve train to run with-out big time noise (Rattle or Whine)...They would mis-match those codes in order to get .000 to .0005 backlash on all 5 fitments.

There are some company's that make only the lobes for the OG gears..
This is a bit of work to make happen being the OG lobes would need to be ground off and the new lobes degreed in and welded on.

To name a few of them is Leineweber, Red Shift..

Andrews will take back a new cam that is theirs as long as it has NOT been run for honing the gear smaller or replacement with a larger gear as the need requires...

Just food for thought here on Performance Sportster Cams...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

G
#22 · (Edited by Moderator)
Some of the Hot Grinds that Sifton made are being remade by these boys.

http://www.blackwidowcams.com/

Also Jim Leineweber will custom grind cams to your specks on request.

http://www.leinewebercams.com/

There are many company's that make Top Shelf cams.

I have been using Leineweber's for a long time....Not only because of his cams being one of the best...But mostly cause of who he is and where he came from..

His Dad and mine was in the "War to End all Wars" ( WW1 )
Both was wounded in action in the largest battle of that war.
About One out of Ten Men was Killed or Wounded

http://www.worldwar1.com/dbc/bigshow.htm

This info may not be very useful....But is History of the Highest Order.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

G
#24 · (Edited by Moderator)
What Leineweber L Cam would you use ?
Thanks,
Monte
The L-5 would be a good choice....Kinda a plug and play cam...

.......BUT......

The L-6 would be the Cat-Daddy on making power..
This cam would need to have the XLR valves installed cause for the springs needing more height to work.

The XLR valves has a longer stem by .080 and a much larger head diameter.

If you would like to see both these grinds run on a Deck-Top Accelerator Program, I would be glad to post the grafts...

Like to have more info on the bike...
Carb, Gearing, weight...Stuff like that...

Also...Right at the moment...
I'm just starting a job on doing a set of Ironheads with the XLR valves for J&P Cycle's.(Daytona)
If you would like to see photos of the job in progress... would be glad to post some.

Just to get your Blood moving a little faster...
This motor has XLR valves in it...(And a Hell of alot more)

| Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3[/b][/size]

G
#26 · (Edited by Moderator)
You would need to pull them anyway for whatever cams you do decide to run...

Must do the checks on the valve springs, Coil Bind, Free Travel and Valve to Valve.
Do not assume, when installing new cams with higher lifts and longer durations, that all will be well. :confused:

This boy ASSUMED...(He seems to do alot of that)
He bolted down new STD heads without doing the checks.
Valve springs was going to coil bind.
Collar broke and dropped a valve.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk140/dragstews/Camel/DSCN0133.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk140/dragstews/jaMIESHEAD.jpg

End Results....26 miles later.

G
#29 · (Edited by Moderator)
#28 · (Edited)
Jesse-,
YES posting actual grafts would be good to see..
You should start a New Thread on the JP build, there is alot of Ironhead Interest here, Older Dogs like 'Me' and the Younger Guys that only hear about EVOs, Thanks for the Reply about the Leineweber Cams..
For the Guys that are not aware- Jim Leineweber takes your cams, say an old set of XLs or P and adds his Lobes to your gear set.. NO this is not Bargain Basement stuff, figure on 500.00 at a minimum from what Mr Leineweber told me a year ago by phone..

and your YouTube is the 93 incher of my Buddy 'Ross' aka FDNY,

G
#33 · (Edited by Moderator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle
Do you know at what lift the specs are taken? .005", .020", .053"?
Yes... ( .020 )

Jesse-,
YES posting actual grafts would be good to see..
...L-5...

...L-6...

Both these are with a 4-5/8 stroke, stock bore, XLR valves.

=======================================================

The cams that are in my Buell (EVO Sportster) are L-5T. The T is for Turbo. They are the weld-on lobes.
Been in it for about 10 years.
Got some wild cam timing going on with the exhaust...Jim worked with me on the design of them.

G
#35 · (Edited by Moderator)
All the way to Red-Line...

With the 6500 rpm that I made the program's red line...Still was making pony's...

I had an XR-1000 that would tach to 8,000...Engine life was short taking them to max rpm's often. (The XR-750's has a 10,500 Red-Line)
Could say that it's a trade off....If you beat the living snot out of them..Expect to be back inside to tighten up...(The grafts also shows Piston Speed at a given RPM)

Loved these short stroke High Revving motors...
They have a sound that is all there own.

I did my share of beating...

XR-750's are still available from HD...
....Dick O'Brien's brain child.....

BTW..This motor came from Harley with degree in, weld-on cams..
There is many grinds that Harley has for this motor..

G
#37 ·
^^^ That they are^^^

Just about every motor part was designed with one thing in mind...

..............High Rev's..............

Even the pinion shaft bushing is roller...

Oiling system is mega ..

Pump gears look like they came out of a Small Block Chevy...

They lighten up alot of the spinning motor parts ..

Clutch drum is alloy, Also the center hub. (It's the 70 and back clutch design)
There is not much wonder why they can spin to 10.500 RPM's and stay together...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.