Jockey Journal Forum banner

Ironhead in my shed build.

55K views 295 replies 25 participants last post by  little d 
#1 ·
I decided on making an official build thread for my 74 ironhead with a 75 motor in it.

Trying to decide if I like how the tank sits .. Going to have to cut the tunnel but hey beats the same ole sporty tank and I might get an extra half gallon.

See less See more
#127 ·
sure I will try them out. Not sure how I am going to proceed with the seat, but it is going to have to wait until after next week.

Finals and all.

G
#128 · (Edited by Moderator)
You got them.....

A word on the origin of those fender struts..

The Sportie in primer is where they came from...
Made them up as per the owner's instructions..

I didn't care for them from the get-go...But did as he said to do...
After 15 other people said "What the #@%&"

He let me do my thing with what thoughts I had in mind...

This is that bike done...

Think the fender struts that are on it now looked much better than the ones I'm going to send to you...

Being the holes are drilled for mounting to the frame ears will give you a great place to weld to....

BTY....That exhaust was NOT my idea....!!

But it was a great controversial piece...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

G
#134 · (Edited by Moderator)
You may be thinking right about the room in there...

Should have the right case back from the Wizard this coming week..
All work has been done, so just gluing them together, timing the oil pump, pressing on the pinion gear and boxing up to send back is left to do...

Still need to order that oil pump gasket... Been waiting for more of a order (From others) so as I don't get nailed with a handling fee from the Vender...They have a $50 min. going on.. If that don't happen soon, will make a trip to Ocala to pick one up...

Kinda need to go there anyways..
I most always try to stop by an Old Friends place to shoot the shit.... http://garlits.com/ .....Hell of a nice guy to talk with.... Hard to get away from him... He is a Hoot to be around...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

G
#136 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well .... Good Golly Miss Molly......

Was going together and on the last case bolt taking it to 15 Lb of TQ...
Guess what happen..?? The threads pulled... Great Scot !!! .....:mad:

So.....Split the case for repair and start over....:)

In the back of my head...Heard Forrest Gump saying "#%It Happens" :p
Guess so on 40 year old stuff....

Anyways got them glued and a few checks done....

Down-Hill from here....

========================================================

A place to Vent

The transfer valve was welded up....

Using a OEM vent Fitting from the 77-80 Sportie's will allow venting of the trans and primary...

======================================================

Well Guys....
A Fellow asked me what my Grandfather grew on his farm...(Besides Girls) ..:rolleyes:..

He grew anything that had a market for it.
Kentucky is well known for it's Tobacco.
Also had a huge Blackberry Patch.

For the War Effort (WWII) he grew Hemp... the Navy made rope from it...

Now before y'all get up in arm's .... It ain't the same.

Case in point...

"White Men Can't Jump" Woody Harrelson took it to Court...and Won.

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/story?id=2969864&page=1#.T-ZKbMW8Fac

Said you could smoke three acres of it and you would only get a headache...

#137 ·
Been there tried that! They grew hemp here in central kentucky during the civil war, so now you can find it in the fence rows around here. leaf looks right but a lighter color green. But hey sixteen and sober in a small country town will try anything!!!

G
#139 · (Edited by Moderator)
Got the parts in today...

Once the oil pump was loaded with the gaskets, did the factory timing on it...

This tool does a splendid job of keeping the TDC mark locked....
Flywheels will not turn while installing the pump and setting the timing of..

Also some Kick Butt base gaskets came in.
These are very much like the James Metal Rubber coated ones...that they don't make for the Ironheads.

Time to box up and give Wonder Woman a Call....

#145 ·
Now that is a box o parts with the motor !! side and rocker covers coming in flat rate boxes?

Tolda ya my post lady looks like sasquach ... or Shreik maybe both

#147 ·
going forward with my Seat bracket for my solo seat. Since I am keeping it a swingarm bike I do not need to worry about springs but i do want to make it stable.

Adding to the fact that I am replacing the rear horseshoe that was cut by the previous owner of the frame I welded in plugs to the rear mounting holes on the horseshoe that I picked up from skajaquada.

and welded and ground down again ... keep in mind it is Oxy/Acet gas welding since that is all I have.

#148 ·
All this looking at SevenYearFamine's tranny gears led me to go look at mine while it is waiting for the rest of the bottom end to get home.

Keep in mind I have zero running information on this engine, got it as a basket and have basically considered everything in the motor suspect. Jesse and Roach both asked about my tranny and honestly I have been a little reluctant to get into until I get the rest of the motor in line. Well guess it is time to look at the gears.

Looks like 1st and 4th countershaft gears have a bit or wear on them and the dogs that fit into them look a little worn as well.

The grit/shavings are from a bunch of dust getting blown on it by my shop vac and not from the tranny.(happens when you have a 4 year old for a shop assistant)

The one picture of the brass arm shows a pretty deep groove in it, but it is uniform and looks like it was for fitting with the gear.

The dogs look like they have been used, just as much as the rest of the bike was and is prolly all original from 1975.

what does a set of andrews gears run ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.