Jockey Journal Forum banner

Best Years for a Shovelhead?

87K views 79 replies 60 participants last post by  76shuvlinoff 
#1 ·
Looking into getting a shovel when i get back and remember reading somewhere that certain years were more reliable or sought after. whats the thought process on that and why or does it really matter?

#2 ·
The first years, 66-69 (generator bottom). They are the most sought after and will demand more dollars to purchase.
70 -84 (alternator bottom) were mostly AMF years and can be had for less dollars.
Reliablitiy depends on who the previous owner was and how he treated the bike and what modifications he did.

#6 ·
Aside from the obvious desirability of generator motors, it's often been said that the last couple of years were very well engineered as they were increasing quality (compared to some of the early AMF years) in advance of Evo production.
That said, they're all pretty old now, and I'd rather have a properly rebuilt '73 than a fucked up '83.

#7 ·
hope this didnt start anything. so the jest is pretty much shoot for something in the 60s because of the generator or something in the 80's for better quality control during the AMF years. im sure i'll get bashed for this but whats so great about the generator verses alternator?

#13 ·
I have shovels from 73 to 83. anywhere from 30,000 to 130,000 miles on them and have never had a problem finding parts for any of them. I can get most any engine part at my HD dealer in Fargo. Strangely, the best running is my 74" 73 over the later 80"ers, and it's faster, or seems to be, but I don't have any dyno numbers or anything. Any of them is faster than my evo.

#14 ·
well i have and still own both generations of shovels and i prefer the 60's versions because i like their look better and they are sort of a morphing of what was the pan earlier on.....for the shovels in the 70's i like them as well and they seem to be pretty plentiful lately and fairly inexpensive to start with .....the newer 80's are easy to find as well but for some reason just don't appeal to me....gen vs alt......generators seem to be easier to me to work on and look really cool compared to the alt motor....the alt version of course with the newer charging system seems to be more trouble free as far as maintenance goes but alot more common out there and i like it that my 68 FLH isn't one of 20 on runs and parties....but its your call in the end...good luck...

#15 ·
I own a 66 generator Shovel and as people have said they are easy to work on. Just this weekend, I drove from Ottawa Canada to Sudbury, a 15 hour ride and back. Only problem I had was a clutch cable adjustment. Yes they look cool as hell and chicks dig em. Now if I could only post a picture on this site!!!!

Mark

#16 ·
thanks for all the info, simplicity is always the way to go and the 60's look alright. this is something posted from where im from. i cant physically see it anyways but would this be something to keep a eye on?

66 rebuilt shovelhead motor only $3500 obo
Flywheels Balanced an Trued
New Rods and Crankpins...
All new bearings and seals
Heads flowed and intake manifold trued and matched to carb S&S B carb
Heads and intake ported and polished..
10.5 to 1 Hi Comp Pistons
S&S oil pump gears and breather gear
Aftermarket engine case
All new valves, guides, springs, seals and rocker arm shafts Manley
Accel coil and ignition system
Has generator to alternator replacement.
would the generator/ alternator replacement be a bad thing?

#18 ·
Your listing mentioned aftermarket engine case. Do you know if it's the left side or right side? Left side is what would determine if it's a '66 or not.

Generator Shovels are titled to the motor numbers. Alternator Shovels are titled to the frame numbers.

Have a plan up front on what you want to build because buying an engine that has an aftermarket left case may make things harder.

Something to keep in mind.

#17 ·
does that mean from the factory or from owners doing their own thing to them?
factory, there are some half year parts, and changes in production as they made the transition to evo. Maybe not hard to get parts, but hard to get the retards behind the counter to get you the right parts is a better way to say it.

#19 ·
yeah i think if you are going to pay that kind of cash for a generator shovel it should at least have the original matching cases to start with....it would be a must to have at least the number side to keep it real....my opinion of course but i would pay substantially lower for aftermarket cases on an older shovel motor if it came thru my doors over one that had original matching cases....and hey creepyman.....are you telling me you actually have a hd dealer in your area that will order or stock shovel parts ?? wow....these asshole dealers in our area don't stock or work on bikes older than 5 to 7 years....period....they won't order any older parts and barely stock necessities for an evo....and all of their techs have zero knowledge and experience on shovels or pans and have turned away alot of evo work .....must be nice man....

#21 ·
As a rule, all year model Shovels (slabside and cone) are old enough that they have very little in common with the way they were when they arrived at the dealer. Some were well maintained. Most were not. I prefer the 74" models, as I don't much care for the later 'cowpie' trannys. Also, as I haven't done whole-bike servicing for years, every Shovel that I have had in my shop has been treated to an engine/tranny teardown and rebuild. They all had some ailment that required such. Some have been in really good shape, considering their years. Just as many were really trashed. All were given a fresh start on life. I prefer stock builds, but gave some stroker wheels, aftermarket cams and carbs, and electronic ignitions. Mostly at customer requests, though I'm a firm believer in the electronic ignition technology of today, and recommend it over points.

Jack

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.